The NRL salary cap now $12.1m (£6.5m)

Pulga

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

That's the issue. SL clubs signing players who aren't good enough to play in the NRL instead of developing their own players 

No the issue is simply numbers playing the game at junior level , only by increasing that number will we see more quality pro players being produced 

You have to sort out the bottom first , not the middle 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tosh said:

Would be interesting to see if this significant salary cap increase would see a shift in policy of NRL clubs targeting Super rugby Union players from Australia, NZ and the pacific but especially from New Zealand?

It would be much better to target all of the promising young players coming through, especially in NZ, and to be fair I think the NRL seem to do a pretty good job at that anyway. Obviously much more money tips the balance even further.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It would be much better to target all of the promising young players coming through, especially in NZ, and to be fair I think the NRL seem to do a pretty good job at that anyway. Obviously much more money tips the balance even further.

I agree but like you say the NRL already do a good job of this.

my thinking behind signing 2-3 top NZ union players would be not only would you get a potentially top class player but you’d also attract a lot of media attention and fans of certain players following their progress in the NRL.

Another bonus would be it would be more players for NZRL to pick from and depending on their heritage possibly Samoa and Tonga.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tosh said:

my thinking behind signing 2-3 top NZ union players would be not only would you get a potentially top class player but you’d also attract a lot of media attention and fans of certain players following their progress in the NRL.

Another bonus would be it would be more players for NZRL to pick from and depending on their heritage possibly Samoa and Tonga.

I certainly wouldn't be adverse to that. To be honest I think we need a second NZ NRL team to really make strides in this area. With a much higher salary cap and higher average wages then RL could make huge strides. The game will always be limited with just the Warriors and kids having to go to Australia.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Tosh said:

I honestly don't think you would see any benefit. 

Nobody in Australia would care to start with and rugby league is huge in Auckland. Doing that to appease a few towns in NZ isn't worth it. NZ is miniscule. 

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I honestly don't think you would see any benefit. 

Nobody in Australia would care to start with and rugby league is huge in Auckland. Doing that to appease a few towns in NZ isn't worth it. NZ is miniscule. 

Not sure I agree with you mate on that.

I remember all the headlines that were created when the likes of Tuigamala, Gallagher and Innes etc signed for league clubs in England back in the early 90’s.

plus Mathew ridge for manly in the Winfield cup days.

Lomu going to league after the 95’ Union World Cup was also huge back then.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I think it's great news. An increasing salary cap is the sign of a healthy and vibrant competition. 

That level of salary cap is also more than enough to attract the premier rugby talent in the Pacific and make RL the game of choice. It is also very competitive with any rugby competition in the world, many of which are seeing declining salary caps.

NRL salary cap outstrips Gallagher Premiership for first time (rugbypass.com)

Clubs will be able to spend up to $12.1 million (£6.7 million) on players next season – a record figure and an increase from the 2022 figure of $9.6 million – with a rise in the minimum salary for a top 30-squad to $120,000.

The Gallagher Premiership is currently set at a reduced £5 million, a figure that will increase to £6.4 million in 2024.

Interesting that a U.K. union site is reporting on this.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Clubs will be able to spend up to $12.1 million (£6.7 million) on players next season – a record figure and an increase from the 2022 figure of $9.6 million – with a rise in the minimum salary for a top 30-squad to $120,000.

The Gallagher Premiership is currently set at a reduced £5 million, a figure that will increase to £6.4 million in 2024.

1. Interesting that a U.K. union site is reporting on this.

Tbf Rugby Pass have contributors from all over the world, I always thought they were more SH focused if anything. 

They certainly have a lot of writers who are within the general aura of the NRL. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

With 2 extra players, bigger game day squads and much bigger squads generally required in Union I think the NRL is much further ahead in real terms than these figures suggest.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Plus union clubs have larger squads (i.e more players to pay within the cap) so the ‘average’ difference favours the NRL even more than just the overall number vs number comparison.

• Like 2

As this is just the 2023 salary cap announcement I wonder if/what the annual increases will be for the duration of the 5 year TV deal (2023 to 2027). Historically they always slightly increased throughout the deal.

Hopefully something like $200k to $400k annually bringing it to circa $13m to $13.5m by 2027.

Will be interesting to see the full details once negotiations are finalised.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

With 2 extra players, bigger game day squads and much bigger squads generally required in Union I think the NRL is much further ahead in real terms than these figures suggest.

Very good point, that`s one of the reasons that make NRL/fumbleball (afl) comparisons difficult, especially with their ~44 + first grade squads. The money has got to go a lot further.

I`ve heard good commentators over here say that running a Rugby League club is a way less expensive prospect compared to our main competitor, approximately $30m compared to their $40 - $50m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Not sure I agree with you mate on that.

I remember all the headlines that were created when the likes of Tuigamala, Gallagher and Innes etc signed for league clubs in England back in the early 90’s.

plus Mathew ridge for manly in the Winfield cup days.

Lomu going to league after the 95’ Union World Cup was also huge back then.

I think you might be underestimating the shift since then. Rugby League is much, much bigger than union in the Pacific region.

The places that it isn't are so small it's not worth talking about.

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I think you might be underestimating the shift since then. Rugby League is much, much bigger than union in the Pacific region.

Would create headlines in the Aussie media and NZ media but it’s just optic’s at the end of the day.

As we’ve seen a lot of people like to jump on the bandwagon and associate themselves with the “in thing” and it could cause more juniors to play the game in NZ and the pacific as well as get mote people watching on tv and companies investing in the game etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Super league cap needs increasing by 2024 to 3.5 million then 4.5 million by 2025 minimum

and bring back 50/50 rule, albeit tweaked to 60/40 

Feel free to supply the clubs with the extra Dosh to make use of it 😉

• Like 2

Look , good for the Aussies expanding their comp and they no doubt will draw some more talent for these shores despite all the horrible creatures you have to put up with in OZ , and all the dangerous spiders , sharks , Jellyfish , snakes and crocodiles ? 😉😂 

Up the Leopards 🐆😀

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

International union is still dominant even in the SH, is it not? League certainly has great foundations down there though. 

Just now, Live after death said:

Plenty of clubs have the dosh, well at least half. The rest need to up their game or step aside for championship clubs who gave c ambitions.

Precisely - settling the cap for the weakest side does nothing for the game. 

2 hours ago, Live after death said:

Plenty of clubs have the dosh, well at least half. The rest need to up their game or step aside for championship clubs who gave c ambitions.

So which Championship clubs could spend up to £ 3.5 million on a squad right now ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1