Challenge Cup confirmed for 2024 and 2025

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because football has the stadium booked solid in May now

And this is how you lose venues and preferred dates. Chopping and changing. Yes is good we have a venue & date for 2 years. In reality it should have been booked as a bare minimum 5 years if not 10

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I remember it being the first weekend, some dates looking back were actually in April. That worked with a winter season but would be far to early in the summer

Indeed, in my time watching the last weekend in April or first weekend in May was the traditional time. That is too early now with the summer season though.

Edited by Damien

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There were also 74,000 at Twickenham for the rah rah’s which must have shaved off a few of the potential local sales

(I note that it was below capacity so presumably there is a clamour on Total RU to take internationals to Henley on Thames and then there aren’t any empty seats on telly)

I thought some regular posters on here had been quiet. All them empty seats to count

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Because football has the stadium booked solid in May now

I thought the football cups started mid-late May & the semi-finals in late April.

Maybe start the season with a bang on New Year’s Day.

Cup games in a block.

Free up June for a 2 week’s of international games

40 minutes ago, JT RL said:

I thought the football cups started mid-late May & the semi-finals in late April.

Cup games in a block.

Who would we play if other countries are still playing their domestic schedule in June? NRL teams wont be releasing players…that doesnt leave much.

46 minutes ago, JT RL said:

Cup games in a block.

New Years Day is way too early. Its meant to be a summer sport. With internationals and holidays some players would only get about 4 weeks pre-season which isn't sufficient preparation for anything.

49 minutes ago, JT RL said:

In May, Wembley is now used by soccer for four league play off finals (National League, Leagues 1 & 2, Championship), the Women's FA Cup Final, the FA Trophy and FA Vase double header, as well as the FA Cup.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In May, Wembley is now used by soccer for four league play off finals (National League, Leagues 1 & 2, Championship), the Women's FA Cup Final, the FA Trophy and FA Vase double header, as well as the FA Cup.

And lets not forget that the FA own the new Wembley. We are in a weak enough position anyway with low crowds and little money but have no chance of getting back to May when the FA want to also utilise it as much as possible.

22 hours ago, Damien said:

Indeed, in my time watching the last weekend in April or first weekend in May was the traditional time. That is too early now with the summer season though.

It was definitely 2nd weekend of May - a date indelibly printed on my mind Leigh 24 v Leeds 7, Saturday 15 May 1971.

Yes traditionally the second saturday with the FA Cup final traditionally the third saturday. The championship play off final tended to be the weekend before.  i think the crowds started to drop off when it was moved away from that spot to a mid or even late season spot. It was no longer the end of season spectacle for everyone to enjoy with all other business completed…instead it became back to business the following weekend.

57 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

It was definitely 2nd weekend of May - a date indelibly printed on my mind Leigh 24 v Leeds 7, Saturday 15 May 1971.

As I said in my time watching. Not a single final in the 1980s or 90s was (when we still played in winter).

12 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

That would be the 3rd weekend.

Weekend 1: 1/2, Weekend 2: 8/9, Weekend 3: 15/16

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That would be the 3rd weekend.

Weekend 1: 1/2, Weekend 2: 8/9, Weekend 3: 15/16

Anyone know a tattoo remover for brains?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.