Challenge Cup Round Two

The Ashton Bears v Dewsbury Rams second round tie has been switched to FLAIR Stadium, Dewsbury. It will take place on the Saturday (25th), kicking off at 2pm. Ashton tweet: "Despite our best efforts, we've been let down with a venue to host the game, so we will be on the road again." Disappointing!

GB Police v Westgate Common will be at Portico Vine Panthers ARLFC (the police's community partner club), St Helens, on the Sunday (26th), kicking off at 2pm.

Brentwood Eels v Wath Brow Hornets (@ Old Brentwoods, 1.30) and Hunslet ARLFC v Pilks (@ Hunslet Oval, 2.30) are scheduled for the Saturday.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Just now, POR said:

BEEB got  Cornwall v Rochdale Mayfield 1.oclock sat 25th

Yeah. I can see why they want to do that from a promotional point of view: "look how widespread RL is, we were in Edinburgh for round 1 and Cornwall for round 2".

I just think that Doncaster v Oldham is a better prospect than either of the matches chosen by the broadcasters.

Cornwall get more tv games than Leeds!

I have noticed with the BBC they want to tell the underdog story, until such time as big teams from the past and present are in it, then it jumps to them.

So the first rounds are always amateur v's new team, then it goes straight to Past Cup Winner v Super League Winner.

There are band of teams in the middle that never get a look in, your Doncasters, Rochdales etc

Doncaster and Oldham are 2 of the best teams in the competition at this stage, if the top 2 draw each other in round 5 they'll be fighting to show it

On 15/02/2023 at 13:15, Hopping Mad said:

The Ashton Bears v Dewsbury Rams second round tie has been switched to FLAIR Stadium, Dewsbury. It will take place on the Saturday (25th), kicking off at 2pm. Ashton tweet: "Despite our best efforts, we've been let down with a venue to host the game, so we will be on the road again." Disappointing!

GB Police v Westgate Common will be at Portico Vine Panthers ARLFC (the police's community partner club), St Helens, on the Sunday (26th), kicking off at 2pm.

Brentwood Eels v Wath Brow Hornets (@ Old Brentwoods, 1.30) and Hunslet ARLFC v Pilks (@ Hunslet Oval, 2.30) are scheduled for the Saturday.

What’s wrong with the Bears’ ground, how many do they think they’re going to get watching? 

14 hours ago, Jemmo said:

Cornwall get more tv games than Leeds!

I have noticed with the BBC they want to tell the underdog story, until such time as big teams from the past and present are in it, then it jumps to them.

So the first rounds are always amateur v's new team, then it goes straight to Past Cup Winner v Super League Winner.

There are band of teams in the middle that never get a look in, your Doncasters, Rochdales etc

Doncaster and Oldham are 2 of the best teams in the competition at this stage, if the top 2 draw each other in round 5 they'll be fighting to show it

Bit of a difference watching Saints v Wigan rather than Donny v Oldham mate. 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

What’s wrong with the Bears’ ground, how many do they think they’re going to get watching? 

Not been to Ashton's ground. Google's satellite map suggests, on matchdays, it's simply a roped pitch. Probably too basic (although not much less basic than Midlands Hurricanes' new 'ground' appears to be!).

A proper, railed barrier and dugouts (NCL requirements) are the least you need, I'd say. Big difference, between Westgate Common (roped pitch, no dugouts) and Heworth (railed pitch and dugouts), in my spectating experience last weekend.

Interested to know which alternative venue let Ashton down. Seems ludicrous Ashton have to surrender home advantage. Killed the tie.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Bit of a difference watching Saints v Wigan rather than Donny v Oldham mate. 

And there's a difference watching Cornwall v Amateur than Doncaster v Oldham. It's all relative for the stage of the tournament. It was a comment about the changing decision rationale, although I think you knew that 

Edited by Jemmo
  • Like 1

A couple of times didn't the BBC start by following an amateur team in an early round then showed their games as they progressed or the game of whoever knocked them out and so on?

That was a good way of doing it, gave a whole range of levels a chance and gave the whole thing a narrative arc to follow

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jemmo said:

A couple of times didn't the BBC start by following an amateur team in an early round then showed their games as they progressed or the game of whoever knocked them out and so on?

That was a good way of doing it, gave a whole range of levels a chance and gave the whole thing a narrative arc to follow

Yes, that’s what I’d prefer too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Brilliant gesture from OSJ, donating €500 to Dublin’s gofundme page.

At a time when there appears to be bad things going on this has just made my day. Epitomises what rugby league is all about. Brilliant gesture from the Orrell St James club. 

Dublin City I don’t profess to know anything about the make up of the Orrell St James club. However I can already tell that you are going to have a great weekend amongst great hosts. Good luck to both clubs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

At a time when there appears to be bad things going on this has just made my day. Epitomises what rugby league is all about. Brilliant gesture from the Orrell St James club. 

Dublin City I don’t profess to know anything about the make up of the Orrell St James club. However I can already tell that you are going to have a great weekend amongst great hosts. Good luck to both clubs.

With the other two surviving Wigan Community clubs now both away  Orrell  St James will attract a massive crowd to this game. Certain to be in 4 figures so get there early as parking can be tricky once their ( large ) car park is full.

St James are one of Wigan's larger progressive community clubs , aiming for 22 teams at all ages this upcoming season.

4 fields ( 2 floodlit ) and  a purpose built clubhouse complex, all on site.

Should be a great day out and one I'm hoping to get to.

Superb gesture by the Club to help out with the Irish travel. , but astute as well as they will  probably get that back 10 times over in gate receipts and bar takings !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, del capo said:

With the other two surviving Wigan Community clubs now both away  Orrell  St James will attract a massive crowd to this game. Certain to be in 4 figures so get there early as parking can be tricky once their ( large ) car park is full.

St James are one of Wigan's larger progressive community clubs , aiming for 22 teams at all ages this upcoming season.

4 fields ( 2 floodlit ) and  a purpose built clubhouse complex, all on site.

Should be a great day out and one I'm hoping to get to.

Superb gesture by the Club to help out with the Irish travel. , but astute as well as they will  probably get that back 10 times over in gate receipts and bar takings !!

Understand what you are saying. I just hope every single person has a  great time.

On 17/02/2023 at 08:02, Hopping Mad said:

Interested to know which alternative venue let Ashton down. Seems ludicrous Ashton have to surrender home advantage. Killed the tie.

I believe Ashton tried to get Robin Park to host, but didn't get the go ahead before the deadline  required for Dewsbury

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2023 at 17:57, Barley Mow said:

Yeah. I can see why they want to do that from a promotional point of view: "look how widespread RL is, we were in Edinburgh for round 1 and Cornwall for round 2".

I just think that Doncaster v Oldham is a better prospect than either of the matches chosen by the broadcasters.

Beeb always seem to pick expansion areas, maybe its internal politics to stick it to union leaning reporters or maybe it opens up funding for RL internally ?

They always showed crusaders games when they could too.

I don't think the beeb do badly at helping expansion and highlighting fledgling clubs.

On a flip side anyone who wants to watch Donny or Oldham can go to the game, do donny still play in a 20k stadium so putting it on TV maybe counter productive and may actually look awful in an empty stadium.

Also if you were part of the production team would you prefer a weekend in Cornwall or Doncaster (nothing against Doncaster )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Beeb always seem to pick expansion areas, maybe its internal politics to stick it to union leaning reporters or maybe it opens up funding for RL internally ?

They always showed crusaders games when they could too.

I don't think the beeb do badly at helping expansion and highlighting fledgling clubs.

On a flip side anyone who wants to watch Donny or Oldham can go to the game, do donny still play in a 20k stadium so putting it on TV maybe counter productive and may actually look awful in an empty stadium.

Also if you were part of the production team would you prefer a weekend in Cornwall or Doncaster (nothing against Doncaster )

15,000 seater stadium.

• Thanks 1