Fri 3rd Mar: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/23 at 20:30

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A great result for the season this....would.love Saints to star to sliding and open the comp up

It’s round three, two weeks after Saints have taken out the World Challenge in Australia. Let’s put some perspective to this, it’s a meaningless result in Saints’ season as we’ll be top four comfortably and a greater result for Leeds, who need thirteen wins from 24 games (a little over half) to make the six. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I've still not got the faintest idea where the controversy was with the Hurrell red card. Literally ####### Myler in the head without the ball.

Completely agree.....he did him direct to the head with a dropped shoulder...it will be a big ban for sure I'd hope ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

It’s round three, two weeks after Saints have taken out the World Challenge in Australia. Let’s put some perspective to this, it’s a meaningless result in Saints’ season as we’ll be top four comfortably and a greater result for Leeds, who need thirteen wins from 24 games (a little over half) to make the six. 

I said I'd like them to be on the slide....I don't think they really are! (Though I'll be hoping )

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Engaging with supporters is not goading. Players and coaches engage with fans of all teams all of the time, there doesn't need to be an ulterior motive. It's one of the things that makes our sport great.

But then the fans get stick for engaging back ?

Like I said 50 50 , its either acceptable or not, for those calling the fans need to also look at rohans part in it.

It takes 2 to tango etc...

The fans were either OK to engage with roman or if not roman shouldn't have engaged with fans its that simples

• Haha 1

Frustrating one for Saints but probably a very entertaining one for a neutral.

A 24-12, we were on top and in control. We had chances to put the game away and didn't. That allowed Leeds a shot and they took it.

I'm not going to critical though after a pretty intense few weeks both physically and emotionally.

Never nice to lose in the last minute but we've been on the other side quite often. One to take on the chin and move on to next week.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Like I said 50 50 , its either acceptable or not, for those calling the fans need to also look at rohans part in it.

The fans were either OK to engage with roman or if not roman shouldn't have engaged with fans its that simples

The fans weren't engaging, they were abusing. There is a big difference.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not really though is it ?

Can you lip read what was said please

The people waving their arms, looking angry and Jenna's comments said it all. I thought you were the lip reader anyhow.

I have to say you seem awfully biased in all this. Saints fan by any chance?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I could only see one party acting aggressively towards the other on the TV footage and it wasn't the Leeds coach.

The classy Doris who was giving Rohan both barrels will no doubt be a 'legend' when her bezzies stick the footage up on her Facebook feed later on.🤦‍♂️

Unfortunately every club has the bellus endus element, most fans have the class to call out their own muppets when it happens though and not defend them.

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not really though is it ?

Can you lip read what was said please

They were yelling aggressively, they were pointing aggressively, their faces were contorted with what appeared to be anger and aggression 

Rohan had his hands in his pockets and was mostly smiling 

Not sure any lip reading is needed 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

A touch of unnecessary arrogance there in my opinion, which breeds some of the resentment your club receives.

And I rooted for you in the WCC btw.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

27 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I am , big game and the talking point is the refs decisions.

A ref has a good game if he remains anominous throughout the game.

The grand final or the world club challenge can anyone remember a refs decision ? No because it was a great advert for the game.

For what its worth I think catalans were robbed in the grand final they lost due to poor refereeing

That's down to the players not the ref.

If players don't hit others off the ball the ref doesnt have anything to give.

It's a usual narrative to try to blame the ref.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

A touch of unnecessary arrogance there in my opinion, which breeds some of the resentment your club receives.

And I rooted for you in the WCC btw.

Not at all. We have 27 rounds of drudgery and box ticking to get through as a sport, a defeat in round three, two weeks after winning the World Challenge isn’t going to be a result Saints look back on come September as we’ll probably be top four and quite possibly, top two. Many expected defeats after coming back from Australia, it’s happened, there’s no need for an inquest. It’s a bigger result for Leeds than it’s a poor result for Saints.  

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

The people waving their arms, looking angry and Jenna's comments said it all. I thought you were the lip reader anyhow.

I have to say you seem awfully biased in all this. Saints fan by any chance?

Haha let's agree to disagree as you obviously hate the world champions, jealous?

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Fantastic game till the last 10 minutes till Kendall decided to make it all about himself. How this guy keeps getting given games in beyond me!

Struggling with these claims, do people really believe the ref thought , oh there's 10 minutes left, great game, what I'll do is make it about me by not ignoring late high tackles? 

Why would a ref want that negative reaction. It's simply not logical 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jughead said:

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Not at all. We have 27 rounds of drudgery and box ticking to get through as a sport, a defeat in round three, two weeks after winning the World Challenge isn’t going to be a result Saints look back on come September as we’ll probably be top four and quite possibly, top two. Many expected defeats after coming back from Australia, it’s happened, there’s no need for an inquest. It’s a bigger result for Leeds than it’s a poor result for Saints.  

Take a look at the two posts I've quoted from you.

In the first you say "We'll be top four comfortably", which is what I pulled you up for and suggested you were being arrogant.

The second post is after I quoted you and you changed it to "we'll probably be top four", which is fair enough, most will agree with you, and it's not being arrogant.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Haha let's agree to disagree as you obviously hate the world champions, jealous?

Not at all. I thoroughly praised Saints for being world champions. My posts are there for all to see.

Nice moving of the goalposts though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Why are we talking about the ref if he didn't make dubious calls though ?

Struggling to understand your angle.. 

Refs are human they make mistakes, they can be unconsciously biased,  they can be concisously biased. To say refs are always right is a false assumption.

If the RFL come out and say the ref got a few things wrong then it would calm the situation but I am guessing they wont

We are talking about refs because the losing team are bringing it up.

What good would a ref coming out saying I missed this knock on etc do? The only reason fans ask for it is because they really want to berate the ref and humiliate them under the guise of just wanting to understand.

If a ref did. Come out and say they made an error the fans would hassle them even more.

We struggle to get refs at youth games due to abuse, it's sadly so embedded it people's minds they justify their abuse of kids at weekend as they made an error.

Copied from a post I out on the Dockhouse rugby show Facebook page.

Consistency is impossible for refs, certainly the perception of consistency. 

If a ref makes an error they cannot continue with the same error all game.

Players, pundits and fans never agree on decisions, so it's not possible for people to believe the game is ever referred consistently.

👇👇👇👇👇

And if it's true that all anyone wants is consistency, why don't fans complain when a decision goes their way? 

If they only wanted consistency they would be equally as angry regardless of who gains the advantage, but they are only ever angry if it goes against their team.  

So they really mean they want consistency in their favour 😃😃😃😃

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

We are talking about refs because the losing team are bringing it up.

What good would a ref coming out saying I missed this knock on etc do? The only reason fans ask for it is because they really want to berate the ref and humiliate them under the guise of just wanting to understand.

If a ref did. Come out and say they made an error the fans would hassle them even more.

We struggle to get refs at youth games due to abuse, it's sadly so embedded it people's minds they justify their abuse of kids at weekend as they made an error.

So heres a bigger problem, kids games are about development and not winning, this is for refs as well as players.

The SL is fully proffesional for players and referees.

Basically you are saying (hyperthetically ) konrad hurell made a bad decision got a red card and should get a few match bans

The referee however can make as many bad decisions as he likes and there's no consequences.

Both are professional athletes / rugby league personnel.

The fans pay good money to be entertained and as such should expect a fair spectacle.

This is not junior rugby where there are no fans and it is about development (even though some parents and coaches can become over excited).

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Copied from a post I out on the Dockhouse rugby show Facebook page.

Consistency is impossible for refs, certainly the perception of consistency. 

If a ref makes an error they cannot continue with the same error all game.

Players, pundits and fans never agree on decisions, so it's not possible for people to believe the game is ever referred consistently.

👇👇👇👇👇

And if it's true that all anyone wants is consistency, why don't fans complain when a decision goes their way? 

If they only wanted consistency they would be equally as angry regardless of who gains the advantage, but they are only ever angry if it goes against their team.  

So they really mean they want consistency in their favour 😃😃😃😃

I think a big issue is the lack of a penalty try considering 2 were given last night and one was an identical offence.

Both went to the video ref who is out of the heat of the moment and can take as long as he likes to come to a conclusion.

The shoulder charge is also an issue as last season you had to make an effort to wrap an arm, now it seems as long as its not tucked into your body its ok so matty lees and Co should have a field day with shoulder charges in the coming weeks ?

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

So heres a bigger problem, kids games are about development and not winning, this is for refs as well as players.

The SL is fully proffesional for players and referees.

Basically you are saying (hyperthetically ) konrad hurell made a bad decision got a red card and should get a few match bans

The referee however can make as many bad decisions as he likes and there's no consequences.

Both are professional athletes / rugby league personnel.

The fans pay good money to be entertained and as such should expect a fair spectacle.

This is not junior rugby where there are no fans and it is about development (even though some parents and coaches can become over excited).

Refs are more accountable than players, they get dropped all the time.

Are fans angry at Konrad for a late high tackle? Or angry at the ref for sending him off?

Yes this is SL but sadly the philosophy filters down the chain.

I wouldn't call it over excited, Its telling at young refs and they often don't return, it's a real issue. Abuse of refs based on a fan believing they made an error is somehow justified and tolerated, people quick to excuse the abuse, in ways it wouldn't happen with any other business. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I think a big issue is the lack of a penalty try considering 2 were given last night and one was an identical offence.

Both went to the video ref who is out of the heat of the moment and can take as long as he likes to come to a conclusion.

The shoulder charge is also an issue as last season you had to make an effort to wrap an arm, now it seems as long as its not tucked into your body its ok so matty lees and Co should have a field day with shoulder charges in the coming weeks ?

I don't believe it was an 8 pointer, but others may see it differently, as did the ref.

I believe it was a shoulder charge, but it's a fine line.  If any Ayers think they can charge in and shoulder charge it will quickly become dangerous and we will have plenty of bans again.

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

You scored the try, why do you want a penalty try?

• Confused 1