Famous Ancient Greeks

I was teaching recently about famous Ancient Greeks and I happened to mention who I thought was probably the most famous. Since then I've been on a bit of a quest to find out who it is and remarkably I've found a lot of people can't name one or go for Zeus or Herakles or something like that. My opinion is skewed by having a degree in ancient history.

I've been wording it as: if you were on family fortunes and you were asked 'famous Ancient Greek' who would come into your mind first.

Who would you say?

Socrates? Plato? Arianna Huffington? Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder?

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Michael Korkidas must be getting on a bit these days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just want to add, I would have loved to have studied ancient Greece.

I have spent many years visiting various ancient Greek sites and museums as an aside to my summer holidays.

This year, for my 60th birthday, I ticked one off my bucket list, a visit to the Acropolis and the wonder that is  the Parthenon. Truly amazing place that brought tears to my eyes.

• Like 2