Fri 17th-Sun 19th Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Are you saying that Fev will be so far clear of Toulouse by the time they travel to France on September 16th for the away league game that they will be resting players and thus Toulouse will win? 😀

Seriously though, the narrative seems to have turned on its head from Toulouse looking set to struggle to now being unbeatable at home, and it may well be that most teams don't give them much of a game over there. I do think you're right in that most teams will rest players for their games at Toulouse, but if there's a team that stays close to them, whether it's Fev or someone else, they'll want to win in Toulouse to try and gain home advantage for the play-offs.

Listening to the commentary and summary on radio York last night Toulouse were good but certainly not world-beaters, York had 16 fit players and travelled with 7 first choice players missing so it was no contest really , Fev ,fax ,Widnes and a few more will fancy their chances there with a first choice squad , oh and watch us take the 2 points in July .😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Why do you think we signed two half backs who are 6'4" and 6'2" respectively? Not everyone can reach the top shelves for that precious tub of Norpak butter or Nutoka spread!

Good point. Height restricted halves are so passé when it comes to supermarket shelving duty

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kiggy said:

True, although probably not a question for you but how many full time players are in the Fév squad? They can't all have proper jobs as well?

To answer the question though...well I'm not sure of the exact answer but there are a number who don't have a job outside RL, a number who are employed by the club through the Foundation to help out in local schools and the community, and a number who have full-time jobs outside rugby league.

Worth pointing out that "full-time players" is a bit of a misnomer, yes there are some players who don't have a job outside RL but the team don't train full-time, just 2 or 3 evenings a week like most other Championship teams.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Good point. Height restricted halves are so passé when it comes to supermarket shelving duty

That's an interesting description, kiggy.  I wonder if the French have a word for it.

If my maths is correct, Toulouse have now gone 216 minutes without conceding a point.  I imagine that statistic will probably please Sylvain Houles as much as how many points they have scored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Worth pointing out that "full-time players" is a bit of a misnomer, yes there are some players who don't have a job outside RL but the team don't train full-time, just 2 or 3 evenings a week like most other Championship teams.

That is a better definition, although even the TO players don't train all the hours. Having the elite players in the squad makes a bit of a difference as they can't train full time which is why the are only used in exceptional circumstances 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

If my maths is correct, Toulouse have now gone 216 minutes without conceding a point.  I imagine that statistic will probably please Sylvain Houles as much as how many points they have scored.

Very pleased. It was the same when they were last in the championship. Attack wins games, defence wins you competitions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kiggy said:

True, although probably not a question for you but how many full time players are in the Fév squad? They can't all have proper jobs as well? I can't quite see Johno Ford stacking shelves in Lidl ! 

It will show though at the end of the season, TO and Fév having more full time players should be the top 2 teams. Anyone else getting one of those two spots would have done exceptionally well.

You're quite right, Ford works at B+M.

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Why do you think we signed two half backs who are 6'4" and 6'2" respectively? Not everyone can reach the top shelves for that precious tub of Norpak butter or Nutoka spread!

Danpak in Lidl.

Norpak was in Aldi until they lost a passing off case.  It's Nordpak now.

Just saying.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Very open game - eight tries to four - at Keighley this afternoon. As a neutral, I enjoyed it. Probably too 'loose' for the two coaches. First win - thoroughly deserved, too - at the third attempt for Cougars. Newcastle struggled to recover from a poor start. Playing up the Lawkholme slope, Thunder trailed 0-16 after 12 minutes. £15 admission. £3 for a 40-page programme. 1,658 attended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Fev #### bag social media at it again.  An absolute classless disgrace. Way way way 2 far.  

looks like some local chav running the accout

Is it on Facebook? Haven't seen anything  on here ,NO NEED for it !