Leeds Rhinos Captain

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Doesn’t exist!

Rohan Smith hasn’t named an official captain or captains for the season, he says it Will basically be a game by game decision.

Has this been done before?

As a leeds fan im glad we have a coach that ‘thinks outside the box’

Not sure this is a good idea 

There is always going to be a senior leadership group I know but you need a single leader/captain too 

I'd have thought Rhyse makes sense in terms of experience and position etc 

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure this is a good idea 

There is always going to be a senior leadership group I know but you need a single leader/captain too 

I'd have thought Rhyse makes sense in terms of experience and position etc 

Why isn't it a good idea? why do you need a single person with the title Captain?

If you have players that are leaders the only real thing a captain does in a game is be able to talk to the ref, and that person will be decided on depending on the game plan.

Like the short kick off thing we need people in the game to break the mold and try new ideas

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Why isn't it a good idea? why do you need a single person with the title Captain?

If you have players that are leaders the only real thing a captain does in a game is be able to talk to the ref, and that person will be decided on depending on the game plan.

Like the short kick off thing we need people in the game to break the mold and try new ideas

Rank, structure and authority are essential for teams (in any line) to succeed.

If, for Leeds, Kevin Sinfield said take the two but Jamie Peacock said run it, we would take the two. It would have been the reverse at England. That is just how it works, you can have all the senior leadership groups you want, but ultimately some 'one' has to make a decision at times (and bear that responsibility). Sometimes that is the coach too.

Ultimately I think this comes down to him not being 100% on the existing captain Kruise Leeming.

• Like 7

I thought Wigan did this a few years ago, although I think that was based on there being a 'leadership group' of about half a dozen with senior roles.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Being club captain is seen as something of an honour and often improves the right person - although have seen the opposite happen often enough.

If the Leeds players are comfortable with it then fair enough - sounds like a different twist on the co-captains / leadership group approach which comes in and out of fashion.

What will be interesting is if they make a final and start squabbling about who is going to be captain for the big match and get the opportunity to be presented and lift a trophy.   

• Like 1

Captains have to give comments to the press immediately after the game. I can understand no one volunteering to wear that blue and yellow shirt for one second longer than is absolutely necessary.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Leadership groups aren’t uncommon, Wigan did it under Maguire or Wane and had a group of about six that would rotate. I suppose Smith doesn’t want to name a leadership group but will have a group of names he’ll likely pick from rather than giving everyone a turn as if it’s under-7’s. 

33 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Like re inventing the wheel, I hope every player gets a go then or it could be mutiny on the good ship Rhino.

49 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Doesn’t exist!

Rohan Smith hasn’t named an official captain or captains for the season, he says it Will basically be a game by game decision.

Has this been done before?

As a leeds fan im glad we have a coach that ‘thinks outside the box’

Smith has gone WOKE down walkabout creek

Not naming a captain is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of in my rugby league life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I thought Wigan did this a few years ago, although I think that was based on there being a 'leadership group' of about half a dozen with senior roles.

To be fair that’s pretty much what smith has said he is doing

We had various captains last year when leeming was injured

Does rather feel like this decision has been made because there's no obvious leader in the team - rather than the angle they would have you believe, that there's too many to pick from. I think it will become Oledzki in years to come but I am surprised the likes of Sezer/Austin/Myler aren't even mentioned when it comes to this kind of discussion. Don't think Leeds have had a captain for more than one season since Sinfield retired so overall it won't make much difference but I still think it's an odd move to not appoint one. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Does rather feel like this decision has been made because there's no obvious leader in the team - rather than the angle they would have you believe, that there's too many to pick from. I think it will become Oledzki in years to come but I am surprised the likes of Sezer/Austin/Myler aren't even mentioned when it comes to this kind of discussion. Don't think Leeds have had a captain for more than one season since Sinfield retired so overall it won't make much difference but I still think it's an odd move to not appoint one. 

I think it’s actually just a continuation of the situation since Smith came in last year, he used various different captains.

Unless you’re someone like Kevin Sinfield or Andy Farrell the captains role is overstated IMO

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Played a lot of 3 sports and the captain has always mattered in teams I have played (admittedly a lot more in cricket or the rugby codes)

An overall leader the coach can rely on ....danger of too many voices both on and off the field. Especially if some of the voices disagree 

Maybe it's a genius move but the fact that every team sport ever has always named a captain tells us it's probably at best a distraction rather than a useful strategy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think it should be Martin or Oledski 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Played a lot of 3 sports and the captain has always mattered in teams I have played (admittedly a lot more in cricket or the rugby codes)

An overall leader the coach can rely on ....danger of too many voices both on and off the field. Especially if some of the voices disagree 

Maybe it's a genius move but the fact that every team sport ever has always named a captain tells us it's probably at best a distraction rather than a useful strategy 

He will name a captain for each game

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Confusing for who? The players will be given a game plan and will know their roles, just like they did last year when we had various different captains.

Having different captains forced due to circumstances is seen as a negative. Why plan for that by design? 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco