2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Rather than fearing a talent drain, the focus should be on the boom in athletic and enthusiastic 12-19 year-olds who have taken up the game in the wake of last years World Cup, and ensuring that there are proper pathways, good coaching and at the top end, decent paid expenses and sponsorships to ensure that they can continue the journey to the best of their abilities.

The sheer volume of young talent coming through the grades in Oz means NRLW clubs will not be looking that much to England. Only a sprinkling of our players are likely to receive offers. How the early signings perform will shape attitudes.

As with the men's game we will only have a comparable competition to the Aussies when we grow the game geographically and demographically. To that end WSL South is crucial.

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you want to debate what you were debating, start a thread about it. I'm sure a couple of other stubborn types will join you and drag it all down to that familiar point when it gets locked without anyone having "won".

But now let's talk about WNRL signings.

Give an example of a substantive post from anyone that wasn't about NRLW signings.

Actually, on second thoughts, don't bother. Just keep riding your high horse.

I suspect if we only allowed women to post on threads re women's rugby league, or at least limited the number of men posting on the women's game to fewer than ppsts by men, this thread would be very much shorter. Or perhaps with less pedantic willy waving. 

24 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I suspect if we only allowed women to post on threads re women's rugby league, or at least limited the number of men posting on the women's game to fewer than ppsts by men, this thread would be very much shorter. 

I suspect you're right. This thread would be empty and the women and girls section would be largely empty.

I also suspect if we only allowed women to go to WSL games there would be far fewer people watching those games.

On 11/04/2023 at 15:00, Dunbar said:

And.

If I had been good enough and been offered the chance to go to Australia and play in an elite competition - even if it were just my expenses that were covered.  I would have jumped at it. 

You are in a huge minority though, mate.

Your average northerner has demonstrated over the years that they won't even move to London to play professionally in Super League, never mind Australia. They prefer to stay playing semi amateur in front of 300 fans and a coal tip. 

36 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

I think Tara, Caitlin Beevers & Leah Burke would go well in the NRLW.

I think with the expansion of the NRLW and proposed future expansion there will be plenty of teams on the lookout for quality players and this should provide plentiful opportunities for those players, and others.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoFan said:

I think Tara, Caitlin Beevers & Leah Burke would go well in the NRLW.

I think Beevers in particular would go well.  She has decent size and athleticism and would do well on an edge or in the centre.

I thought she was underused in the World Cup out on the wing.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I think Beevers in particular would go well.  She has decent size and athleticism and would do well on an edge or in the centre.

I thought she was underused in the World Cup out on the wing.

Caitlin's an interesting one. Mostly played full-back when she first made the Leeds team. On kick returns, if she got clear it was "shut the gate". Similar in build and style to Tamika Upton or Jaime Chapman.

Bulked up a fair bit since then. More solid defensively but maybe lost a yard. She was run down after a long winding break on Sunday. I reckon in 2018-19 she'd have gone away from the chasers. Hard to say whether the change makes her more or less attractive to NRLW clubs.

13 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Caitlin's an interesting one. Mostly played full-back when she first made the Leeds team. On kick returns, if she got clear it was "shut the gate". Similar in build and style to Tamika Upton or Jaime Chapman.

Bulked up a fair bit since then. More solid defensively but maybe lost a yard. She was run down after a long winding break on Sunday. I reckon in 2018-19 she'd have gone away from the chasers. Hard to say whether the change makes her more or less attractive to NRLW clubs.

As I say, I would have her on the edge.  She still has decent pace but also plenty of size as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I know at least one club are considering an offer for Tara but I’m not sure if she would even accept.

Her partner also plays for York Valkyrie, so that could go against a potential move unless they come as a duo.

• Like 1

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

5 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Hollie Mae Dodd becomes the first English player to officially sign for an NRLW club, Canberra Raiders.

First saw Hollie tearing it up in a schools final for Castleford Academy. Sometimes you think you've seen the future and the player falls by the wayside, so always great to see potential fulfilled.

Let's hope she stays fit and plays the full season.

5 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Congratulations to her and hopefully more to follow.

Not too many more.

• Haha 1

On 13/04/2023 at 10:47, Damien said:

I think with the expansion of the NRLW and proposed future expansion there will be plenty of teams on the lookout for quality players and this should provide plentiful opportunities for those players, and others.

Given that players can now be signed to long-term contracts in the NRLW, there will  presumably be higher demand for established players from any expansion clubs.

55 minutes ago, CrushersForever said:

Given that players can now be signed to long-term contracts in the NRLW, there will  presumably be higher demand for established players from any expansion clubs.

My guess is that NRLW clubs will concentrate on their development pathways. Many of the older players had to stop playing aged 12. The younger ones have played through the grades. Standards in NSW and QLD under-19s comps are amazing.

• Like 1

It's still a difficult choice for British women because many of them will still have careers in the UK, so potentially giving those up for a 20 week contract in Oz is still a risk. Depends on how accommodating their employer is and what they're giving up.

It's why we need our best players on central contracts so they can make the best sporting choices. England women's cricket central contracts aren't huge, but enough to give basic security, and the best players can add WBBL or WPL onto that.

17 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's still a difficult choice for British women because many of them will still have careers in the UK, so potentially giving those up for a 20 week contract in Oz is still a risk. Depends on how accommodating their employer is and what they're giving up.

It's why we need our best players on central contracts so they can make the best sporting choices. England women's cricket central contracts aren't huge, but enough to give basic security, and the best players can add WBBL or WPL onto that.

I'm glad you've explicitly suggested this, as I think it's been an implicit view in a lot of the "Just pay the women" reaction to the last WC. I just happen to think it's completely wrong.

"It's why we need our best players on central contracts so they can make the best sporting choices" - best sporting choice at the moment for our top players is to get to NRLW.  A central contact for, say, our top 20 players would cost over £600K. If the RFL was seriously going to spend that sum on Women's RL, I think it could be spent in many better ways than that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

I'm glad you've explicitly suggested this, as I think it's been an implicit view in a lot of the "Just pay the women" reaction to the last WC. I just happen to think it's completely wrong.

"It's why we need our best players on central contracts so they can make the best sporting choices" - best sporting choice at the moment for our top players is to get to NRLW.  A central contact for, say, our top 20 players would cost over £600K. If the RFL was seriously going to spend that sum on Women's RL, I think it could be spent in many better ways than that.

But a central contract wouldn't (necessarily) stop players going abroad. The ones that the women have in cricket don't.

What they mean is that they are paid enough to not require a job away from sport and so can train as a full-time athlete year round.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)