Is this the greatest NRL season ever and possibly best season in 30-35 years?

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Somebody could have been killed at that game. Assorted objects swept Up! Up! Cronulla then Down! Down! Cronulla like ballistic missiles.

Made it to number 3 on Channel 9 Footy Show’s list. Beaten by a bit of snow and a game which never took place.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 15:22, The Rocket said:

There was a push to reintroduce reserve grade by V`landy`s to provide more game day content and hopefully boost crowds like we had in the past where you could watch your team`s 18`s, reserves, and first grade on the one day.

These times were RL heaven for me. Every Saturday I went to  the SCG for the weekly match of the round and the following day for me it was to the Cronulla game for another 3 games. Especially good as I came here in the late 60's after a 2 year spell in South Africa where no RL matches of any significance were played.

• Like 1

If this happens it would be phenomenal:

All four week-one finals matches could be sold out for the first time in the NRL era, which ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said would compensate for any revenue loss due to lacklustre seasons from traditional Sydney heavyweights.

Having already set attendance records during the 2023 season, the NRL’s finals series is set to hit the road with at least two matches to be played in Brisbane and others in Auckland, Melbourne and Newcastle throughout September.

NRL 2023: NRL banking on first sellout for all week one finals matches in modern era as Allianz Stadium and CommBank Stadium to stay dormant (smh.com.au)

Two of 2022’s Top four teams (including losing Grand Finalists) in the Cows and Eels failed to make the top 8, while the Bunnies failed to repeat 2022’s top eight performance.

All three replaced by Warriors and Broncos in 2nd and 3rd with the Knights in 5th. 

A competitive season from 3rd to 11th.

• Like 1

In the aftermath of the Super League war, I never thought we'd see rugby league in Australia this healthy again. Those crowd figures and TV ratings are phenomenal.

The only thing missing now is an international scene to match what we had pre-1995, and I am starting to feel optimistic we'll see that rectified in the next few years. Great times for the game in this part of the world, and here's hoping we see some of that momentum flow into the northern hemisphere, too. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

In the aftermath of the Super League war, I never thought we'd see rugby league in Australia this healthy again. Those crowd figures and TV ratings are phenomenal.

The only thing missing now is an international scene to match what we had pre-1995, and I am starting to feel optimistic we'll see that rectified in the next few years. Great times for the game in this part of the world, and here's hoping we see some of that momentum flow into the northern hemisphere, too. 

One of my highlights for the year has been seeing Australia`s oldest and first (est. 1817) bank Westpac come on board as a major sponsor. Rugby League needs more blue-chip sponsors like this. I`d like to think they would be pretty pleased with the amount of exposure they`ve been getting this year as well.

Their humorous Rugby League themed advert has been a brilliant change from the usual advertising we attract as well.

westpac rugby league ad - Google Search

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I wish I shared that optimism. I can see the NRL continue to surge ahead but I think SL will be left behind which will mean Australia will find playing England less and less appealing. The same is true about France. They just can't seem to put it together and England don't want to play them. 

Maybe we'll see the Pacific nations surge ahead and with it more internationals but I fear it doesn't make enough financial sense.

Outside of those nations I can't see anything on the horizon but continued neglect and apathy. What do they have to look forward to?

new rise.jpg

NRL buys 71-room hotel next to Shark Park after Peter V’landys’ funding promise | The Australian

"Peter V’landys vow to keep the Sharks in the Shire has taken even more significance for the ARL Commission after head office revealed they had purchased a 71-room hotel adjacent to Cronulla’s home ground.

"The commission confirmed the purchase on Tuesday morning in a move designed to future-proof the code’s financial stability. It comes hot on the heels of V’landys’ declaration at the weekend that he was committed to securing the Sharks’ funding for a centre of excellence and upgrading its home ground.

"The commission’s latest investment, which follows their $25 million purchase of Gambaro’s hotel and restaurant in Brisbane last year, means the Sharks take on even more strategic importance for the code given the hotel overlooks Pointsbet Stadium.

The hotel is due to open in October and accommodation will be fully managed and operated by Quest. V’landys has been outspoken in his support for suburban grounds, claiming the code needs to nurture its tribalism.

As well as the hotel, the area around Pointsbet Stadium will accommodate shopping centres, cafes, bars and restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

NRL buys 71-room hotel next to Shark Park after Peter V’landys’ funding promise | The Australian

"Peter V’landys vow to keep the Sharks in the Shire has taken even more significance for the ARL Commission after head office revealed they had purchased a 71-room hotel adjacent to Cronulla’s home ground.

"The commission confirmed the purchase on Tuesday morning in a move designed to future-proof the code’s financial stability. It comes hot on the heels of V’landys’ declaration at the weekend that he was committed to securing the Sharks’ funding for a centre of excellence and upgrading its home ground.

"The commission’s latest investment, which follows their $25 million purchase of Gambaro’s hotel and restaurant in Brisbane last year, means the Sharks take on even more strategic importance for the code given the hotel overlooks Pointsbet Stadium.

The hotel is due to open in October and accommodation will be fully managed and operated by Quest. V’landys has been outspoken in his support for suburban grounds, claiming the code needs to nurture its tribalism.

As well as the hotel, the area around Pointsbet Stadium will accommodate shopping centres, cafes, bars and restaurants.

So the NRL now owns 2 hotels. Very cool.

Just now, Copa said:

So the NRL now owns 2 hotels. Very cool.

Obviously the NRL is a power house anyway but that strength is only going to further increase if they keep diversifying and investing in revenue generating assets like this. Its a great strategy.

On 04/09/2023 at 20:36, Pulga said:

The NRL has extended it's lead over the AFL in TV ratings to 18m viewers over the H&W season.

Last year it was around 12m.

A great result for the H&A season. The NRL as usual out eating the AFL in the regular season.

The AFL has soared ahead of the NRL in national ratings for the first two weeks of the finals as is common also.

The NRL will be pretty satisfied with the performance of the finals so far. The only match of six which hasn’t sold out was Friday night’s Storm crowd which disappointingly fell short of 20k.

The NRL can expect another sellout in Brisbane next week. I think 40k would be a good result at Homebush for Panthers v Storm.

On 12/09/2023 at 14:31, The Rocket said:

Bodes well for the Sharks to keep playing home games in Woolooware. The ground is so very out of date. A relic. 

Once the development next to the ground is complete, the Sharks may be sitting pretty for new stadium funding when the NSW Gov’t come back on board, which they willl.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2023 at 13:36, Pulga said:

Forgive my ignorance but can you clarify the data we are seeing here.

How can NRL aggregate viewing be 125.661m and then have NRL 128m in brackets.  What is the ~2.4m difference?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Forgive my ignorance but can you clarify the data we are seeing here.

How can NRL aggregate viewing be 125.661m and then have NRL 128m in brackets.  What is the ~2.4m difference?

Yeah it`s a bit confusing, the 128m figure is what the NRL are claiming, fumbleball loving sportsindustry the other figure. It`s an odd number to round up to if that`s what the NRL are doing, my bet is that they know something that sportsindustry don`t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only game they won’t be able to replicate is an iconic grand final circa a)2014, South’s v. Bulldogs (South’s comeback from extinction and Sam Burgess ‘s broken jaw M.O.M. performance)

and b)2015, another sensational final ended by a drop goal in golden point extra time by Jonathan Thurston to give little brother Cowboys a 17-16 win over the Broncos.

By the way John Asiata played for the Cowboys in this match, and then 8 years later was outstanding in the 2023 Challenge Cup for the Leigh Leopards, with not only the same score line, but also decided by a drop goal in extra time!!

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah it`s a bit confusing, the 128m figure is what the NRL are claiming, 

Hard to trust the Fox League and Fox Fumble data. We've been told for years of an ongoing migration from STB to streaming. Then from March to June this year there were more 300k+ NRL Fox STB games than ever before. Run-of-the-mill regular season games rated higher, in some cases substantially higher, than recent finals. The BVOD estimates are all over the place. None of it adds up.

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

fumbleball loving sportsindustry the other figure. It`s an odd number to round up to if that`s what the NRL are doing, my bet is that they know something that sportsindustry don`t.

There was a time when I half suspected the bloke at sportsindustry moonlighted as a purveyor of sports prophecy on TRL. But the personal details don't fit. He purports to be a Carlton-supporting Queenslander based in Adelaide. Arguably therefore, character more sinister and motives more suspect than a born-and-raised Victorian Fumbler.

BTW, NRL are claiming an average overall audience for NRLW games of 150k with an aggregate of over 6 million for the regular season. 

19 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

The only game they won’t be able to replicate is an iconic grand final circa a)2014, South’s v. Bulldogs (South’s comeback from extinction and Sam Burgess ‘s broken jaw M.O.M. performance)

and b)2015, another sensational final ended by a drop goal in golden point extra time by Jonathan Thurston to give little brother Cowboys a 17-16 win over the Broncos.

By the way John Asiata played for the Cowboys in this match, and then 8 years later was outstanding in the 2023 Challenge Cup for the Leigh Leopards, with not only the same score line, but also decided by a drop goal in extra time!!

What a good spot by you. As coincidences go, thats one of the best.