Featherstone Rovers 2024 Squad

marklaspalmas

32 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

It reads that we have lost 14 players. How  do you see the next line up?

They announced 17 players who have played all season have left tuther day C  flemming and coops who were both out on loan have gone as well

36 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

It reads that we have lost 14 players. How  do you see the next line up?

Far too early to say, Colin. We're in a bit of a rebuilding mode. Think we only have 7 confirmed at this stage plus about 6 more that we think are stopping (becasue they weren't on the leavers' list).

We'll need 10-12 more to be added between now and February and we don't really know what calibre they are likely to be at this stage. Given we are reportedly going with half the playing budget from last year, I wouldn't expect too many blockbuster signings, but we'll have to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Far too early to say, Colin. We're in a bit of a rebuilding mode. Think we only have 7 confirmed at this stage plus about 6 more that we think are stopping (becasue they weren't on the leavers' list).

We'll need 10-12 more to be added between now and February and we don't really know what calibre they are likely to be at this stage. Given we are reportedly going with half the playing budget from last year, I wouldn't expect too many blockbuster signings, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sorry TPH your reply came at same time as my last statement. Che3ers.

7 CONFIRMED 2024 SQUAD:

Gareth Gale (2024, 2025)

Caleb Aekins (2024)

Ben Reynolds (from Leigh) (2024, 2025)

Gadwin Springer (2024)

Greg Minikin (from Warrington)

Thomas Lacans (2024, 2025)

Connor Jones (2024)

TO BE ANNOUNCED:

Chris Hankinson, Brad Day, Jack Bussey, Josh Hardcastle, McKenzie Yei, Ellis Longstaff

CONFIRMED LEAVING:

James Lockwood (retired), Mark Kheirallah (retired), Luke Cooper (Batley), Craig Hall (Doncaster), Craig Kopczak (Oldham), Mathieu Cozza (Wakefield), Daniel Smith (Bradford),

Luke Briscoe, Johnathon Ford, Elijah Taylor, Matty Wildie, John Davies, Junior Moors, Joey Leilua, Tyla Hepi, Arama Hau, Dane Chisholm

48 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

7 CONFIRMED 2024 SQUAD:

Gareth Gale (2024, 2025)

Caleb Aekins (2024)

Gadwin Springer (2024)

Connor Jones (2024)

TO BE ANNOUNCED:

Chris Hankinson, Brad Day, Jack Bussey, Josh Hardcastle, McKenzie Yei, Ellis Longstaff

CONFIRMED LEAVING:

James Lockwood (retired), Mark Kheirallah (retired), Luke Cooper (Batley), Craig Hall (Doncaster), Craig Kopczak (Oldham), Mathieu Cozza (Wakefield), Daniel Smith (Bradford),

Luke Briscoe, Johnathon Ford, Elijah Taylor, Matty Wildie, John Davies, Junior Moors, Joey Leilua, Tyla Hepi, Arama Hau, Dane Chisholm

I would love to know why we aren't keeping Jonny Davies ,it certainly hasn't gone down well with our fan base.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

7 CONFIRMED 2024 SQUAD:

Gareth Gale (2024, 2025)

Caleb Aekins (2024)

Gadwin Springer (2024)

Connor Jones (2024)

TO BE ANNOUNCED:

CONFIRMED LEAVING:

Not too shabby a starting 13 if the 6 unknowns re-sign (assuming Josh is fully recovered)

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

We haven't got enough for a line up yet lol.

BUT don't forget F 

We are working hard on building a squad that James Ford can take into the new campaign with energy and excitement and more importantly .We are pleased that all our recruitment plans are progressing in the right direction.    We have made several other signings which will be announced over the next couple of weeks, :kolobok_yahoo:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, POR said:

BUT don't forget F 

We are working hard on building a squad that James Ford can take into the new campaign with energy and excitement and more importantly .We are pleased that all our recruitment plans are progressing in the right direction.    We have made several other signings which will be announced over the next couple of weeks, :kolobok_yahoo:

Can't wait

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not too shabby a starting 13 if the 6 unknowns re-sign (assuming Josh is fully recovered)

Not sure I'd completely agree. I'd definitely want Jack Bussey and Josh to stay but pretty ambivalent about the others apart from Longstaff who if he's got the right attitude ticks all the boxes.

On the Briscoe/JD debate, my thoughts are:

Very disappointed Briscoe isn't staying. He's been a top player at championship level for many years and given his age I'd expect that to continue for many more years. In my eyes his commitment has been up there with the best and more often than not his performances have been quality too. I've sensed though that whilst he has a big following some have been quick to criticise after a rare poor game when he's put down a couple of passes/kicks. Would have liked to see him stay but it might be Luke rather than the Club thats made the decision if contract terms were in issue?

On JD like Luke he's been a top player for many years. Usually a top 3 if not winner just about every season. He probably embodies the Club. Unfashionable as a player but respected by players. Adored by the fans. With all that though at times like these even with the most well considered approach to retention it is hard to keep sentiment out of it. JD has been in my top 3 favourite players throughout his time at Fev but now seems the right time to part company. He's starting to look more like his age now and if the Club policy is to contract players in their early thirties at worst then it would explain the decision in part. It might be the case that he's been overlooked a bit this season but it might also be the case that he's not had the confidence of the coach to give him the same game time he'd previously experienced. He's still capable of causing wrecking ball style openings from 1st receiver, coming from the bench but you do wonder if this is lessening in impact and duration. Paradoxically its probably the right decision. 

Just now, Squidward said:

Not sure I'd completely agree. I'd definitely want Jack Bussey and Josh to stay but pretty ambivalent about the others apart from Longstaff who if he's got the right attitude ticks all the boxes.

Very disappointed Briscoe isn't staying. He's been a top player at championship level for many years and given his age I'd expect that to continue for many more years. In my eyes his commitment has been up there with the best and more often than not his performances have been quality too. I've sensed though that whilst he has a big following some have been quick to criticise after a rare poor game when he's put down a couple of passes/kicks. Would have liked to see him stay but it might be Luke rather than the Club thats made the decision if contract terms were in issue?

On JD like Luke he's been a top player for many years. Usually a top 3 if not winner just about every season. He probably embodies the Club. Unfashionable as a player but respected by players. Adored by the fans. With all that though at times like these even with the most well considered approach to retention it is hard to keep sentiment out of it. JD has been in my top 3 favourite players throughout his time at Fev but now seems the right time to part company. He's starting to look more like his age now and if the Club policy is to contract players in their early thirties at worst then it would explain the decision in part. It might be the case that he's been overlooked a bit this season but it might also be the case that he's not had the confidence of the coach to give him the same game time he'd previously experienced. He's still capable of causing wrecking ball style openings from 1st receiver, coming from the bench but you do wonder if this is lessening in impact and duration. Paradoxically its probably the right decision. 

An interesting and thoughtful post.

I'm not sure that contract terms have necessarily been the issue because a few players seem to have suggested they were told they were no longer required. From the outside it seems like the club worked out that it could only afford to keep 10 or 12 players on anything like the contracts we were paying previously and that once that number had been decided on the rest would just be allowed to leave. The fact that we announced all 16/17 leavers at the same time might back up that theory.

I think everyone over the age of 31 has gone, which I guess would tie in with a rebuilding strategy.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Although if Matt Shaw is right we are about to sign a couple more veteran forwards
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/featherstone-rovers-close-duo-squad-28020677

If true (and no reason to believe it isn't), then that would mean the only player I recall us being linked with for next year when assumed we'd be promoted that isn't now signing is Greg Eden. Similarly, the players released list looks to me very much like all those that are either winding down at the end of their careers, or were unlikely to go FT. Briscoe iirc came back to us specifically for PT. Hau would be an obvious exception, but he's clearly going to head back to his parent club.

Possibly I'm reading far I much into this, but it's a different way to look at it.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 hours ago, Squidward said:

I said not too shabby, not world beaters.....