RL World Cup - ideas to get kids interested

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Anything constructive idea wise? 

Thinking of own kids I think pushing the Mascot works (often the thing they like most at any game).

Is there going to be a Wallchart to print off or buy?

Good idea about the wall chart, my kids will like that, much like I did in Mexico 86 and Euro 88. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’d kill for a RLWC sticker book and yes, I’m a fully grown adult. Anyone got a swap of Abevia McDonald?

It'd be cheaper than the FIFA WC version: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/31/inflation-pushes-average-cost-of-filling-panini-2022-world-cup-sticker-album-to-870-pounds-football 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I remember in primary school, quid pocket money, 8 packs of stickers and change left for 4 penny sweets. What more could a 10 year old in the late 80s want? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

My nephew got the Premier League one last season, I think. I don’t know how my jaw didn’t break when it hit the floor when it come to buying ten packs for him. 

Appreciate its not easy or cheap for anyone but you can’t beat going to a game. It’s easy to forget the accessibility we have as fans to players and that’s overlooked sometimes, I feel. Getting up close to the players can really make you take an interest as a kid, I feel and certainly was the case for me over the years. 

I remember sitting in front of some posh seats at the 2000 Grand Final and the NZ Māori team were sat in the seats behind ahead of the World Cup and I got my programme signed by the whole squad and a picture with a load of them on a wind up camera (though the picture quality come out rubbish in Boots). 

• Like 2

What's the average age of the posters on this thread asking what da kidz will want?

40 ... 45? More than 45.

Ask the kids. Don't indulge nostalgia.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, Phil W said:

For the games in Newcastle I hope there's school visits booked in, Schools could adopt a nation and ev n if they're not there in person encouraged to watch on TV.

I’m sure something similar went on during 2013. A girl I went to school with was a couple of months into her first teaching job and had the New Zealand team in her Year 4 class. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’m sure something similar went on during 2013. A girl I went to school with was a couple of months into her first teaching job and had the New Zealand team in her Year 4 class. 

Blimey. I know sports people have a reputation of not being particularly academic but...

😁😁😁

• Haha 3

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What's the average age of the posters on this thread asking what da kidz will want?

40 ... 45? More than 45.

Read my second sentence where I reference thinking what my own kids like 

40 something people often have little kids and have a good idea what engages them. Hence this might be the perfect place to ask 

Streuth.... you really have it in for me don't you?

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Didn't we get an announcement about an official esport partner for the World Cup a couple of years back? 

Seven League won the tender to find opportunities, nothing further was announced so presumably they didn't.

https://rlwc2021.com/article/173/seven-league-win-rlwc2021-gaming-and-esports-tender-

Seven League are owned by IMG, there is probably a good conspiracy story in there somewhere.

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Read my second sentence where I reference thinking what my own kids like 

40 something people often have little kids and have a good idea what engages them. Hence this might be the perfect place to ask 

Streuth.... you really have it in for me don't you?

Not really - just that the suggestions read more as just transposing what we'd have enjoyed as kids into what our kids would enjoy. It may be true but mine have never shown the slightest interest in sticker albums (for example) despite several attempts and, from asking, neither do any of their friends.

I think for this World Cup what would make the biggest difference is making sure that for the kids who are able to attend that there is a match day experience that engages them over and above the game itself. I've said before but every single child who attended the (women's) cricket World Cup final in 2017 got a plastic bat and ball set as they were leaving. A mini rugby ball - on the way out - or similar can surely be doable. (Similarly, for the Euros just gone, I knew in advance what would be at each ground and where in terms of merchandise, fun zones, places to eat etc - that's another easy one to get right but makes it more likely the experience will be good.)

They all seem to know about and follow sports people - and sports leagues, though the people seem more important - on the socials. If I were going in completely fresh with a remit to reach as many young people as possible, then it would be there that I would start. Obviously, it's easier for sports where the biggest stars actually engage with social media in a helpful way and don't do down the sponsors but that's a conversation for another day.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

40 ... 45? More than 45.

I was going to post this. Wallcharts and sticker books sound great to older people but I'm certain my kids wouldn't be interested. In fact anytime football ones were bought in the past the novelty soon wore off. Now at the mobile phone age no chance.

For kids these days it's all apps and short/viral videos, for better or worse. That's were the focus should be. Stuff like mascots is still great for the younger ones and for entertainment at the ground. That's all pretty timeless.