Sun 10th Sept: The Betfred League One Play-Offs Thread

2 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Donny basically buying their way out. Discarding previous players like trash off top of my head Tali, Butterworth, Corian, Roberts, Hall, etc. 

Corian is injured, Butterworth was on loan. Tali is a shadow of the player he was. Who would you drop for Roberts and Hall? Every time I post you're on this like a shot. Sick of it tbh. See you later. Find someone else to troll.

19 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Donny basically buying their way out. Discarding previous players like trash off top of my head Tali, Butterworth, Corian, Roberts, Hall, etc. 

Elliot Hall has just had an operation to repair a hamstring tear, so he is out for the foreseeable future. Tali has been struggling with injury all season. 

The only players in today's side who weren't with the club in the previous meeting between these sides were Fonua and Vete.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

10 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Tali, Hall an Corion are injured; Butterworth was a loan player to cover an injury while we looked for a permanent signing. Roberts has struggled to get into the team for 2 years (personally I would play him but I don't see what happens in training etc)

14 hours ago, Derwent said:

Might do but it also might ruin them. People underestimate how much money you need to spend to survive in the Championship. 

I was talking to a Workington supporter who reckoned that their problems last season and Whitehaven's this were due to having to try to compete in the Championship.

Back from a weekend of Rugby league. Saturday reffing and playing in the National Masters RL Festival in Blackpool. Some light refreshments in the evening. Then up and off to Boundary Park for a nerve shredding game against Oldham.

Incredible second half again from North Wales Crusaders, I thought it would be close but that was too intense! 

Huge thank you to the fabulous Roughyeds supporters; always a great bunch and very generous with their praise for our team.

• Like 3

On 10/09/2023 at 18:47, Derwent said:

Might do but it also might ruin them. People underestimate how much money you need to spend to survive in the Championship. 

Lets not get ahead of ourselves....Still Hunslet to play first....and even if we do beat them, we'd then face Doncaster! Whatever happens next we've had a fantastic run after the defeat by Cornwall. Cosidering we started the season 0 from 7 were finishing it off brilliantly.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oldham had three tries disallowed. This one, the ref said, was held up!!!!! 

in all fairness, we at Cru have been on more than our fair share of iffy reffing decisions over the years.......for instance the drop-goal that was so far under the post that rob burrow could have caught it stood on the goal-line anyone???

maybe karma's just on our side for once 🤣

• Like 1

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

7 hours ago, FearNothing said:

in all fairness, we at Cru have been on more than our fair share of iffy reffing decisions over the years.......for instance the drop-goal that was so far under the post that rob burrow could have caught it stood on the goal-line anyone???

maybe karma's just on our side for once 🤣

Maybe, but not as often as us as we have been going a lot longer. Can't remember ever having three tries disallowed though. Just shows the need for a video ref with such important games.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot

Interesting looking at the Player of the Season nominees for League 1. I thought Dewsbury did well to hold on to Reiss Butterworth when they went down so not surprised he's one of the nominees, but 34-year-old Sam Smeaton, 37-year-old Martyn Ridyard, and 42-year-old Paul Sykes as the other nominees are perhaps a tribute to how well modern players are able to look after their bodies and prolong their careers, but do we think they are also perhaps a reflection on the current overall talent level at League 1? I'm only asking rather than stating this as a fact as I barely get to see any League 1 games.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

23 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oldham had three tries disallowed. This one, the ref said, was held up!!!!! 

But the picture could be after the ref has blown his whistle and called held up...we dont when the picture was taken and at what stage of the decision making. I thought the ref had a good game to be fair. He put up with Ridyard and McNally carping at him all afternoon...I'm afraid my patience wouldn't have lasted that long!

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Interesting looking at the Player of the Season nominees for League 1. I thought Dewsbury did well to hold on to Reiss Butterworth when they went down so not surprised he's one of the nominees, but 34-year-old Sam Smeaton, 37-year-old Martyn Ridyard, and 42-year-old Paul Sykes as the other nominees are perhaps a tribute to how well modern players are able to look after their bodies and prolong their careers, but do we think they are also perhaps a reflection on the current overall talent level at League 1? I'm only asking rather than stating this as a fact as I barely get to see any League 1 games.

I've seen all North Wales Crusaders games bar one. I also went to watch Rochdale vs Oldham in a week we weren't playing, so I got to see a lot of league 1 players. Paul Sykes was excellent against us and ran the game seemingly without breaking sweat, so he'd get my vote.

Theres no one from our team in the nominations but Carl Forster should have had a mention for coach of the year considering the challenges hes face having to play at 5 different home venues and still getting his team to the playoffs and Rob Massam, although not as prolific a scorer in years gone by, still performs to the high standards he sets himself and is an outstanding player.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The question I would ask is what is the criteria for being nominated? Including the young player of the year award. Who is on the selection panel Peter’s and Lee?

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

These guys are still good players and could probably still be doing a job in the championship. Saying that the slower pace of league 1 means they can more readily utilise their experience.

I'd say the standard of league 1 has gone up over the years. Most clubs have a mix of youth and experience and some good DR players. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gogledd said:

But the picture could be after the ref has blown his whistle and called held up...we dont when the picture was taken and at what stage of the decision making. I thought the ref had a good game to be fair. He put up with Ridyard and McNally carping at him all afternoon...I'm afraid my patience wouldn't have lasted that long!

The two players sent off near the end of the game were cited for headbutting!! The review panel said that footage showed no headbutting motions occured and therefore no action needed'. What were the officials looking at? 

20 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Smeats has rightly been nominated partly for the 20 tries he's scored from the 2nd row. I think Butterworth will win it but (I know, I'm biased) Connor Robinson would have been a better choice than either Ridyard or Sykes as a half back nomination. Points, assists and tries Robbo is unlucky not to be nominated.

I have not yet had access to any information which explains what the formal nomination process is. Situations like this are always very very subjective. Regarding the young player award are we seriously saying that no Dewsbury youngster was worthy of at least a nomination or maybe they were I just don’t know. I haven’t seen any full information package.

4 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

The two players sent off near the end of the game were cited for headbutting!! The review panel said that footage showed no headbutting motions occured and therefore no action needed'. What were the officials looking at? 

I've watch the game back on the Sportsman on YouTube...my first question was why did either of them get involved. If you watch it again the two that were sent off were head to head and Baker does look like he moves his head towards Gibbons. In real time I can see why the ref cited them for headbutting....and anyway, they both deserved a sit down - pair of numpties!

I occasionally referee; just Masters RL and its easy to miss stuff or make a mistake. I think the ref had a decent game.

• Like 1

I think this thread is just about done now. IMHO the simple initial problem was this. Oldham were looking to rescue the game in the dying embers. Ridyard (I think put in a lovely kick which the NWC winger made a right hash of. Oldham were then presented with great field position to pull a rabbit out the hat and progress. However one player Paga had other ideas. He thought that it would be great to run up and take the Michael out of the hash type winger. Silly silly move under the circumstances. Paga was the instigator of the whole scenario wether he likes it not. He ultimately cost Oldham the chance of rescuing the game. It was the Super Dooper league experienced touch judge Mr Marklove who clearly stated that both Gibbons and Baker deserved red cards. The less inexperienced ref Mr Moore duly obliged. If Paga is due to stay on next year and Ford is involved I think a Yorkshire type conversation is required between Ford and Paga along the lines of “Listen owd ####. Stop being a p- -ck and get thee head on. It’s not all abart thee tha knows. Settle darn or tha on thi way cocker. Let’s leave it at that for na mucker”.

On 13/09/2023 at 21:03, gogledd said:

Go to the Oldham FB and website. The sequence before during and after has now been published. Decide for yourself.  

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Go to the Oldham FB and website. The sequence before during and after has now been published. Decide for yourself.  

I don't need to. The result was what mattered on the day. Whats done is done

• Like 1