Burgess in at Wire (Merged Threads)

On 24/08/2023 at 17:56, ELBOWSEYE said:

Really clutching at straws there, it shows how he he's not prepared to accept drop in standard no matter the player, looks like we have someone who will drive standards of the club and playing group.

When will you ever learn to stop responding to the Saints troll? He's been at it for many years on here yet you still bite.

On 24/08/2023 at 18:43, Just Browny said:

It always heartens me that, despite all the success your lot have, and all the false dawns mine have, you still have to pop on every thread and show off your insecurities.

The idea (popularised by Rod Studd for some reason) that we have a new coach and clear the squad out every year is complete garbage; we've had three coaches in 15 years.

Stop bloody feeding the troll.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Not like its hard to get the coaching badge that he requires. Can never quite understand why such a big thing is made over things like this. Burgess probably has more knowledge than 3/4 of the people who hold a coaching bacdge in this country.

Concessions have been made to many recent aspiring coaches, due to the lack of face-to-face training opportunities during lockdown. Burgess isn't getting special treatment.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Not like its hard to get the coaching badge that he requires. Can never quite understand why such a big thing is made over things like this. Burgess probably has more knowledge than 3/4 of the people who hold a coaching bacdge in this country.

In reality, Big things are not made of this. It's a nothing article that knows it will rile a few people. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been debated elsewhere, but how does Burgess's appointment and the signings to date make Wire 3rd favorites to win SL?

Does anyone genuinely think they have a chance (and I don't mean, yes they do, because they are in the league)?

53 minutes ago, davet said:

Apologies if this has been debated elsewhere, but how does Burgess's appointment and the signings to date make Wire 3rd favorites to win SL?

Does anyone genuinely think they have a chance (and I don't mean, yes they do, because they are in the league)?

I expect the thinking is that Wire have generally got a good squad. We were generally finishing around 3rd or 4th prior to Powell coming in and trashing the club. We also showed glimpses last year that we aren't a bad team, and indeed finished 6th in the ladder. So I don't think its that much of a stretch to think that getting rid of Powell would see us improve. 

On the signings, we desperately needed centres and we've signed some. We'll be far worse off at hooked, exchanging Daryll Clarke for Brad Dwyer, but hopefully Walker steps up. 

And on Burgess, who knows, but if he was a little known assistant from the NRL he'd probably get more positivity. 

I guess we need to be looked at in relation to other clubs.  Wigan & Saints will be some way in front of us, Catalan will have a big transition of players next season, Tomkins, Pearce & May all leaving amongst others, so I'd say there was a risk they could go backwards - though McNamara has recruited well at Catalan over the past few years it has to be said.

Of the remaining teams Leigh & Hull KR probably need to prove themselves next year (in terms of year on year consistency) after great seasons in 23, Hull & Leeds too remain unknown quantities I would say, and finished behind us in 2023. I'd say 3rd is the highest I'd expect us to finish next season, but I can't see Wigan or Saints being outside of the top 2.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I expect the thinking is that Wire have generally got a good squad. We were generally finishing around 3rd or 4th prior to Powell coming in and trashing the club. We also showed glimpses last year that we aren't a bad team, and indeed finished 6th in the ladder. So I don't think its that much of a stretch to think that getting rid of Powell would see us improve. 

On the signings, we desperately needed centres and we've signed some. We'll be far worse off at hooked, exchanging Daryll Clarke for Brad Dwyer, but hopefully Walker steps up. 

And on Burgess, who knows, but if he was a little known assistant from the NRL he'd probably get more positivity. 

Maybe he'll get Warrington to practice and rehearse as a team. I think he'll make a real improvement in fitness and motivation.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Wouldn't want to be the player who lets him down and has to face him. The biggest thing Sam needs is a good coaching group around him. Rumour is Kasiano might be on his way which frees up an overseas slot.