Match thread: Championship Round 26. Toulouse v Featherstone Rovers. Saturday 16th September 2023.

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Cracking atmos in the clubhouse for this game.

I dislike MOM nomination. We win or lose as a team. However....

Best performance in a fev shirt from lacans.... though I suspect playing along side fordy helped that along.

Some sublime handling from Ford.

Locky, Day, we're excellent and Smithy had his best spell yet in that second half.

Hally had his best game this year imo.

A great Effort from Hanks and though Gaz had a nightmare first half he regained his composure for the second half.

I could work my way through every player. They did their jobs well.

The first game this season I've been wholly happy with the performance. Cut out the first half mistakes and totally controlled that second half.

Fordy now has some selection headaches

Totally agree.

Lacans took another late shot. Dusted himself down and dropped a goal to put game safe. He's got a tough core this lad.

FEV FAN  1964 - present.

Hall hardly got a look in because of briscoe and gale, but boy that lad has never let us down despite waiting in the wings pardon the pun! 

Good feeling after this game! No one else has beat Toulouse in their patch! I think we don't take the throttle off again widnes. Keep good form going into the semi! Blue wall will be buzzing UTR

• Like 2

On 16/09/2023 at 21:01, Monkeymagic22 said:

Good win that, Viva Fev Rovers 😀

Good win and an entertaining game for the neutral. Bearing in mind both teams had players missing plus Sylvain rested a few automatic starters. Brilliant travelling support as usual.

It was weird playing at Les Minimes again especially as the main stand was demolished a few years back. I wonder if they will return there on a regular basis ?

17 minutes ago, oiseau said:

Good win and an entertaining game for the neutral. Bearing in mind both teams had players missing plus Sylvain rested a few automatic starters. Brilliant travelling support as usual.

It was weird playing at Les Minimes again especially as the main stand was demolished a few years back. I wonder if they will return there on a regular basis ?

I enjoyed that stadium. A nice feel to it and easily accessible.

On 16/09/2023 at 14:12, The Phantom Horseman said:

Would certainly be nice to win today, but I think it might be wrong to read too much into the result. Their best 3 players from when we played them at Fev won't be playing today (Ralph, Peyroux, Jussaume) and by all accounts at least 2 of those are ready to play. Sounds like Ashall-Bott is also back in training but he might have a job on unseating recent signing Santo who has looked electric with ball in hand.

I doubt we'll be fielding our likely play-off team either, so whilst this will be an interesting game it probably won't be one to draw firm conclusions from.

Think to a degree what I said here all still applies, what we saw on Saturday was partly that if both teams are missing a few, then our depth is way stronger than theirs - we don't really lose much whichever players in our squad play, we barely have any "fringe" players this season, whereas the drop-off for Toulouse is significant once they are having to look beyond their best 18 or 19.

That said, though, we don't know for sure how many Toulouse players are ready to come back, and it sounds like they lost another one in Shorrocks yesterday. If Ralph, Jussaume, Harrison and Peyroux all return, their team will have a totally different look to it, but who knows how many of them will return.

Moreover, I thought we bullied them physically yesterday especially in the second half, and it was noticeable that we were making far more yardage than them, especially up the middle. From that point of view it was important psychologically.

Also it's really good that all the turmoil and uncertainty that we faced just a few weeks ago when Long was removed after the Halifax defeat is now gone and there certainly didn't look anything wrong with the players' motivation or commitment to the cause yesterday.

Interesting from a tactical POV that Lacans - who has played almost exclusively on the right this season - played on the left, and Ford, who has spent almost his entire career on the left hand side, played on the right. Whatever the reason, it worked as Lacans had one of his best games in a Fev shirt. Some very difficult decisions now for James Ford as it had previously looked a straight fight between Aikens and Chisholm as to who partners Johnno (assuming Johnno plays of course).

Thought Moors was really good too, he doesn't charge in these days, he just rumbles in but he's very effective as he's so hard to put on the ground, it's like watching the big but slow kid in the under 10s who the smaller kids just can't tackle.

Gale (twice) and Leilua unfortunately dropped kicks looking into the sun in the first half which proved costly but both bounced back, especially Leilua who gave his opposite number Armitage a torrid time.

All in all a very satisfying win, meaningless in itself but hopefully a positive sign for the play-offs.

One final thought, I hope that little concrete shed that we had as a changing room had air con (but I doubt it), it didn't appear to have any windows and the Fev players came out and waited outside a good few minutes before the kick off in the second half.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

, Interesting from a tactical POV that Lacans - who has played almost exclusively on the right this season - played on the left, and Ford, who has spent almost his entire career on the left hand side, played on the right. Whatever the reason, it worked as Lacans had one of his best games in a Fev shirt. Some very difficult decisions now for James Ford as it had previously looked a straight fight between Aikens and Chisholm as to who partners Johnno (assuming Johnno plays of course).

Not difficult for me Caleb and jonno everyday of the week WHY well jonno's our best playmaker and caleb has had more good games than chizzy and thomas put together and he's always got a try in him

45 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Just watched the game through again.

Fordy just kept it all calm, all cool. Organised everyone and totally controlled that second half. His pass for Hally's second was sublime.

Oh wasn't it just? You won't see a better cutout pass than that in SL.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Lacans had his best game of the year with Ford in the line-up. He's like having a coach on the field.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Oh wasn't it just? You won't see a betetr cutout pass than that in SL.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Lacans had his best game of the year with Ford in the line-up. He's like having a coach on the field.

Was that little concrete shed our players changed in like the one Steve McQueen was confined to in The Great Escape.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Was that little concrete shed our players changed in like the one Steve McQueen was confined to in The Great Escape.

Yes there was a definite similarity, but didn't they call that place "The Cooler"? I'm not sure there would have been anything cooling about that changing room in that heat!

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Oh wasn't it just? You won't see a better cutout pass than that in SL.

I still think his cut out pass against Bradford at home was the best pass I've seen in a long while. The speed and accuracy. Ben Blackmore could only watch as Gaz strolls in.

• Like 1

Something else about Ford, for someone who came to us with a reputation as a poor defender he has been pretty solid in his limited appearances to date, and he caused two turnovers with big hits in defence on Saturday.

Obviously we all know the issue with him is his durability but he's a reassuring presence when he's on the field.

21 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Something else about Ford, for someone who came to us with a reputation as a poor defender he has been pretty solid in his limited appearances to date, and he caused two turnovers with big hits in defence on Saturday.

Obviously we all know the issue with him is his durability but he's a reassuring presence when he's on the field.

Ford makes a massive difference. Personally I’d rest him against Widnes. No point taking risks in a meaningless match.

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That's good. I thought Joey might have picked up a ban for his off the ball tackle and, from only seeing it live, whoever it was who hit Lacans late.

The one I was worried about was Connor Jones' late hit, which I thought was a shade "later" than Bretherton's hit on Lacans.

Joey's alleged off the ball tackle was conveniently shielded from the cameras by a girder in the stand (though may have been visible from Toulouse's camera on the other side of the pitch).

Either way, no bans, we move on.