Sat 15th-Sun 16th Apr: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was happy to see your team gave up on that Phantom.

It must do wonders for team spirit, can you imagine the lads confidence left out on Monday for the Bulls and then coach says I didn't need you last week, but you just might be good enough for me this week, I would tell him to "swivell".

Even in SL my club have done it this season  taking Shorrocks on "loan" from Wigan, which ever way it is dressed up it is still "DR" by any other name, I absolutely detest it.

Scrap DR, it is abhorrent that teams playing for points on a league ladder should be allowed to do it, especially when prize money is at stake and even worse relegation, if we are to have "loans" between clubs make them a minimum of half a season or better still even a full season.

Spot on❗

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think most Fev fans were to be honest Harry. I'm not criticising Bradford for using it btw as it's in the rules that they can, just observing that on recent form DR seems to make a big difference to them.

It stinks the whole game out❗

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

The next step for Walmsley would be to step up to a top Championship club. I’m sure he’d fit in well at Fev 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

I suspect he might have ended up at Fev were it not for the Fev v Haven game in 2021 where he got absolutely manhandled by Gaz Gale. That skinny build might be what has put SL clubs off, he seems to do ok in yardage sets at Championship level nowadays but you do wonder if he'd get beasted when trying to carry from inside his own 10m line against SL clubs. He's a great finisher though, always seems to be in the right place at the right time and has a real nose for the try line.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

I think Leigh may have an interest , Charnley has been better than most would have predicted this season and like us all time is not on his side .

Don't see how Charnley comes into this equation George? Charnley was signed full time mid last season from Wire when Powell deemed him not good enough for Wire and let him go, at the time I would not have paid him with the holes in washers he was that bad Powell must have shattered his confidence, but what a revelation he has been this season the form winger in SL with 12 tries from 9 games.

56 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

he is not your prototypical SL winger but I have no doubt he would still continue to average over a try a game

Whoh big call, if any SL club agreed with you I think he would be gone already, as good as he is in the Championship I don't think you are considering that the defence structures are about 3 notches up in SL and also the players are so much faster than those in the Championship.

Again, which SL club(s) do you think would take him?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whoh big call, if any SL club agreed with you I think he would be gone already, as good as he is in the Championship I don't think you are considering that the defence structures are about 3 notches up in SL and also the players are so much faster than those in the Championship.

Lachlan Walmsley played against us a couple of seasons ago for Whitehaven. Began  on the wing, then, for tactical or injury reasons was switched to centre and standoff. He was electric. Given his build, I'd have him at stand off in a breath.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

5 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

The next step for Walmsley would be to step up to a top Championship club. I’m sure he’d fit in well at Fev 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

He's already spent time at one Godforsaken dump and left there for The Fax. Why on earth would he want to move to somewhere ten times more backwards? 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It must do wonders for team spirit, can you imagine the lads confidence left out on Monday for the Bulls and then coach says I didn't need you last week, but you just might be good enough for me this week, I would tell him to "swivell".

Even in SL my club have done it this season  taking Shorrocks on "loan" from Wigan, which ever way it is dressed up it is still "DR" by any other name, I absolutely detest it.

Scrap DR, it is abhorrent that teams playing for points on a league ladder should be allowed to do it, especially when prize money is at stake and even worse relegation, if we are to have "loans" between clubs make them a minimum of half a season or better still even a full season.

I can't remember anyone complaining about loans before dual registration.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

couldn't agree more, you will never convince me DR is right, where is the incentive to develop youy own players? it is open to abuse by both parties. I do agree with loans though, but should be minimum 2 months but preferably for a season with no recall by parent club. 

Edited by Expatknight
typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Any SL club who thought they could get him for pennies. By all accounts he nearly agreed terms with Wigan before signing for Fax choosing playing regular rugby over been a bit part player and loaned back out to a championship club. 

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I watched him yesterday and he certainly has got as much if not more pace than a lot of current super League players your club included , also the guy has bulked up a bit since last season and is not the pipe cleaner you saw before , don't think the transition to superleague would be a problem 

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Any SL club who thought they could get him for pennies. By all accounts he nearly agreed terms with Wigan before signing for Fax choosing playing regular rugby over been a bit part player and loaned back out to a championship club. 

So Wigan and the player himself did not think as you do that he would average over a try a game in SL.

How long as he got left on his contract with Fax? When it is up any SL club will get him for no pennies at all, but just for the moment forget about any fee, which SL clubs will he attract?

17 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

I watched him yesterday and he certainly has got as much if not more pace than a lot of current super League players your club included , also the guy has bulked up a bit since last season and is not the pipe cleaner you saw before , don't think the transition to superleague would be a problem 

View that from a different perspective view George, Lachlan will look faster against slower opposition against faster ones not so much, think about it !

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So Wigan and the player himself did not think as you do that he would average over a try a game in SL.

How long as he got left on his contract with Fax? When it is up any SL club will get him for no pennies at all, but just for the moment forget about any fee, which SL clubs will he attract?

He has a season and a half left on his contract but presume he will have a SL release clause so if a team wanted him they could probably take him for nothing anyway. But we can go back to the problem that it will be hard for any SL team to match what he is earning right now a bit like when Salford and Huddersfield came in for Brandon Moore. But for the time being lets hope no SL clubs notice him because I won't be complaining because players with his try scoring record are few and far between.

• Like 1

It does depend a lot on the style a certain team likes to play, some prolific scoring wingers are not the same when they change clubs. Your centre and pivot and second rower are often the key. You can't finish if they fail to look for you or make a space on the edge. 

On 15/04/2023 at 21:43, The Daddy said:

Toulouse are not just bringing in a lot of young players from the Elite One team, they're bringing in players from their under 19 to play games at the top of the Championship. 

Really like the look of several of the young players throughout all of their squads. 

I was hoping Guillon would get a good run at hooker with Éloi going to be missing for a couple of months, but I've been reminded that Calum Gahan will be playing his first game for TO against Swinton