How to rebuild Scottish RL?

20 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

So do you think these teams offer something to the tournament. Why should Scotland be in the World Cup in place of Serbia or The Netherlands, and by the way I don’t think any of the teams should be in the World Cup, it should be 10-12 Teams Maximum.

Yes, they do. 

I’ve seen the emotion in players like Ashton Golding, representing their family and their ancestry, lining up for national anthems and others taking part in cultural dances showing emotion and pride. That’s what the World Cup offers. 

Some games are blowouts, that’s what happens at the World Cup sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

There were never any foundations to begin with, it was all built on sand! That's why I've always been critical of heritage teams and got shot down on here for it. 

Start from the beginning, find people who are interested and get exhibition matches going, focus on young players. Then look into schools, colleges, uni etc. Then build a competition. Play internationals against the likes of Germany, CZ, Malta etc using Scottish talent. If they're only a small level and not good enough for WCs, then so be it. Having fully heritage teams does no favours for anyone. 

Great Analogy, Built on Sand. No proper Basis just a few blokes with Scottish Granny’s trying to please them. Get them out of the IRL, they shouldn’t even be in it according the rules. The whole qualifying process is Skewed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Same thing Wales need. Money and infrastructure to have a pathway into professionalism. That requires a club in the pyramid.

Think better off to focus on Wales tbh.

I think we need to look at the sport actually being played in Scotland. We are words away from Professionalism. France isn’t even professional Yet, Let’s try get Scotland too 4 teams, that would be a start.

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Or we could just accept there’s no interest in rugby league in Scotland and leave it at that instead of ‘creating’ a false Scottish team full of English and Aussie players !

….and I would say the same about the Irish team. Makes a mockery of the competition

So say screw it instead of trying to develop our game.

• Like 1

Continued investment and a strategic plan over 5, 10, 15 years etc. It’s very simple really.

Comments like “Scotland don’t like RL” etc are so ridiculous. Really.

But sadly, it seems RL doesn’t really want Scotland, otherwise it would have put in some proper effort over the years. That’s not intended to deride the obvious efforts of the people at community level who have put in plenty of effort.

• Like 5

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yes, they do. 

I’ve seen the emotion in players like Ashton Golding, representing their family and their ancestry, lining up for national anthems and others taking part in cultural dances showing emotion and pride. That’s what the World Cup offers. 

Some games are blowouts, that’s what happens at the World Cup sometimes. 

You seem to the be the only person defending Scotland. If you want players to be only playing for grannies, you do you. This isn’t real emotion, I’m fairly sure most of these players couldn’t care less about the country of Scotland, but the opportunity to play in a World Cup is the main factor.

53 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Union is king in Scotland whether we like it or not. They always manage to fill Murrayfield.

Union isn't the king of anything in Scotland. Thousands of people enjoy singing "Flower of Scotland" at Murrayfield, people who wouldn't dream of attending any union game that didn't involve the national team. That's about it. 

45 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Football is King. Obviously. 

That's the truth.

• Like 3

There should be a minimum level of infrastructure to qualify for a WC. As it is, Scotland played by the rules and used heritage players. The rules need to change so that nations that are laying a real foundation are rewarded.

I think saying the Scots aren't interested in the game is a simplistic, inaccurate conclusion. If there is nothing to be interested in, then we can't expect any interest. If the game was able to establish a decent foundation, the interest would follow. 

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 minutes ago, The Lad said:

So say screw it instead of trying to develop our game.

Interest should go elsewhere we’ve being trying to develop the game in Scotland for 100 years, it doesn’t work, there not interested in playing the sport and we should leave it at that. If they want to start playing the sport they should do it on there own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

You seem to the be the only person defending Scotland. If you want players to be only playing for grannies, you do you. This isn’t real emotion, I’m fairly sure most of these players couldn’t care less about the country of Scotland, but the opportunity to play in a World Cup is the main factor.

I’m not into psychology and micro analysing the legitimacy of body language and visible emotion, that’s not my game. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

Interest should go elsewhere we’ve being trying to develop the game in Scotland for 100 years, it doesn’t work, there not interested in playing the sport and we should leave it at that. If they want to start playing the sport they should do it on there own.

Right and when the next world cup comes around you will be moaning at the low number of participating countries.

• Like 1

1st i believe the decline started with funding being stopped by the RFL to SRL. If funding is increased I believe they can at least run a decent competition to grow home grown players. Wales have had 2 teams in League 1 for sometime now & still struggle to win a single game. Even if 4 Scottish, 4 Welsh, 4 Irish clubs can play in a semi-pro tournament in the Union off season, it would allow some part time Union players to try League. I believe the game has the most potential in the British Isles, France, Africas & the PI compared to Americas of East Europe.

Also hosting a RLWC with Wales & Ireland would increase the exposure with the local population allowing for more growth & maybe investment in the sport

Edited by SuperNoob
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Interest should go elsewhere we’ve being trying to develop the game in Scotland for 100 years

How hard have we been trying?

You may think there may be easier wins elsewhere, but development over here tends to rely on a couple of Rugby League enthusiasts moving to an area and trying to start a team (Basingstoke Beasts, anyone?).

But a coherent strategy for development? No evidence of this so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

We've not really been trying for 100 years to develop the game in Scotland though have we?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Or we could just accept there’s no interest in rugby league in Scotland and leave it at that instead of ‘creating’ a false Scottish team full of English and Aussie players !

….and I would say the same about the Irish team. Makes a mockery of the competition

Ireland and Scotland are a mockery but I wouldn't say there's zero interest.

The Irish and Scots are not exposed to the game. Scotland is football mad, Ireland has their own sports and add football and Rugby Union to that too.

The only way we'll make progress in those countries is by being authentic.

Let them be terrible for the next 20/30/40 years.

And before someone says "oh well Ireland had all those English lads playing football for them"

It's different, football has been played there for over a hundred years. There's more Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton fans in Ireland than Munster, Leinster and Ulster fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damien said:

We've not really been trying for 100 years to develop the game in Scotland though have we?

Not entirely, But from what I’ve heard Rugby league has was first played in Scotland in 1904. If they Had interest in the sport I’m sure it would’ve been shown already. We need to stop chasing imaginary stuff that will likely Never come to fruition. Instead we should be focusing on Wales, A lost rugby league Heartland who have produced some of the all time greats. 2 Time Semi-Finalists and provided a good chunk of players in all Great Britain sides.

11 minutes ago, RayCee said:

There should be a minimum level of infrastructure to qualify for a WC. As it is, Scotland played by the rules and used heritage players. The rules need to change so that nations that are laying a real foundation are rewarded.

I think saying the Scots aren't interested in the game is a simplistic, inaccurate conclusion. If there is nothing to be interested in, then we can't expect any interest. If the game was able to establish a decent foundation, the interest would follow. 

I think Scots aren't interested in a team they feel doesn't represent them, rather than the sport itself. Scotland have played the last 5 WCs and nothing seems to have happened over there. Maybe if they heard a Scots accent or two they might get more involved. 

• Like 2

Posting as someone who does qualify for Scotland (and Wales) through his Grandparents. The only only way that you will increase interest and competitiveness in Scotland, Wales and Ireland short of a Pro Franchise in Super League, is to have aa annual home international tournament between England Knights, Scotland, Wales and Ireland post the Super League Grand Final and let things grow from there.

And before you ask, the French should be playing the full England side annually.

Sorted...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Not entirely, But from what I’ve heard Rugby league has was first played in Scotland in 1904. If they Had interest in the sport I’m sure it would’ve been shown already. We need to stop chasing imaginary stuff that will likely Never come to fruition. Instead we should be focusing on Wales, A lost rugby league Heartland who have produced some of the all time greats. 2 Time Semi-Finalists and provided a good chunk of players in all Great Britain sides.

That's nothing to do with what you said. We have done nothing in Scotland for much of my life, bar a short period when there was sports council funding for some development officers. It is certainly not a case of focusing on Scotland at the expense of Wales either.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

We have to accept not every country will like RL. Just because Scotland and Ireland play in the Six Nations, doesn't mean we have to obsess over them. Do PNG care about union? I doubt World Rugby are getting their knickers in a twist over them. 

I've always thought RL was better off sticking to countries where union isn't so ingrained and they can interfere, like Lebanon, Jamaica, Serbia, Greece, and RL can become the dominant code. RL has no chance in Scotland or Ireland. 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's nothing to do with what you said. We have done nothing in Scotland for much of my life, bar a short period when there was sports council funding for some development officers. It is certainly not a case of focusing on Scotland at the expense of Wales either.

They've competed in the last 5 WCs.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Posting as someone who does qualify for Scotland (and Wales) through his Grandparents. The only only way that you will increase interest and competitiveness in Scotland, Wales and Ireland short of a Pro Franchise in Super League, is to have aa annual home international tournament between England Knights, Scotland, Wales and Ireland post the Super League Grand Final and let things grow from there.

And before you ask, the French should be playing the full England side annually.

Sorted...

Speaking as a Welshman that qualifies for Ireland and England, I disagree.

England Knights games mean absolutely nothing.

The big difference in Wales will be Super League clubs actively developing Welsh talent.

Ireland and Scotland are after thoughts. Participation is tiny at all levels.

England Knights belting Scotland or Ireland is not gonna make a difference.

You're right though, England should be playing France every year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

I've always thought RL was better off sticking to countries where union isn't so ingrained and they can interfere, like Lebanon, Jamaica, Serbia, Greece, and RL can become the dominant code. RL has no chance in Scotland or Ireland. 

Union will interfere anywhere, given the slightest opportunity, even where you'd least expect it. 

Sol Mokdad could tell you all about it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

. There's more Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton fans in Ireland than Munster, Leinster and Ulster fans.

There are more Liverpool "fans" in Wales too. More than than in Liverpool, that's for sure.

I argue with my Welsh in-laws about it every time I see them. (And I've been told to stop doing this, repeatedly, by my partner.)

Edited by Stuff Smith