Glastonbury thoughts

What does everyone make of Glastonbury up to now ? Arctic Monkeys were good but crowd seemed to be uninspired by there new stuff .Likely not able to singalong so got bored waiting for the hits .Foo Fighters were a racous mess , took me nearly a minute to work out what song they were actually playing ,The Fred Again character was too dull .Surprisingly enjoyed the out and out pop of Carly Rae Jepsen , good guitarist in her backing group .

There are reported to be at least 500 BBC employees - possibly up to 1,000 - swanning around and partying at Glastonbury, some staying at a £400 a night hotel.

BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, Radio 1, Radio 1 Dance, Radio 1Xtra, Radio 2, Radio 6 Music, Asian Network and Radio 4 are all broadcasting live from the event.

What a waste of the TV tax. 

Edited by Number 16

4 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

There are reported to be at least 500 BBC employees - possibly up to 1,000 - swanning around and partying at Glastonbury, some staying at a £400 a night hotel.

BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, Radio 1, Radio 1 Dance, Radio 1Xtra, Radio 2, Radio 6 Music, Asian Network and Radio 4 are all broadcasting live from the event.

What a waste of the TV tax. 

Stick to the music in here.

If you want to rant about the BBC licence fee do it in the politics sub-forum.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Glastonbury's pretty much passed me by so far this year. And what with three different RL tournaments being streamed today, I don't have enough screens available to watch a music festival as well.

Might tune in later and see what's what.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Glastonbury's pretty much passed me by so far this year. And what with three different RL tournaments being streamed today, I don't have enough screens available to watch a music festival as well.

Might tune in later and see what's what.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

pretentious to the hilt - i doubt 90% of the people there have ever seen the inside of a council house 

Which is an absolute priority if you want to go to Glastonbury. You really are a class ridden old fogey aren't you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Which is an absolute priority if you want to go to Glastonbury. You really are a class ridden old fogey aren't you?

no I  am classless - more crass than class - time served 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

last night was 20 year old anthems

tonight its 35 year old anthems 

tomorrow its 85 year old anthems 

all mixed in with modern shyt that all sounds exactly the same PAP POP

supermarket society festival

come to a proper festival real music - real people

Line Up (rebellionfestivals.com)

Edited by graveyard johnny

Rebellion Festivals... featuring vital new talent like The Damned, New Model Army, UK Subs, The Dickies, Big Country, Steel Pulse, Die Toten Hosen and Spizz Energi.

No old git music there, eh?

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

What does everyone make of Glastonbury up to now ? Arctic Monkeys were good but crowd seemed to be uninspired by there new stuff .Likely not able to singalong so got bored waiting for the hits .Foo Fighters were a racous mess , took me nearly a minute to work out what song they were actually playing ,The Fred Again character was too dull .Surprisingly enjoyed the out and out pop of Carly Rae Jepsen , good guitarist in her backing group .

I have watched 1 (one) session - and that was Rick Astley this morning and I did that because twitter was suddenly full of a whole bunch of people saying how enjoyable it was.

And it was.

Someone loving the very fact that he was even on the stage and sharing that with the audience whilst also making sure his band and backing singers got their moment too. It was so lovely.

I'll probably seek out out Carly Rae Jepsen's set too. A decade (and more) of absolutely unapologetic machine-tooled pop music there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Rebellion Festival... featuring acts like The Damned, New Model Army, UK Subs, The Dickies, Big Country, Steel Pulse, Die Toten Hosen and Spizz Energi.

Die Toten Hosen are releasing new music even now (no idea on the others) that is on a par (to my ear) to the best of their earlier stuff - and have exactly the kind of political ideals that I think certain nostalgics might find unappealing.

Have they ever played Glastonbury? They seem like the kind of band who could really work the crowd there.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have watched 1 (one) session - and that was Rick Astley this morning and I did that because twitter was suddenly full of a whole bunch of people saying how enjoyable it was.

And it was.

Someone loving the very fact that he was even on the stage and sharing that with the audience whilst also making sure his band and backing singers got their moment too. It was so lovely.

I'll probably seek out out Carly Rae Jepsen's set too. A decade (and more) of absolutely unapologetic machine-tooled pop music there.

Astley has passed through the looking glass of naff, had a brief stopover in post-modern irony (plus internet infamy) and is now just an entertainer who delivers the goods. Plus his voice has lost that irritating back-of-the-throat sound I loathed when he was a SAW artist.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I loved the Gabriels he has an incredible voice.

Enjoyed Raye, Generation Sex was an interesting mash up, only saw 2 songs.

Saw a young lad on the interview stage red hair but a great voice, didn't catch his name.

I enjoyed the Foo Fighters would imagine it was great live.

saw somewoman ripping off other songs last night nothing original, no idea who she was.

Been doing some summer hibernation and catching up with some of the sets. Foo Fighters were disappointing and I really wasn't impressed with Arctic Monkeys either.

I watched The Lathums this afternoon and they were miles better than the more well known bands. The singer sounded really good and the guitarist is incredibly good for what still seems like a local band (albeit one with 2 number 1 albums)

I may be biased as I'm (completely unironically) a big fan of Carly Rae Jepsen but her set was excellent. Most people only know her for Call Me Maybe but she's got so many good songs. Completely unpretentious as pop should be. Altering the songs to be mostly guitar driven was a nice touch.

Lewis Capaldi deserves some credit for going on stage despite clearly struggling massively with his tics due to Tourette's and ended up losing his voice completely near the end. His music might not be to everyone's taste but he comes across as a likeable guy.

Rick Astley was fantastic and his set with The Blossoms singing nothing but Smiths covers was bizarre but brilliant (and far better than listening to Morrissey these days).

Edited by EagleEyePie
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Rebellion Festivals... featuring vital new talent like The Damned, New Model Army, UK Subs, The Dickies, Big Country, Steel Pulse, Die Toten Hosen and Spizz Energi.

what about the other 200 bands and the 30 plus bands springing up from all over europe to play in pubs and bars around the festival - you are obviously clueless

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

what about the other 200 bands and the 30 plus bands springing up from all over europe to play in pubs and bars around the festival - you are obviously clueless

No; just having a joke.

You were slagging off the 200-odd acts playing Glastonbury alone (including some in common with Rebellion) based on nothing more than miserable old soddery, so I thought I'd take the mickey.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hear they are having a problem with people tunnelling in to the grounds. I actually thought this had been sorted out and they'd stopped it several years ago but apparently not. 

Not sure how much the people providing entrance via the tunnel charge but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. But I suppose the ludicrously expensive tickets will do that to people. 

1 minute ago, The Masked Poster said:

I hear they are having a problem with people tunnelling in to the grounds. I actually thought this had been sorted out and they'd stopped it several years ago but apparently not. 

Not sure how much the people providing entrance via the tunnel charge but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. But I suppose the ludicrously expensive tickets will do that to people. 

i would be tunnelling out

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

We used to go under the fence in the late 80s early 90s. Usually finding a hole dug by someone else. The hardest bit was getting to site as the started checking tickets on the approach. They tried all sorts like bigger fences or second fences with security driving in the gap between them. I’d imagine the numbers who get in now they aren’t that bothered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

Lewis Capaldi deserves some credit for going on stage despite clearly struggling massively with his tics due to Tourette's and ended up losing his voice completely near the end. His music might not be to everyone's taste but he comes across as a likeable guy.

I don't particularly like his music, but if he ever fancies a parallel career in stand-up, he has the makings of a very fine deadpan comedian.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pretenders best set so far even though its chrissie hynde and 3 guys who were not even born when the pretenders had their first hit - just call it the chrissie hynde band - is there any thing johnny marr wont do anymore? apart from write a decent song- full marks to the young kid in the morrissey t shirt

• Like 1