Sat 26th Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 18:00 (UK Time) (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/23 at 17:30

I was impressed with the performance from Wigan but also have to acknowledge that Catalans were a long way from their best. Who knows what the reason for Catalans poor performance was but what I certain of is that if we play then again it's going to be a much harder games, so I'm under no illusions that this game will have much of a bearing on what happens come the playoffs.

I did think Wigan had a hand in forcing Catalans to play poorly. Our defence was probably the best its been all year in the early stages where we coped well with the forwards. The Wigan pack looked comfortable and French and Smith had the ability to make an impact on the game. French has come in for a lot of criticism from Wigan fans but some of it just seems like confirmation bias. When our attack doesn't fire it's always because French isn't a 6 and it's bad for the team. We average more points per game with French at 6 than when others play there. He's a makeshift half due to the poor performances of others in that role and in that context his performances have been outstanding. 

One of the things that must have come up in the preparation for this game is Tomkins trying to influence the ref at every stoppage and not allowing him to do it. Farrell seemed to enjoy making sure Tomkins didn't get the chance to talk by himself and he got more rattled as the game went on.

Not the classic encounter that I think most would have hoped for but I think that's the way things go in this competition. There are a lot of evenly matched teams but they don't necessarily play at their best when they face each other so you can get one sided scores either way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Szymala said:

Is that their season over ? After all, Leigh have been written off after Friday's flogging at Hull KR. 

I'm calling it right now, another Wigan-Saints GF looms.  

Could be anything couldn’t it ? Could be Warrington v Hull KR ? 😂😂

I said Catalans were due a tubbing, and they got one handed to them. 

It’s a matter of who peaks but I wouldn’t go against Saints v Wigan either. 

Catalans looked like a team of players with the flu. No strength. Heard Johnstone came off at HT because he was unwell. Makes me think something viral going around that team. I know when I’m coming down with something I lose all strength about 24 hours beforehand. 
Take nothing away from Wigan. They were impeccable. The right balance of aggression and precision.

40 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Catalans looked like a team of players with the flu. No strength. Heard Johnstone came off at HT because he was unwell. Makes me think something viral going around that team. I know when I’m coming down with something I lose all strength about 24 hours beforehand. 
Take nothing away from Wigan. They were impeccable. The right balance of aggression and precision.

Catalans had the same virus as Leigh on Friday. 

‘couldntbearsed’ syndrome !

Catalans have been the most consistent team this year and probably the only one until last night who hasn't put in a shocker of a performance. Wigan were excellent and, I assume, in stark contrast to the side that limped past Hull FC last week.

Until last night, I've thought Catalans would be the team to beat as neither Wigan or Saints have proven consistent enough. I'm starting to doubt that slightly now though. I know finishing top isn't the be all and end all but with three away games left, it's not impossible that Catalans finish 3rd and that would be a much harder route to Old Trafford. 

Catalans, Wigan and Saints will now be going all out to clinch top spot. The week off and a home semi final that a top two finish would bring could be crucial. And by finishing top, you were get the more favourable tie.

• Like 1

Fascinating result in the context of the race for the shield and play off positions. I think Catalans have 3 away matches and a home match against Leeds, who can be awful or awfully good depending on the week. I actually fancied Wigan to win although not a chance did I think that they’d run up that score. This could be a one off, virus impacted, for Catalans but very interesting to see the impact psychologically. And let’s not take anything away from Wigan, hell of a result in Perpignan, both Wigan and Saints are running in to much better form and results lately….is it at the right time? 

Got to be honest .. I thought Wigan smashed them in every measurable way.

Catalan were has bad in the ruck/PTB as Wigan were but Wigan had their measure.

If that is what the Dragons have to bring at the business end of the season then they are gonna go home empty handed.

I said earlier in this thread that I was living in hope... I'm no longer living that way.

Massive thumbs up to Liam Byrne who ended that game like a gladiator 👍

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

On 27/08/2023 at 09:08, Szymala said:

Is that their season over ? After all, Leigh have been written off after Friday's flogging at Hull KR. 

I'm calling it right now, another Wigan-Saints GF looms.  

I don't think les Dracs will play that badly again. I'm sure McNamara will use the experience to boost the next games - if they don't, your prediction will more than likely be realised

13 minutes ago, gogledd said:

I don't think les Dracs will play that badly again. I'm sure McNamara will use the experience to boost the next games - if they don't, your prediction will more than likely be realised

If I look back on previous seasons for Saints it’s the sort of game where you can convince yourself it isn’t it isn’t a bad time to have it. Just before the play offs start kills off any complacency or over confidence and lets the squad refocus. Plus you go into the play offs owing one of the teams you are likely to play one. 

• Like 1