Salford FC move to AJB is OFF

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

If its the former, and there are indications that they do want to continue to support, then SRD should now be relatively secure at the AJ Bell over the next few years. 

As an RL fan, unless for some reason you hate SRD and would like to see their demise, then this should be preferable in every sense of the word.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Don't want to start any conspiracy theory but can the fact that Salford City have pulled out of any move to the AJ Bell  have anything to do with the fact that the money man behind the football club - Singapore businessman Peter Lim - is also owner of struggling Spanish Football club Valencia who have fallen on hard times and cash is short? According to a BBC report Mr. Lim who bought Valencia in 2014 (his friend Gary Neville became manager there) has not been seen since 2018. 

I think Mr Lim resided in Hong Kong and the Chinese authorities have prevented money from leaving parts of Asia,especially since the latest Covid outbreak.It has affected some soccer clubs in higher leagues.

3 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Seeing as you're an expert on all things Salford can you provide us all with details of how much money Salford City Council made from the sale of The Willows and the subsequent new build housing estate that replaced it?

Thanks luv.x

I looked at this as I never knew the council was involved.I thought John Wilkinson sold it to a director,Watson,a housing developer. I had to glean the facts from the rugby league club friendly,Star. 

https://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=2897

However,the denouement seems to be City West,bagging 2.7 million from the Homes and Community Agency.

All the wheeling and dealing,wheels within wheels,and there is money out there.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/property/willows-salford-new-homes-weaste-12360756

All very straight forward avoidance and evasion...Lots of agencies out there.Only known to a few,seemingly.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

23 hours ago, dboy said:

There's no "previously" about it.

They still do not pay their rent.

The tax payers of Salford continue to subsidise them, whilst they spoff their rent money on 8-year marquee player deals.

They smell more like a Bradford Bulls waiting to happen every year.

Problem is, its a community stadium and sale vultures dont in any way represent Salford. 

The Red devils are building nicely as the much over hyped sharks flash their regional branding to the dismay of local people 

The Sharks have tried before to colonise other sports grounds and salford need to be extremely cautious about deals with them

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The storm said:

The Sharks have tried before to colonise other sports grounds and salford need to be extremely cautious about deals with them

You can tell how times have changed when some need to be reminded that K&C are our market competitors.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Is it true that Sale has git the contract for AJ Bell and potentially able to buy the staduim in 5 years?

No

Its just callum walker repeating old stories and trying to sensationalise his platform

Not sure who is yer Callum fella. A swift Google brought up a company that specializes in seemingly tasteful interiors and someone who is a leading expert in languages.

Both vital but I doubt they possess exclusives on RL grounds.

When I searched around it seems it really originally arose from an opinion puff from an online influencer whose name sounds like something painful in yer rear. 

It has no direct quotes and sits uneasily next to a claim Ealing RUFC will be Wales' fifth region. Erm. Yeah erm. 

There are some in TGG who feel/believe that K&C are just friends in sport at best and have no agenda above and beyond their business interests at worst.

This Sale business is a beautiful example of why that's not only illogical but factually incorrect at its base.

If this story has traction it's not surprising and it's not The Shop Around the corner and "just business".

Why has RL not made more inroads ?  Well part of the explanation must be a simplistic understanding of events and situations like this one.

RU is clear and logical about what it does and how it goes about it and I think few would argue that RL does the same.

If the end of this story is, and it's still highly likely, Sale is the pre-eminent rugby (?) club in the area and SRD disappears it will be as much about RL's inaction and lack of understanding as it will be about the Vichies' marketing and sporting strategy.

Cue removal of important RL issue to the cross code nonsense?

If this ends up falling through and Sale become the top dog there, it is not the fault of "RL" or "us", it is completely down to Salford and their actions (or lack of) 

As a club I cannot stand Sale, they are a crappy cuckoo club and even by RU standards I dislike them intensely. 

But their job is to look after Sale RU and nobody else, which it would seem they are doing. Wailing about RU and conspiracy theories will keep RL exactly where it is - in a bitter perpetual victim mindset.

Many people like RU (for some reason) and if RL is that much better, it's up to convince the public to get on board because nobody else is going to do it for it. 

Salford do have seemed to upped their game lately so hopefully this won't come to pass. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

If this ends up falling through and Sale become the top dog there, it is not the fault of "RL" or "us", it is completely down to Salford and their actions (or lack of) 

As a club I cannot stand Sale, they are a crappy cuckoo club and even by RU standards I dislike them intensely. 

But their job is to look after Sale RU and nobody else, which it would seem they are doing. Wailing about RU and conspiracy theories will keep RL exactly where it is - in a bitter perpetual victim mindset.

Many people like RU (for some reason) and if RL is that much better, it's up to convince the public to get on board because nobody else is going to do it for it. 

Salford do have seemed to upped their game lately so hopefully this won't come to pass. 

Salford have been hamstrung somewhat in the fact they have no control over any match day revenue and are unable to use the stadium to generate cash via concerts/boxing events etc as they are only a tenant.

Feel free to list what "actions" Salford should've been taking, I'm all ears.

Sale and/or Salford City being the lead operator has always been the likely outcome, even after the joint buy fell through, as they can pay market rates for that position whereas SRD can't.

Seems that the council just thought they could get more out of a deal than the initial sale offered, and looks like they were right. What does the article say about SRD's tenure at AJ Bell if Sale become operator?

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

This looks like it could be worse than a straight swap for the football clubs ground. If Sale buy it and Devils can’t generate income off ground they are done and now they might not even be able to have a smaller ground that they own. 

If the football club move to AJ Bell as renters, they won’t be giving up their ground for sale but rent. 

RFL based in Manchester with all greater Manchester teams in decline, with no suitable stadiums and blocking a team in central Manchester.

I'm pretty sure that Wigan and Leigh would disagree with all Greater Manchester teams being in decline. Although it's the same old story with infrastructure, on the field Salford have had a decent few year and Swinton were promoted again last season. Let's not rush to judgement, wait and see how it pans out.

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No that´s a fair point on Wigan and Leigh but I didn´t really think of Wigan as being in Manchester. Swinton are groundsharing at a ground they can generate nothing from and the sport has no academy in Manchester. Oldham have collapsed in the last two decades. Rochdale look cooked. It´s not exactly a legacy of success. 

Ownership/control of infrastructure is the issue for so many of the clubs at various different levels.

I hope Salford (and others) can secure solutions that aid their development as soon as possible.

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No that´s a fair point on Wigan and Leigh but I didn´t really think of Wigan as being in Manchester. Swinton are groundsharing at a ground they can generate nothing from and the sport has no academy in Manchester. Oldham have collapsed in the last two decades. Rochdale look cooked. It´s not exactly a legacy of success. 

I'd have thought anyone in Manchester who likes league can latch onto Wigan as the successful and glamourous team?......it isn't far is it?

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd have thought anyone in Manchester who likes league can latch onto Wigan as the successful and glamourous team?......it isn't far is it?

It isn't geographical distance it's an emotional one, a case of attachment and soon loss.

The idea that SRD fans will watch their team disappear and then switch allegiance is one of the fallacies that allows the RFL to step in at Bradford and look the other way at Salford.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

It isn't geographical distance it's an emotional one, a case of attachment and soon loss.

The idea that SRD fans will watch their team disappear and then switch allegiance is one of the fallacies that allows the RFL to step in at Bradford and look the other way at Salford.

????

Not talking about switching allegiance 

I'm talking about a kid growing up in Manchester realising he likes rugby and deciding on his team.

If Salford didn't exist he could easily follow Wigan 

There are literally millions in other sports across this country who choose a club side which isn't the nearest to them 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

And the most embarassing post of the week award goes to....🤦‍♂️

If you think kids choose club sport teams based only on distance you're embarrassing yourself SS 

Have a look how many Man Utd and Liverpool shirts float around my home town down here and you'll see 

As a Salford fan I hate to break the news to you that RL could exist in Manchester without your club existing. In fact your club has done remarkably little to push the sport based on your crowds.

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If you think kids choose club sport teams based only on distance you're embarrassing yourself SS 

Have a look how many Man Utd and Liverpool shirts float around my home town down here and you'll see 

As a Salford fan I hate to break the news to you that RL could exist in Manchester without your club existing. In fact your club has done remarkably little to push the sport based on your crowds.

😴😴😴.

People in Salford won't give 2 shiny shoites about a Manchester based team bar possibly a few dozen. Same with jumping ship to support Leigh, Wigan, Wire etc. It won't happen. 

For Salford fans it's Salford RLFC or nowt.👍

The fact you're comparing RL to the world's biggest sport in relation to glory hunting adds absolutely nothing to your argument.

Remind me who your team is again?

EDIT: And in relation to these thousands of new Manchester based supporters.... what's enticing them to the sport now that hasn't previously made them supporters?

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

There are literally millions in other sports across this country who choose a club side which isn't the nearest to them 

Losers!