Challenge cup attendance

3 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Is a stadium that is less than 20 years old and is regularly criticized for its sight lines and distance from seats to pitch really the most famous stadium in the world? The romance and glamour of Wembley seems to be for the original stadium and that went away when the two towers were knocked down.

It reminds me of Yankee stadium, possibly the most famous stadium in the US. They did major renovations in the 70s, which changed the dynamics of the stadium so much people no longer considered it the same stadium Babe Ruth played in, so there wasnt much up roar when it was demolished a few years ago. Meanwhile there were Detroit Tiger fans openly weeping as their iconic stadium was closed for the final time.

I imagine if the FA decided to demolish the current stadium and start again, no one would really care, certainly not to the degree like with the original stadium.

Always found it excellent to be honest - and never heard similar feedback to what you have.

Now - Elland Road, OT and SJP are dumps.

1 hour ago, Havenlad80 said:

And I’m happy for you mate honestly I am but the final attendances are on a worrying downward trajectory and will be surely hitting profit margins.

Absolutely correct. I'm honestly pleased for fans that have seen their teams down in the dumps and are now going to watch them in a major Wembley final, it's the stuff of dreams. 

Unfortunately, the attendance is a serious issue that can't be just swept under the carpet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

It is way down from the 80k and 90k+ gates it used to get, that much is undeniable. But what you say is probably realistic.

Which leaves us with the option of continuing using Wembley for old times sake and losing money hand over fist, or moving to another stadium that will sell out or even be 90-95% full. Having 3 games is overkill and is a fairly desperate measure in reality. If it is to continue at Wembley then either accept the losses or think of something to get more people in. And as has already been pointed out, the days of pub trips and WMC outings are pretty much a thing of the past and Wembley is not as special as it once was. 

The players in the ladies final and 1895 final are absolutely buzzing about playing at Wembley, much more so than they would be if the game was elsewhere.   

Also there aren’t many stadiums where it  would be 95% full, downsizing to a less glamorous or historic ground would reduce the attendance. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

CC is sadly well passed its sell by date there should be ONE FINAL and ONE WINNER just rotate the SLGF 

* London 

* Edinburgh

* Cardiff

* Dublin

* Barcelona 

Put the tickets on sale way before have a 2 week gap between semis and final and hold back 10000 for each finalist.

Do you think more people would go to the CC final in Dublin, Edinburgh, Barcelona or Cardiff than they do at its historic home at Wembley? 

Just now, Eddie said:

The players in the ladies final and 1895 final are absolutely buzzing about playing at Wembley, much more so than they would be if the game was elsewhere.   

Also there aren’t many stadiums where it  would be 95% full, downsizing to a less glamorous or historic ground would reduce the attendance. 

I'm sure they are stoked and genuinely pleased to be playing at Wembley. But if this is the answer, why not have 5 finals on the same day? More friends and family and club supporters surely will mean a bigger attendance? Or maybe that idea isn't actually working and is watering down the respective finals? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

CC is sadly well passed its sell by date there should be ONE FINAL and ONE WINNER just rotate the SLGF 

* London 

* Edinburgh

* Cardiff

* Dublin

* Barcelona 

Put the tickets on sale way before have a 2 week gap between semis and final and hold back 10000 for each finalist.

This is an interesting point, which I'll look at from the other perspective: Many other sports with a playoff and grand final / superbowl format don't have a stand-alone cup competition of almost-equal value... NFL, NHL, NBA, NRL etc. etc. This is relatively unique, and an asset. 

Instead of bemoaning how Wembley Final attendances have declined, maybe we should instead be grateful for what we now have: Two showpiece finals, with an aggregate attendance consistently 130k+, spread across the season to help the sport's profile and give players and fans an event to aspire to be part of. That's far better than when we were getting 90k to one event at Wembley and the league competition ending with a whimper, a borderline friendly "Premiership Final" played out at Headingley or one of the other club grounds.  

I see having a London 2nd showpiece as a platform to build on. Over a century of heritage, brand equity and stories that resonate. Now imagine if we can get the sales and marketing engine fired up, and make 130k over 150k in total across the season. Then 160k. What an opportunity. 

Half-full, not half-empty!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

18 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Always found it excellent to be honest - and never heard similar feedback to what you have.

Now - Elland Road, OT and SJP are dumps.

Fair enough, I typed all that as someone who has never set foot in your country, yet alone visited any of your stadiums. But for what its worth, just from what I've seen on tv, think I'd rather take in the atmosphere at Castleford over Wembley. Sometimes, the old beat up stadiums just provide a feel that modern stadiums with their amenities can never reach.

Still, I don't think the current stadium is even in the top 25 of iconic stadiums in the world. I'm even concerned the Bernabeau is going to lose some of its luster now that its wrapped in aluminum foil

Edited by emesssea

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Absolutely correct. I'm honestly pleased for fans that have seen their teams down in the dumps and are now going to watch them in a major Wembley final, it's the stuff of dreams. 

Unfortunately, the attendance is a serious issue that can't be just swept under the carpet. 

I totally agree with what a poster said earlier in that it was the old twin towers that was the draw and the magic compared to the new Wembley.

plus the Wembley final was the pinnacle before the super league GF came into existence a bit like the FA cup in football before the premier league and the champions league but unlike our final the FA cup final crowds haven’t taken a hit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Fair enough, I typed all that as someone who has never set foot in your country, yet alone visited any of your stadiums. But for what its worth, just from what I've seen on tv, think I'd rather take in the atmosphere at Castleford over Wembley. Sometimes, the old beat up stadiums just provide a feel that modern stadiums with their amenities can never reach.

Still, I don't think the current stadium is even in the top 25 of iconic stadiums in the world. I'm even concerned the Bernabeau is going to lose some of its luster now that its wrapped in aluminum foil

Wow.

Edit - If you want to complain about distance from the pitch and sight lines, look at the old Wembley closely.

Edited by Leonard

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Wow.

Edit - If you want to complain about distance from the pitch and sight lines, look at the old Wembley closely.

Yes but as I said, old broken down stadiums always have that nostalgic factor, so their flaws are overlooked. Every single stadium built in the last few years is far better than any stadium before them, but they lack the history and feel, so when someone says the current wembley is the most famous in the world, Im skeptical because I dont even consider it the most famous stadium in England.

Think of all the people who played or attended those iconic finals that gave old Wembley the mystique that made it famous world wide. Do you you think if they were alive today they would consider the current stadium the same place? Yah placed like Old Trafford and Anfield dont look like they did a 100 years ago, but they still retain the original core of the stadium.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think more people would go to the CC final in Dublin, Edinburgh, Barcelona or Cardiff than they do at its historic home at Wembley? 

I am referring to Super League Final CC sadly i think has had it.

Sure the powers to be will point to the TV viewing 80% of which will be over 70 and asleep in the armchair after 3 hours in the pub.

It's like the parrot 

6 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Yes but as I said, old broken down stadiums always have that nostalgic factor, so their flaws are overlooked. Every single stadium built in the last few years is far better than any stadium before them, but they lack the history and feel, so when someone says the current wembley is the most famous in the world, Im skeptical because I dont even consider it the most famous stadium in England.

Think of all the people who played or attended those iconic finals that gave old Wembley the mystique that made it famous world wide. Do you you think if they were alive today they would consider the current stadium the same place? Yah placed like Old Trafford and Anfield dont look like they did a 100 years ago, but they still retain the original core of the stadium.

Who exactly says it is the most famous in the world? As a sports fan who has travelled the world to watch multiple sports, that is a conversation I have never had.

Anfield has no core of the stadium now. All has been rebuilt in the last 30 odd years. 

Centenary Stand in 1992

Kop 1994

Annie Road this year

Other stand 2-3 years ago

It has massively changed - even if you consider standing to seating.

Same for places like Lords and Wimbledon and the same with Old Trafford.

I'm sure there is a point in there somewhere about new stadiums being identikit - but not sure the relevance to the CC.

And for sure - a load of NRL stadia and AFL stadia won't be on the list.

Edited by Leonard

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And the ###### streaming down the terraces - happy days. 

Standing at Belle Vue watching Trin send London down with half the terrace cordoned off with tape like a crime scene for safety reasons.

Magical.

FWIW - Wembley has held an Olympics, Live Aid, and a range of sporting events, concerts and occasions that make it tough to beat - whether or not people agree with the current incarnation.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Standing at Belle Vue watching Trin send London down with half the terrace cordoned off with tape like a crime scene for safety reasons.

Magical.

FWIW - Wembley has held an Olympics, Live Aid, and a range of sporting events, concerts and occasions that make it tough to beat - whether or not people agree with the current incarnation.

It’s iconic, moving the final to St James Park, Ethiad or Anfield would be suicide, not to mention none of those grounds could hold the current attendances.  The only Northern ground capable would be Old Trafford, and that’s the home of the GF. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I am referring to Super League Final CC sadly i think has had it.

Sure the powers to be will point to the TV viewing 80% of which will be over 70 and asleep in the armchair after 3 hours in the pub.

It's like the parrot 

Why would you move the GF from Old Trafford? It’s the traditional (25 year) home of the game and crowds hold up very well. You’d never get 65-70k people going to it in any of those places, and it would alienate thousands of people who go to OT every year regardless of who’s playing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s iconic, moving the final to St James Park, Ethiad or Anfield would be suicide, not to mention none of those grounds could hold the current attendances.  The only Northern ground capable would be Old Trafford, and that’s the home of the GF. 

Probably what we should reasonably have done is try and get a better deal on Wembley. It is easy money for them but the guarantee feels a little high, we are tied in for 10 years and stops us making more money off the event. Especially given, compared to Football, you would think concession sales are far higher.

In the same way that Magic just about breaks even all in.

I agree that SJP would not sell out if moved there.

Edited by Leonard

On 07/08/2023 at 07:06, Leyther_Matt said:

I’ve literally waited all of my life to see this game.

I can certainly understand why any neutrals wouldn’t fancy shelling out a good few quid without a horse in the race, though. 

I work with a bloke from Leigh,he's got two brothers and a sister. They're all going down together minus they're other half's as none of them are from Leigh. He's absolutely buzzin. He got a bit teary wishing his dad was still here. They're all proper Leythers. I'm backing Leigh too. Hope you enjoy,I assume you're going too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Probably not the right thread for it (not least because it contains positivity) and pretty much a carbon copy of my earlier post, but never in my lifetime did I think I’d be seeing Leigh in a Wembley cup final, even less so in the actual main event! Couple that with another bucket list tick in seeing Bolton lift a Wembley trophy in April and it’s been a hell of a year. 

We’ve got open train tickets and giddiness dictates we’re already aiming for a train on Friday afternoon three hours earlier than initially planned. 

Hope you enjoy it mate. My four trips to Wembley in recent years, seeing us win each time were unbelievable days. 

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why would you move the GF from Old Trafford? It’s the traditional (25 year) home of the game and crowds hold up very well. You’d never get 65-70k people going to it in any of those places, and it would alienate thousands of people who go to OT every year regardless of who’s playing. 

Ironically, I think if you moved the Cup Final to Old Trafford, we could end up moving the grand final to Wembley!