Match thread: Championship Round 16. York v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 25th June 2023.

Ooops! Sorry about sticking this up here rather late.

Our third game of the season against York, and another must win if we are going to claim top spot in the Championship.

I didn't see any injuries in the 17 v London, so that was good.

Hardcastle, Cozza, Moors and Hall missed out, so I assume they'll be in contention for a place on Sunday.

Also forgotten man Kyle Evans.

Plus, the injured list: Koppy, Fordy and Taylory.

Eight of our last 12 fixtures are On The Road, so let's get cracking.

Up The Rovers.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ooops! Sorry about sticking this up here rather late.

Our third game of the season against York, and another must win if we are going to claim top spot in the Championship.

I didn't see any injuries in the 17 v London, so that was good.

Hardcastle, Cozza, Moors and Hall missed out, so I assume they'll be in contention for a place on Sunday.

Also forgotten man Kyle Evans.

Plus, the injured list: Koppy, Fordy and Taylory.

Eight of our last 12 fixtures are On The Road, so let's get cracking.

Up The Rovers.

Hard ones away as well,not that there are any easy away games.

37 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Will be interesting to see how York perform, I thought they were impressive against Leigh last week. Will they be able to back it up after that effort? I think we conceded 60 twice after our efforts against Castleford and Wigan on our memorable cup run?

This is an odd one as one of the 60s was against Sheffield and was the week BEFORE we played Cas.

Perhaps we just weren't properly focused on that game. We actually beat Swinton in between the Cas and Wigan games but then got whupped by Fax at home the week after.

• Like 2

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

36 minutes ago, roversspud said:

This is an odd one as one of the 60s was against Sheffield and was the week BEFORE we played Cas.

Perhaps we just weren't properly focused on that game. We actually beat Swinton in between the Cas and Wigan games but then got whupped by Fax at home the week after.

Ah right. Was it the Sheffield or the Fax game that was the bizarre 60-40 (ish) affair? 

York played well against us at the bash and need all the respect they deserve. A couple of our tries might have gone upstairs to check groundings had it been used so they weren't a million miles off. They are a desperate team now and they have got three matches in a week to play. There effort against a very good Leigh side was astonishing and I had them down for a sixty point thrashing. Leigh had a man sent off but it was still a great performance against a full time team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

Ah right. Was it the Sheffield or the Fax game that was the bizarre 60-40 (ish) affair? 

Definitely Sheffield. I know, as I was MOM sponsor and it was virtually impossible to choose one as we were so poor. It wouldn't have mattered who we chose, someone would have said they'd played rubbish, and of course, they would have been right!

• Like 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

1 hour ago, roversspud said:

Definitely Sheffield. I know, as I was MOM sponsor and it was virtually impossible to choose one as we were so poor. It wouldn't have mattered who we chose, someone would have said they'd played rubbish, and of course, they would have been right!

Didn't andy kain have something like 5 intercepts returned for tries that game?

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

2 from Finn and 2 from Kain. An altogether strange game.

Bonkers. Weren't something daft like 4-44 down before we started ripping them to shreds to get within a score?

Then threw more intercepts to chuck the game away? I saw Neil fox in pinders the week after. Even he said how nuts that game was

• Like 1

On 23/06/2023 at 16:49, POR said:

Just what has hardcastle got to do to get a game I feel he should be one of the first names on the team sheet always gives a good account of himself and one of the few players who could meet super league standards. He ought to consider leaving fev as obviously longy doesn’t rate him that highly but I’m hoping he will get some time on the pitch today as an interchange but should be in the starting 13.

• Haha 1

Bad afternoon for personnel

Sounds like a bad leg break for bussey and his season is over

Hardy as well - its rumoured to be his season finished also 

Good job theres multiple combinations of people on the sidelines who can easily replace those two - get well soon!

On the pitch - as i mentioned last week, lets judge that HB combo against different opposistion and not wax lyrical after playing a 2nd string London - well quite frankly the HBs were terrible today just one bit of creativity from lacans which was the same move we did last week & i would be worried if i was Long because our plan B of smash it down the middle may have worked today but we are going to end up with the forwards on their knees in a few weeks when the more “testing” opposistion await as i dont see the game plan changing until Ford is fit

As said the forwards won us the game today as well as the Jones hail mary pass to Davies leading to the MK try

Batted York into submission who well in it at HT but well out of it in the end 

Thought Leilua & Moors had decent games today but it says it all where the game was won when a 36yr old forward is one of our best players

A win is a win though & onto the next one

Edited by elppaxr2i
  • Like 1

We keep winning but without playing to the standard the squad should reach.Bit luck with the try from K as the pass to John Davies looked a yard forward.But York rarely troubled our defence.First try from an interception and the second from a very good kick which Briscoe failed to take under pressure.Not creating enough from the half backs and we seem obsessed using the left side on attack.Hankinson and Gale hardly got a look in.Davies made a difference when he came on as he usually does.And although he is dangerous in open play Jones only got 30 min surely not enough.If Bussey has a broken leg i think we may have seen the last of him.he has been one of our better forwards over the last few years.Bad luck on Hardcastle on his first game back.Although i thought we had their measure in open play York deserve credit for their sterling defence we would have scored at least a couple more tries against most teams.Can see why Sean left Hau out in this game but any thoughts on why Cozza ans Smith didn't play.Probably to give Moors and Hardcastle a run out as i thought they have last week.

• Like 1

Bussey hardy and day all out for season. Bussey only the big miss for us with hardy being hit and miss in the squad and day doing nothing this year. But we’ve got plenty to fill in for us, Davies been good so can easily slot into days spot! Then we’ve got Cozza smith hau 

• Like 1