What constitutes being a supporter of a club ?

Maybe offer another viewpoint/ observation... I more than religiously followed a current Championship Club for over 40 plus years until a relative of mine turned semi -pro and he, due to Unviversity / employment has played for the last 7 years at variety of L1 clubs , mainly expansion teams .

At first the thought of missing 'my team' in action every week to follow his progress was hard to take , the idea of even half way supporting another team ???

I need not have worried, from the perspective of watching RL the last few season have been some of the most enjoyable (if not always succesful results wise 🙂- glory fans certainly not in most cases the exact opposite ! ) ConsequentiallyI now have another four clubs that I would class myself as a supporter of , trying to catch games when possible , buying a shirt / merch , joining in the social media discussions et etc

One thing that has stood out for me it's been as much the off field involvement , the people I've met and become friends with on my travels , thecontrasting  atmospheres on gameday even the way different clubs are goverened that has been as gratifying as the rugby itself .

Still love my lifetime team but involvement with others has seen me become less one-eyed and able to be more critical .. and occasionally complimentary ,not just of them but of the whole experience of being a rugby league 'supporter'

Edited by Rach
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

You must know my brother😄😄

Season ticket along with other old mates at Leeds Utd for Donkeys years.  Followed them all over Europe and in the Third Division and christened my niece Elland, but we call her Ellie.

I must say, when I got my vaccine I did specifically choose to go to Elland Road and I did wonder if this was like what they were doing having centres in Mosques and churches 😅

As you can imagine growing up watching Leeds over the past 20 or so years, I've used the "I was there with 9000 other people watching us lose 2-1 to Bury at home in the Johnstone's paint trophy, where were you?" plenty of times 😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

No doubt they will.  But I hope to God that the Club Secretary/Accountant/Owner understand that every person distributed through the categories that I mentioned is important to a club.  If they don’t then they are imbeciles.

But the point of my post was to ask why some people feel the need to categorise others.  Is it a need to feel superior, patronising or condescending to people who they believe are in a ‘lesser’ category?

It is so ironic that some people on here who do believe that they are in a ‘higher’ category than someone else means that their views are more valid may also be vehemently against the proposed IMG categorisation of clubs because they deem that unfair 😄

Why ? 

32 minutes ago, Rach said:

Maybe offer another viewpoint/ observation... I more than religiously followed a current Championship Club for over 40 plus years until a relative of mine turned semi -pro and he, due to Unviversity / employment has played for the last 7 years at variety of L1 clubs , mainly expansion teams .

At first the thought of missing 'my team' in action every week to follow his progress was hard to take , the idea of even half way supporting another team ???

I need not have worried, from the perspective of watching RL the last few season have been some of the most enjoyable (if not always succesful results wise 🙂- glory fans certainly not in most cases the exact opposite ! ) ConsequentiallyI now have another four clubs that I would class myself as a supporter of , trying to catch games when possible , buying a shirt / merch , joining in the social media discussions et etc

One thing that has stood out for me it's been as much the off field involvement , the people I've met and become friends with on my travels , thecontrasting  atmospheres on gameday even the way different clubs are goverened that has been as gratifying as the rugby itself .

Still love my lifetime team but involvement with others has seen me become less one-eyed and able to be more critical .. (not just of them but of the whole experience of being a rugby league 'supporter' )

For 80 minutes it's ' WAR ' but pre and post it's just RL fans ( or at least it should be , and is for most of the time ) mixing and following the GG with good natured humour ,nothing better 

• Like 1

The "spends money" thing is just plain wrong. Or do you think the more money you spend the bigger supporter? I know of people who spend a hell of a lot more than me sponsoring stuff, but it's only so he can take people to games, he barely even watches the matches, has no idea who any players are. So now he's a bigger supporter than other lads who go to even game, home and away?

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Season ticket along with other old mates at Leeds Utd for Donkeys years.  Followed them all over Europe and in the Third Division and christened my niece Elland, but we call her Ellie.

Must be pre-season tours if you've followed Leeds in Europe.😉

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dkw said:

The "spends money" thing is just plain wrong. Or do you think the more money you spend the bigger supporter? I know of people who spend a hell of a lot more than me sponsoring stuff, but it's only so he can take people to games, he barely even watches the matches, has no idea who any players are. So now he's a bigger supporter than other lads who go to even game, home and away?

Dkw, these are proffessional clubs , the distinction is between those that do provide the club with a financial contribution ( in whatever way or size ) and those that don't ( but profess to ' support ' said club ) 

It really isn't that difficult , nobody is saying " I'm better than you " , and this is my opinion , it is a distinction I hold , yes the word ' fan ' is from the word fanatic , and all clubs have ' fanatic supporters ' , but to me the general term now refers to those who have interest in the clubs performance , but don't put their hand in their pocket , these quite often are the ones who complain most when ' their ' team loses or the owner doesn't in their opinion put enough money in , I'm sure there are some of these round Workington way 😉

Edited by GUBRATS

4 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Must be pre-season tours if you've followed Leeds in Europe.😉

In the 1980’s we used to joke that the only way Leeds would get into Europe is by going on an 18-30 holiday to Benidorm and playing a Benidorm Hotel Waiters All Star XI.

I have just reread my post to which you refer.  It probably wasn’t clear but it was referring to my brother and some mates that followed Leeds across Europe in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.  Not me.  

Leigh have about 3/4,000 supporters , and another 10,000 ' fans ' , those 10,000 ' fans ' will only go to the games when we are in SL , or that's what they used to say , what they really mean ( well about 6,000 of them ) is they'll only go to the games when we are top of SL , it's free to get in and Dereck will buy them a pint as well 😉

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

To which point are you referring?

The one were you were calling supporters of clubs ( by attending games ) as suggesting they are superior and therefore against IMGs involvement , no , anybody who ' supports ' to whatever degree has our utmost respect , it's the ones who don't we don't have as much time for 

We also tend to want things done on the pitch , not the boardroom 

2 hours ago, Rach said:

Still love my lifetime team but involvement with others has seen me become less one-eyed and able to be more critical .. (not just of them but of the whole experience of being a rugby league 'supporter' )

Great post. 

I first watched RL when I was a student in Bradford (1981-84) so I have always ‘followed’ the Bulls to some degree. Being a southerner I switched to London when I came back south. I still have an interest in them (although far too much drama) but moving near Skolars a decade ago I started watching them and count my self a fan. 

I like being a fan - investing (emotionally, time wise and financially) in the team  although I guess first and foremost I’m a fan of RL. 

Just to add-

1. RL needs as many fans as it can get however we define them. 
2. I like the fact (at L1 level anyway) RL fans are passionate about their club and sport but not over-ally tribal.   

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Financial support is a subset of support. Just one kind of support, in fact, from the many kinds available.

@GUBRATSalso overlooks that his brother-in-law buying a Man City shirt every couple of years is financial support, modest though it may be.

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Surely that's child abuse!😃

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

@GUBRATSalso overlooks that his brother-in-law buying a Man City shirt every couple of years is financial support, modest though it may be.

If you reread the post you'll see I put that him buying a shirt every other year made him more of a fan/supporter than I am of Man Utd , because I've not contributed to UTD in any financial way for 30 years , prior to that is a different matter 

HTH 😉

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Don't think it's as big a debate as people are making it. A supporter goes to games regularly when they can. If not you follow the team. Or are a follower. 

Correct , you just beat me to it , the conversation usually goes " who do you follow ? " , Or " he follows City " , or " he's Leeds #### " 😉

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Don't think it's as big a debate as people are making it. A supporter goes to games regularly when they can. If not you follow the team. Or are a follower. 

The word for people who attend a match is 'attendee' and when added up they are included in the 'attendance'.

Besides which, one of the older chants goes, "We all follow [for example] Man United / We're all going to Wemberlee"

You really need to explain to them that they can't be mere followers.

Or, to put it another way, everyone you've described is a supporter.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The word for people who attend a match is 'attendee' and when added up they are included in the 'attendance'.

Besides which, one of the older chants goes, "We all follow [for example] Man United / We're all going to Wemberlee"

You really need to explain to them that they can't be mere followers.

Or, to put it another way, everyone you've described is a supporter.

Yes but your ' support base ' is your ' supporters ' 😁😉

• Like 1