Vegas baby!!

Seems there is also a youth 9s being played in Vegas, I had completely missed that, Utah are sending 7 teams. Lots of praise from Utah RL for the NRL in this post, hopefully there is a good relationship growing here after the RU fiasco in December, silver lining and all that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Seems there is also a youth 9s being played in Vegas, I had completely missed that, Utah are sending 7 teams. Lots of praise from Utah RL for the NRL in this post, hopefully there is a good relationship growing here after the RU fiasco in December, silver lining and all that.

Can`t imagine how excited those kids will be to be able to top their weekend off with the double-header. Does it get any better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Copa said:

It’d be a shame if it became dominated by Australian suburban , regional and rural teams who destroy all before them.

That won't happen, the NRL are not stupid, they understand it would be counterproductive. Any international sides will be chosen carefully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Can`t imagine how excited those kids will be to be able to top their weekend off with the double-header. Does it get any better.

The whole weekend seems to be turning into a RL festival. Fortunately for me I will be there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The whole weekend seems to be turning into a RL festival. Fortunately for me I will be there.

You lucky person!

In early December, without telling the wife, I applied for a new Aussie passport as my passport had run out.  The new passport came back just 10 days later.  That evening I said to the wife ‘Fancy ten days in Las Vegas and we can watch the NRL games’.  My wife who likes watching RL said ‘Yes, when is it?’.  I told her the date and then she said ‘Oh, I can’t go as I’m going on a four day cruise with the women from the Zumba class during that time’.

Looks like it will be 2025 before we go ☹️

29 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

You lucky person!

In early December, without telling the wife, I applied for a new Aussie passport as my passport had run out.  The new passport came back just 10 days later.  That evening I said to the wife ‘Fancy ten days in Las Vegas and we can watch the NRL games’.  My wife who likes watching RL said ‘Yes, when is it?’.  I told her the date and then she said ‘Oh, I can’t go as I’m going on a four day cruise with the women from the Zumba class during that time’.

You could just go to Vegas without her.............I'm sure you'd have much more fun 😉

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

You lucky person!

Which is obviously now your perfect opportunity to go to Vegas alone! It's not your fault she has already made her own plans without you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

You could just go to Vegas without her.............I'm sure you'd have much more fun 😉

A few years ago a good friend of mine went with a few others for a boxing match around 2am in the morning he received a knock on his hotel room.

Hello I am Wendy and i have been sent here to make you happy 

Transpired sadly for my mate Wendy had the wrong room:(

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Damien said:

Which is obviously now your perfect opportunity to go to Vegas alone! It's not your fault she has already made her own plans without you.

She said that she had told me but I can’t remember ever listening to what she said.  Although I do hear her say ‘The tea is ready’ most evenings 😄

On 09/01/2024 at 17:53, Copa said:

It’d be a shame if it became dominated by Australian suburban , regional and rural teams who destroy all before them.

On 09/01/2024 at 18:33, Gomersall said:

I was thinking the same.

On 09/01/2024 at 20:19, Whippet13 said:

That won't happen, the NRL are not stupid, they understand it would be counterproductive. Any international sides will be chosen carefully.

I couldn’t disagree more and think it would be brilliant to see any number of Aus, Kiwi, British, French and other teams from further abroad enter.

9s is the perfect vehicle for the lesser skilled teams to come up against clubs and players more familiar with the sport.

An abundance of mixed cultures really would make for a great tailgate the day of the NRL match.

• Like 2

Anyone heading for the pawn shop to meet Rick sadly the old man passed away and chumlie is in jail:(

David Foti managed to get a selfie with Rick on a holiday a while back might take my old stamp collection over see what he thinks a tuppanyblue is worth and a few others:)

Paul 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

On 10/01/2024 at 23:39, Sports Prophet said:

I couldn’t disagree more and think it would be brilliant to see any number of Aus, Kiwi, British, French and other teams from further abroad enter.

9s is the perfect vehicle for the lesser skilled teams to come up against clubs and players more familiar with the sport.

An abundance of mixed cultures really would make for a great tailgate the day of the NRL match.

Wasn't suggesting keep it to NA teams, an international flavour sounds great to me and wouldn't cost any more to host, just need to make sure the Yanks aren't pushed out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Wasn't suggesting keep it to NA teams, an international flavour sounds great to me and wouldn't cost any more to host, just need to make sure the Yanks aren't pushed out.

The yanks and cannucks must have the biggest representation, so no argument from me.

• Like 1

The boot is now on the other foot it seems:

The four Las Vegas-bound NRL clubs are reportedly calling for an urgent meeting with Peter V’Landys as confusion grows around players getting visas. 

The Broncos, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles will square off in a double-header on March 2, but the clubs are worried whether all their players will be able to enter America. 

The teams leave in less than a month for the matches at Allegiant Stadium and clubs are frustrated with the lack of information from head office on visas, medical insurance and training facilities in the US. 

Club bosses wrote to NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo on December 16 asking for a meeting to resolve the issues, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. 

The NRL reportedly indicated to the clubs for months that players could travel to the US on an ESTA, which waives the traveller from needing a visa, but that advice changed last Friday. 

The NRL emailed the clubs to warn that players who had been arrested could face challenges entering the US.

The email said players now have three options for entry and graded each approach: an athletes’ visa (most conservative); a visitors’ visa (conservative); and an ESTA (least conservative).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-news-2024-latrell-mitchell-fullback-south-sydney-rabbitohs-jason-demetriou-dragons-kyle-flanagan-shane-flanagan-team-news-selections/news-story/50df8c8bf2f82f3c0dc9db02c71eec8c

9 hours ago, Damien said:

The boot is now on the other foot it seems:

The four Las Vegas-bound NRL clubs are reportedly calling for an urgent meeting with Peter V’Landys as confusion grows around players getting visas. 

The Broncos, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles will square off in a double-header on March 2, but the clubs are worried whether all their players will be able to enter America. 

The teams leave in less than a month for the matches at Allegiant Stadium and clubs are frustrated with the lack of information from head office on visas, medical insurance and training facilities in the US. 

Club bosses wrote to NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo on December 16 asking for a meeting to resolve the issues, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. 

The NRL reportedly indicated to the clubs for months that players could travel to the US on an ESTA, which waives the traveller from needing a visa, but that advice changed last Friday. 

The NRL emailed the clubs to warn that players who had been arrested could face challenges entering the US.

The email said players now have three options for entry and graded each approach: an athletes’ visa (most conservative); a visitors’ visa (conservative); and an ESTA (least conservative).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-news-2024-latrell-mitchell-fullback-south-sydney-rabbitohs-jason-demetriou-dragons-kyle-flanagan-shane-flanagan-team-news-selections/news-story/50df8c8bf2f82f3c0dc9db02c71eec8c

Simple solution to this - they have big squads, just leave the ones who are criminals at home. Lets see who gets an "injury" ahead of Vegas, but is fit for round 2.

• Like 2

More issues:

The success of the NRL’s historic Las Vegas double-header could hinge on a meeting between the four clubs and ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys on Thursday.

As first reported by this masthead on Monday, the Brisbane Broncos, South Sydney, Sydney Roosters and Manly Sea Eagles have demanded a meeting with V’landys to resolve several issues, including visas.

The NRL’s financial contribution to the clubs’ training camps will also be discussed.

To make sure players are acclimatised to US conditions and ensure the March 2 double-header at Allegiant Stadium is of the highest quality, the four clubs will base themselves in Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas for more than a week before kick-off.

Sources with knowledge of the costs of the training camps, talking on the condition of anonymity because of the delicate nature of the subject, said the clubs would be out of pocket by about $400,000.

They will ask the NRL to cover some costs, but there is no guarantee the Vegas trip will be profitable for the clubs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/vegas-training-costs-of-400-000-the-latest-issue-for-crisis-meeting-20240124-p5ezqi.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

More issues:

The success of the NRL’s historic Las Vegas double-header could hinge on a meeting between the four clubs and ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys on Thursday.

As first reported by this masthead on Monday, the Brisbane Broncos, South Sydney, Sydney Roosters and Manly Sea Eagles have demanded a meeting with V’landys to resolve several issues, including visas.

The NRL’s financial contribution to the clubs’ training camps will also be discussed.

To make sure players are acclimatised to US conditions and ensure the March 2 double-header at Allegiant Stadium is of the highest quality, the four clubs will base themselves in Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas for more than a week before kick-off.

Sources with knowledge of the costs of the training camps, talking on the condition of anonymity because of the delicate nature of the subject, said the clubs would be out of pocket by about $400,000.

They will ask the NRL to cover some costs, but there is no guarantee the Vegas trip will be profitable for the clubs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/vegas-training-costs-of-400-000-the-latest-issue-for-crisis-meeting-20240124-p5ezqi.html

"Sources" reads like clickbait to me, plus it is not about being "profitable for the clubs", it's a long term plan requiring investment - I seriously doubt the NRL aren't covering agreed costs here.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

"Sources" reads like clickbait to me, plus it is not about being "profitable for the clubs", it's a long term plan requiring investment - I seriously doubt the NRL aren't covering agreed costs here.

The question of how much the NRL clubs themselves are asked to contribute has been a recurring and unanswered one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The question of how much the NRL clubs themselves are asked to contribute has been a recurring and unanswered one.

I cannot imagine the basics have not been covered by Vlandys, this is an NRL incentive, there is a 5 year plan and they are not short of a few quid. If this is true, it could be the clubs are after some extras here, self interest is as bad there as it is here - there were similar "financial concerns" from clubs when the NRL wanted to go to 17 clubs.

• Like 2