Mindless vandalism...

I just saw this. I am raging right now! What stupid ####er would do something like this?! What the #### are they getting out of doing this?! It's one of the most iconic landmarks in Britain, its like destroying stonehenge or blowing up our great cathedrals or something!! I am so upset by this... 😢

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

36 minutes ago, JonM said:

A 16 year old lad has been arrested.

Thérèse Coffey's younger than she looks!

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Little bast ard! There is no way he has done it on his own though when you see the pictures of the tree. That has been a very experienced person that's done it with how clean the cut is. 

Yes, you can see that the tree had been marked up with paint - and you'd assume someone has had to drive an offroad vehicle up there with the chainsaw etc. Probably needs to be in police custody for his own safety just now.

53 minutes ago, JonM said:

Yes, you can see that the tree had been marked up with paint - and you'd assume someone has had to drive an offroad vehicle up there with the chainsaw etc. Probably needs to be in police custody for his own safety just now.

Yeah I noticed the tree had been marked and you're quite right, there's no way a 16 year old could have got all the equipment up there.

He's taking the blame for someone else I think because at that age he'll get a slap on the wrist and can't be named either but that is just me speculating of course. Definitely needs to be in police protection if the uproar on the Internet is anything to go by. 

Build a wicker man and wait for more culprits to be identified...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah I noticed the tree had been marked and you're quite right, there's no way a 16 year old could have got all the equipment up there.

He's taking the blame for someone else I think because at that age he'll get a slap on the wrist and can't be named either but that is just me speculating of course. Definitely needs to be in police protection if the uproar on the Internet is anything to go by. 

The consensus view seems to be that there is no way a 16 year old did that by themselves.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Build a wicker man and wait for more culprits to be identified...

Don't think I've ever seen my Facebook feed this angry - I reckon there's a few thousand (at least) pitchforks being sharpened in the North Pennines.

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The consensus view seems to be that there is no way a 16 year old did that by themselves.

Country kids get to use dangerous machinery far earlier than any of their kith and kin would ever admit to the authorities. At least, that was the case when I was young.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Copa said:

I’d never heard about this tree before.. looks like a very scenic spot that would attract people and boost the local economy. I hope they can work out how to keep the people coming.

A lot of money is raised for charity in that part of the north through various walks staged in that area.

The Sycamore gap is a highlight not least for its photogenic qualities even for an amateur photographer.

When my friends in Cumbria realised what had happened yesterday, there was a real sense of genuine sadness and anger.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

Meanwhile in Brazil the rain forest is reducing by 10,000 km2 every year. 

Yeah and one of the great icons of the North of England has just lost 100% of its trees because of some brain dead #####. This is a thread about Sycamore Gap, if you want to start a thread about the destruction of the rainforest then feel free to do so. 

13 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah and one of the great icons of the North of England has just lost 100% of its trees because of some brain dead #####. This is a thread about Sycamore Gap, if you want to start a thread about the destruction of the rainforest then feel free to do so. 

I think you are hallucinating. The fact is, the title of the thread is Mindless Vandalism. Therefore my point is both relevant and ironic.

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

I think you are hallucinating. The fact is, the title of the thread is Mindless Vandalism. Therefore my point is both relevant and ironic.

Unless the trees in the rainforests are being cut down 'just because' you might have a point.

But they aren't, so not sure how your post is relevant or ironic.