Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

20 hours ago, Gomersall said:

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2269/irl-statement-on-france-2025-withdrawal

The IRL board will now consider other options for RLWC2025 while continuing work to finalise international fixtures for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.  The IRL expects to be able to advise member nations of planned qualifying matches or alternative fixtures after July 2023.  

IRL chair Troy Grant added : “The board meets face to face in July and we will then be able to determine together our next steps forward and consider the other bids we have received for not only 2025, but 2029, 2033 and World Cup 9s events in the future. 

“Exciting international content for 2023 and 2024, in addition to the recent historic Tongan tour to England, will be announced publicly shortly, which will be the front end of our much needed and highly anticipated calendar.”  

Ahem… “The board meets face to face in July… blah blah blah”.

This is exactly why the international game is a farce. 

The 2025 hosting committee have capitulated and said they will no longer be in a position to host.

What is the action of the IRL board? To come face to face in over a month’s time.

For heavens sake, not even the absolute leaders of the international game can be arsed.

Pathetic

• Like 2

This reminds me of a lesson I was trying to give my son the other day. Silver linings.

What a great opportunity this presents the NRL to reach out to the Aus government.

V’landys: “Hey Albo, you know that ‘utilise RL to build stronger relations and alliances in the Pacific’ thing you’ve been talking to me about, well guess what, we have struck gold and we have struck it cheap!”

If this whole Aus gov’t business is for real, how about funding the creation of a Centre of Excellence in each of PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga at facilities which in two years time are capable of hosting 15k fans at RLWC fixtures. Temporary stands if needed. Naturally, host the semis and final back in Aus or Auckland, but give the islands all their home games and maybe more.

The legacy bit will sell itself. The creation of jobs will sell itself. It could all be done for under $80m which would be a drop in the ocean for the government to fund an NRL team.

There is another great narrative here. It would be the first “major” WC sport’s event to be held in such small nations. You watch the locals, they will go absolutely bananas. The day sport was given back to the people. Where the enjoyment came before the profitability.

Forget Olympics and FIFA WC and the other larger events. They are just a bunch of capitalist pigs with no interest in the enjoyment of their sports etc etc. There’s a real story there and a great opportunity for the Aus government to put their money where their supposed mouths are.

Then of course there is the opportunity to really stick the knife into RU in all those Pacific nations.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 15

59 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

This reminds me of a lesson I was trying to give my son the other day. Silver linings.

What a great opportunity this presents the NRL to reach out to the Aus government.

V’landys: “Hey Albo, you know that ‘utilise RL to build stronger relations and alliances in the Pacific’ thing you’ve been talking to me about, well guess what, we have struck gold and we have struck it cheap!”

If this whole Aus gov’t business is for real, how about funding the creation of a Centre of Excellence in each of PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga at facilities which in two years time are capable of hosting 15k fans at RLWC fixtures. Temporary stands if needed. Naturally, host the semis and final back in Aus or Auckland, but give the islands all their home games and maybe more.

The legacy bit will sell itself. The creation of jobs will sell itself. It could all be done for under $80m which would be a drop in the ocean for the government to fund an NRL team.

There is another great narrative here. It would be the first “major” WC sport’s event to be held in such small nations. You watch the locals, they will go absolutely bananas. The day sport was given back to the people. Where the enjoyment came before the profitability.

Forget Olympics and FIFA WC and the other larger events. They are just a bunch of capitalist pigs with no interest in the enjoyment of their sports etc etc. There’s a real story there and a great opportunity for the Aus government to put their money where their supposed mouths are.

Then of course there is the opportunity to really stick the knife into RU in all those Pacific nations.

This is going to be the crux of making a 16-team tournament viable at such short notice down here, 2022 relied on government support to offset the less financially viable matches.

PNG/Fiji will be the main targets for government funding in the Pacific as they don't get strong crowds in Aus/NZ anyway so funding for games/pools in these nations will be extremely valuable. 

Tonga/Samoa have a big enough brand to draw across their diaspora strongholds in AUS/NZ so will probably required to create financially valuable matches there.

Not a lot of time to make it work but seeking bilateral government support in the Pacific is going to be a necessity to ensure we make this tournament work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

As you say an ideal opportunity which is probably why it will never happen sadly.

unfortunately I think the reality would be a southern hemisphere World Cup with those nations in the northern hemisphere saying it is too costly to go down there. If we are serious in promoting this great game of ours we need to do bold things like this that just might get the attention of the establishment media……. But then again…….

I'd expect only Lebanon (as they are all AUS based), England to 100% go, with France and Wales at 50%, and I doubt any others from NH will go unless gvmt funding of some form.  I very much doubt teams like scotland, greece, italy will go.

This might not be a bad thing TBH, if the game is struggling financially right now, an 8 or 10 team tournment might be the way to go

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I'd expect only Lebanon (as they are all AUS based), England to 100% go, with France and Wales at 50%, and I doubt any others from NH will go unless gvmt funding of some form.  I very much doubt teams like scotland, greece, italy will go

Italy and Greece could both probably find enough heritage players down there to field teams that way.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Italy and Greece could both probably find enough heritage players down there to field teams that way.

Yep thats true, if the teams can be created by local (ie SH Based players), then its possible that they could field teams, if they qualify

16 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Yep thats true, if the teams can be created by local (ie SH Based players), then its possible that they could field teams, if they qualify

that situation can hardly be described as helping the expansion of the game can it?  I know in all world cups there are 'legacy' players but just using Aussie based players is an insult to the game and makes a mockery of the World Cup. you might as well say by then there will be enough English players playing in the NRL plus the ones who can claim English lineage to qualify as being English to make up an English team then nobody from here would have to go at all. Would probably suit the Aussies though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The 2025 hosting committee have capitulated and said they will no longer be in a position to host.

What is the action of the IRL board? To come face to face in over a month’s time.

For heavens sake, not even the absolute leaders of the international game can be arsed.

Pathetic

I wonder if the Australian 4/3 Nations will be confirmed by then? 😂

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

that situation can hardly be described as helping the expansion of the game can it?  I know in all world cups there are 'legacy' players but just using Aussie based players is an insult to the game and makes a mockery of the World Cup. you might as well say by then there will be enough English players playing in the NRL plus the ones who can claim English lineage to qualify as being English to make up an English team then nobody from here would have to go at all. Would probably suit the Aussies though.

I agree with the sentiment but to be honest if we can stop the game shrinking that would be a start.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I agree with the sentiment but to be honest if we can stop the game shrinking that would be a start.

I've never understood the reasons why it's shrinking,it's a fantastic product to watch. It's power, speed ,skill and endurance all rolled into one. Or it's something to do with the governing bodies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Pathetic

They’re not the absolute leaders of the international game though are they? If they were they’d be pulling the big 3 into line and get things organised but we all know they don’t have that power. FIFA they aren’t.

• Like 2

we have let union run riot over us in the past 20 years by accepting their "friendship" 95% of the British public .don't know the difference between the 2 codes -- now we are paying the price for letting the big bad wolf that tried to kill us for so long through the door  

• Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I've never understood the reasons why it's shrinking,it's a fantastic product to watch. It's power, speed ,skill and endurance all rolled into one. Or it's something to do with the governing bodies.

I think I read on here a quote along the lines of "you know RL is great because it has survived the people who run it".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mojo said:

The world cup should be in nz alone. And Australia can host the 2029 world cup. The popularity of rugby league is growing in nz and I won't be surprised if it gets bigger than RU in a few years. Due to Tonga and Samoa's rise on the world stage. I hope Nz gets to host it

Sorry mate but that's a pipe dream if ever I heard one.  The All blacks sell big crowds for several games every year, and I was shocked at how low the attendances were in New Zealand for their home fixtures last world cup that was down under, despite the fact that they rarely play internationals.  Shocked, and also very dissapointed, just a handful of thousands of fans.  I hope that you are right that it is on the up, though.  I hope that if they are the main host next time then we can ALL get behind them for the love of the game to help them achieve a realistic best that they can, and give the tournament respectability.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

we have let union run riot over us in the past 20 years by accepting their "friendship" 95% of the British public .don't know the difference between the 2 codes -- now we are paying the price for letting the big bad wolf that tried to kill us for so long through the door  

In what way has this got anything to do with Union? Seriously? 

We won't get better at things by simply pointing out that it was the big bad wolf and not our fault. It's absolutely nothing to do with RU and everything to do with RL. 

3 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

In what way has this got anything to do with Union? Seriously? 

We won't get better at things by simply pointing out that it was the big bad wolf and not our fault. It's absolutely nothing to do with RU and everything to do with RL. 

your wrong - one will always get the better of the other in a sibling rivalry - its just the nature of things

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

your wrong - one will always get the better of the other in a sibling rivalry - its just the nature of things

Every code of football has lost to soccer then.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Rugby League could have organised a WC if it wanted, it didn't manage it because it's shambolic. Nothing else. 

Union is not hiding in the bushes waiting to hijack RL, chances are it's worrying about it's own problems. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Looks like the WC might still go ahead. Hopefully be sorted soon. Just need the IRL to announce a full international calendar now 

I'm optimistic we will see a WC in 2025 now while it's a shame for France hopefully Australia and or New Zealand really get behind it and we see a good tournament. With the emergence or PI teams too I believe It can be a lot better than 2017

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gomersall said:

They’re not the absolute leaders of the international game though are they? If they were they’d be pulling the big 3 into line and get things organised but we all know they don’t have that power. FIFA they aren’t.

Doesn’t matter. This is the one event where they are the governors and that one event is now on its backside and the leaders can’t even bring themselves together for an immediate emergency meeting.