Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

10 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Rebirth of PSG!

Exactly , a WC in Quatar would essentially be a TV competition , which again would be relatively simple with Bein Sports being owned by the country , their production costs would inconsequential, we'd only need one side of a stadium with fans in it 

It is also half way on between the major playing nations , it really is a no brainer IMO 

And while not cheap to attend for fans , the close proximity of the venue's reduce the costs on site for travelling between games 

Just the sheer publicity value and the potential to get the sport broadcast globally for probably free is a massive opportunity 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Temperatures in Qatar and time of year not a problem?

This thread is now clear evidence that reality does not need to intrude.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Presumably late evening games and in November?

Much hotter than cairns or port Moresby same time of year?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Would the time difference of late evening games in Doha not kill TV viewing figures in Australia and New Zealand?

Again, I beg you, do not pretend that a two line comment from Troy Grant makes any of this real.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Qatar? Won't happen. Haven't we learnt anything from the USA and France bids if it's too good to be true than it is exactly that.

THe difference is

1) Qatar have form on holding world championships where they don't have any sort of world presence (Handball anyone)
2) For them its not about the money, its showing Qatar is a positive light to the world.

The point everybody is missing is that the one thing RL world cups struggle with is the cost and being profitible, how do you justify the cost of hosting a world cup where only a very small amount of people play it (even the last world cup was played in the M62 corridor to save costs, with only the SF in London).  With Qatar this problem goes away, as they don't care about the Money its all about the prestige of hostaing a WC

I know I say how small we are internationallly, but lest be hinest we are at least as big as Handball, and Qatar hosted that

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Some of the stadiums have air conditioning. The huge vents were visible during the soccer World Cup broadcast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Surely we need somebody interested in broadcasting the thing tho?

Its bad enough it would be empty stadiums.

Add to that nobody watching on TV either.

European audiences plus the Pacific who'd watch at similar times if it was in England anyway. It doesn't strike me as a major point of difference.

How much were Australian TV rights for the last 2 world cups?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnM said:

What's in it for Qatar? No one would go to any games.

Qatar seems to be extremely keen to spend whatever they can as a soft power exercise to appear independent, high profile, a global influence and separate from Saudi Arabia. They don’t care about rugby league at all, it’s just a means to an end.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

European audiences plus the Pacific who'd watch at similar times if it was in England anyway. It doesn't strike me as a major point of difference.

How much were Australian TV rights for the last 2 world cups?

What sponsors are you hoping for?

So who is picking up the tab for the broadcasting - bit far for the European companies.

Someone has got to do it or are we saying that Qatar will factor that in too.

I suppose it could all be a magnificent jolly for everyone, but it would look terrible and be played out in front of tiny TV audiences.

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Surely we need somebody interested in broadcasting the thing tho?

Its bad enough it would be empty stadiums.

Add to that nobody watching on TV either.

Quatar owns Bein Sport , no reason to think they wouldn't film it and essentially give it away for free worldwide 

• Like 2

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

What sponsors are you hoping for?

So who is picking up the tab for the broadcasting - bit far for the European companies.

Someone has got to do it or are we saying that Qatar will factor that in too.

I suppose it could all be a magnificent jolly for everyone, but it would look terrible and be played out in front of tiny TV audiences.

See post below yours 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Haven't seen anybody mention the connection to PSG , so for me , take it to Quatar , pocket the money , use that money to ' nudge ' France for 2029 , and try to get a Paris team up and running , could I make it there for some games ? , Probably not , but you never know 

to be fair, not even thought that you could tie this into a re-emergence with a very big wallet of a PSG RL team.. that would be very interesting.. not sure it would work but it would make things very interesting.. or just get them to buy tolouse and plough oodles of cash into that. 

If Qatar offered a guaranteed $ that was impressive and global coverage via BeIN sports, I’d support the bid. Doesn’t matter if the crowds are low, take the $ and publicity and develop the international game.

I’d fly over to watch.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Qatar? Won't happen. Haven't we learnt anything from the USA and France bids if it's too good to be true than it is exactly that.

With Qatar you just make them pay cash up front.. if it doesnt happen you still have the cash.. but if they want it there is a reason they want it and it is unlikely (because it is not a sporting reason) that they will then pull out as that reason will still exist. 

again lets be clear, I cannot see us giving it to them but I think you definitely carry on talking with the intention that if they are being genuine then they get it. 

22 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What would the worldwide audience look like for a tournament being played in front of empty stands?

do you watch a game on TV for the crowd in the stands or the product on the pitch?

• Like 1