Jump to content

Sun 25th Sept: Ch SF: Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs KO 16:00 (Premier Sports)


Who will win?  

69 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Featherstone Rovers
      44
    • Batley Bulldogs
      25

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/22 at 15:30

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, binosh said:

It all went wrong for Featherstone when McDermott shipped out Chisholm & Pickersgill.

At that point I believe the team stopped putting the extra heart into it.

Why didn’t he pick Bussey & Davies for that game they’re perfect players to counter Batleys type of forwards.

It all went wrong for Featherstone the day you recruited Mc Dermott.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


38 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

You are correct. I must admit I have made a few snide comments as regards Fev. However in all fairness I have heard plenty from Fev fans about Wakey over the years. I accept Belle Vue has been an embarrassment for years. I also congratulate Fev in their ground development. But many Fev fans have always yapped on about how they should be in SL Infront of Wakey because they have a nicer ground. Well all I can say to that is Wakey never stopped them getting there,(apart from once 😃) they have had years to try and continually fail. This season I thought they were going to have a right go but to be knocked out in the semi is terrible. Fancy stands or not ,many seasons of failure is down to no one else but Fev

All clubs have fans who are full of bile, but it's never the majority.  I choose not to drop to their level.

I appreciate what you're saying about failure being down to no-one but Fev and over the past frew seasons, I'd agree wholeheartedly; promotion through on field success is the only way for me personally.  However, we also had a number of years when we finished top of what is effectively the second division when there was no promotion due to licencing.  One of those years, Widnes were promoted from sixth in the league.  All of the licencing years, Wakefield and Cas had grounds no better than ours, but imcumbency ruled Wakey in and Fev out, this is probably where the complaints from some quarters comes from about Wakefield being in over Featherstone.

I, for one Fev fan, am chuffed to bits that Belle Vue is finally getting some investment.  Personally, I prefer that to the much vaunted Newmarket development, but that's just me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

It all went wrong for Featherstone the day you recruited Mc Dermott.

That's hard to argue with.  Not many of us were pleased to welcome him after his 'small towns like Featherstone' nonsense.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I must admit stands are nice, but believe me a full size flat pitch the SL rugby is played on is much nicer.

 

 

A SL place you wouldn't have had if the criteria had been strictly adhered to but plans kept coming out and the RL kept falling for it. Anyway its FINALLY going to be upgraded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Known Brian Mac for 40 years since Eastmoor days. Great straight forward down to earth bloke. He gives it to you straight and accepts it back. Believe me he will be very disappointed but also realistic. Batley won fair and square. Mac would be the first to admit that fact. Although he may never publicly admit it deep down I believe he also knew that the Fev group were not good enough to get past Leigh.

A coach can only do so much. The players have to possess an inner fight and ruthless desire to overcome times of adversity on the pitch. These traits are easy to show when in the ascendancy but you need them during the grind. That Fev team failed yesterday and some players showed their true colours. 
 

That was Batley’s very own grand final. I expect Mac to leave although I do not posses any inside knowledge.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Known Brian Mac for 40 years since Eastmoor days. Great straight forward down to earth bloke. He gives it to you straight and accepts it back. Believe me he will be very disappointed but also realistic. Batley won fair and square. Mac would be the first to admit that fact. Although he may never publicly admit it deep down I believe he also knew that the Fev group were not good enough to get past Leigh.

A coach can only do so much. The players have to possess an inner fight and ruthless desire to overcome times of adversity on the pitch. These traits are easy to show when in the ascendancy but you need them during the grind. That Fev team failed yesterday and some players showed their true colours. 
 

That was Batley’s very own grand final. I expect Mac to leave although I do not posses any inside knowledge.

I think the attitude of the players is entirely down to the coaching staff and that failure lands with BM. Yesterday Fev looked like they were expecting an easy win with one eye on Leigh and Batley made them pay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

I agree.  Sadly Webster wasn't able to go fulltime due to his academic career and is now lost to the game.

Ryan Carr was our best coach in years.   We played some brilliant Rugby under both and even though we were 2nd best both seasons, it was a joy to watch.  This season, turning up and supporting felt like a chore.  I gave most away games a swerve and if I hadn't had a season ticket I think I'd have missed a lot of home games too.

Can't see me forking out for a ST unless there's a new head coach in place.

Agree with that but we've bought one season tickets while they are on offer,good value imo. Surely he won't be staying or it looks like another dull season. But regardless we shall be there, it's OUR club not Mc's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think the attitude of the players is entirely down to the coaching staff and that failure lands with BM. Yesterday Fev looked like they were expecting an easy win with one eye on Leigh and Batley made them pay.

Having said that Batley were well worth their win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I suppose it is interesting that both former successful head coaches,Powell and McDermott,have had difficult first seasons.

Lots of players used.

That former Aussie union guy,Darwin,seems to have been correct.Perhaps.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/its-the-pro14s-fault-former-wallaby-prop-ben-darwin-crunches-the-data-with-some-surprising-results/

Should be an interesting 2023 if Warrington retain Powell and Featherstone release McDermott. 

Ive been banging on about cohesion for years, i loved it when i listened to a podcast wi Darwin putting the stats next to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Known Brian Mac for 40 years since Eastmoor days. Great straight forward down to earth bloke. He gives it to you straight and accepts it back. Believe me he will be very disappointed but also realistic. Batley won fair and square. Mac would be the first to admit that fact. Although he may never publicly admit it deep down I believe he also knew that the Fev group were not good enough to get past Leigh.

A coach can only do so much. The players have to possess an inner fight and ruthless desire to overcome times of adversity on the pitch. These traits are easy to show when in the ascendancy but you need them during the grind. That Fev team failed yesterday and some players showed their true colours. 
 

That was Batley’s very own grand final. I expect Mac to leave although I do not posses any inside knowledge.

Interesting comment that "he accepts it back". The bloke has shown no contrition or willingness to discuss anything with the fans. I think yesterday was the first time I've seen him on the field post game, not surprisingly he chose to stand in the centre of the field, away from any of the fans. Also he reportedly didn't entertain a post match drink in the clubhouse. He's shown an unwillingness to adapt or change from his "master plan" or "process", which after a season of matches, I'm still none the wiser what that actually was. I hope he's shown the door pronto.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think the attitude of the players is entirely down to the coaching staff and that failure lands with BM. Yesterday Fev looked like they were expecting an easy win with one eye on Leigh and Batley made them pay.

If they thought that they were in for an easy win then they really are a set of mugs. Batley had a win and a draw against them already this season so surely that is incentive enough to be on your guard. 
 

Perhaps some players no better and decide they want to go it alone!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Having said that Batley were well worth their win.

True and I don't want to take anything away from what was a great effort from Batley, but if the attitude and intensity from Fev was what it should have been it shouldn't have matter how well or poorly Batley played. There is too much quality in that Fev team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Interesting comment that "he accepts it back". The bloke has shown no contrition or willingness to discuss anything with the fans. I think yesterday was the first time I've seen him on the field post game, not surprisingly he chose to stand in the centre of the field, away from any of the fans. Also he reportedly didn't entertain a post match drink in the clubhouse. He's shown an unwillingness to adapt or change from his "master plan" or "process", which after a season of matches, I'm still none the wiser what that actually was. I hope he's shown the door pronto.

His master plan was simple- get to the MPG, pray to all Gods in the run up and hope for Leigh to have a bad day at the office and get the run of the green all game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

True and I don't want to take anything away from what was a great effort from Batley, but if the attitude and intensity from Fev was what it should have been it shouldn't have matter how well or poorly Batley played. There is too much quality in that Fev team.

point is , batley are a team fev aint .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Interesting comment that "he accepts it back". The bloke has shown no contrition or willingness to discuss anything with the fans. I think yesterday was the first time I've seen him on the field post game, not surprisingly he chose to stand in the centre of the field, away from any of the fans. Also he reportedly didn't entertain a post match drink in the clubhouse. He's shown an unwillingness to adapt or change from his "master plan" or "process", which after a season of matches, I'm still none the wiser what that actually was. I hope he's shown the door pronto.

Just replying out of curtesy. When I say “he accepts it back” I mean in general life. I am not making excuses for BM but he has always been a deep complex character. This fact should not have been a shock to the chairman and his staff etc. BM is a very focused and proud individual. Perhaps too regimentally structured at times. He will see this as failing in his allocated mission. 
 

Regarding engaging with the fans I am not in a position to offer a view either way on this. If I recall correctly things got off to a bad start right from his appointment. Comments attributed to him about the town etc. I personally get that and understand why some fans/residents would be unhappy about it. Some people have long memories and rightly so. After match drink can’t comment because I don’t know.

Regarding his “master plan” or “process” I understand your point. BM probably is limited when it comes to being a master coach. Size does appear to be his weapon of choice. I just want to illustrate by naming one player. I think Jon Davies is a fantastic player for Fev Rovers. Seen him on numerous occasions and this boy can hit. BM does not play him. Could this be the magical size factor coming into play?
 

So look I like BM as a top bloke with a heart of gold. However like all of us he does not get everything right and perhaps now is the time to move on. Fev Rovers is bigger than my friend BM!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

‘Attributed to’?  I get that he’s your friend and it’s admirable you speak out for him, but his comments about small towns being no good to SL were said on live TV. His principles were obviously not so important to him after all as he spent the past year trying to achieve just that.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

‘Attributed to’?  I get that he’s your friend and it’s admirable you speak out for him, but his comments about small towns being no good to SL were said on live TV. His principles were obviously not so important to him after all as he spent the past year trying to achieve just that.  

Agreed. I did not condone it at the time and I do not condone it now. Perhaps it’s one of those life lessons. Know your audience as you never know where life’s going to take you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

point is , batley are a team fev aint .

Fev were a team, before BM dismantled the team spirit they seemed to have in abundance last year. Yesterday they were reliant on the individual efforts of Leilua and a couple of others to try and win the game and they probably should have pulled it off in the end, but for choking the last couple of sets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

Instead you have a big showdown with a better team so you should be pleased....

Oh don't worry , as I put in my other post , Batley are the Championship party poopers, they've done it before at Leigh , so I'll expect a hard contest and Leigh to be deadly serious in our preparation 

Hope you bring a good following and we see some good Rugby from both sides 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...