Championship/League 1 meeting

saints10coach

Two french clubs to leave our english comp, two divisions of 16 clubs, top of league 1,crowned  champions, then a top 8 play off, bottom 2 relegated to division2, top of league 2 promoted, next 4 clubs below play off for second promoted cub. Bottom 2 cubs in division 2 can be relegated, if there's a club available to take their place, something to play for every club, its the only way to go, IN MY OPINION.

20 minutes ago, ben said:

Two french clubs to leave our english comp, two divisions of 16 clubs, top of league 1,crowned  champions, then a top 8 play off, bottom 2 relegated to division2, top of league 2 promoted, next 4 clubs below play off for second promoted cub. Bottom 2 cubs in division 2 can be relegated, if there's a club available to take their place, something to play for every club, its the only way to go, IN MY OPINION.

1. Why would you get rid of the two French clubs?

2. Who is going to pay for 16 full time squads?

3. Where are the players for four more full time squads coming from?

4. Where are the division 2 clubs relegated to, given this 2x16 approach would have to include the current SL clubs?

• Like 1

So you want the sport to not have its elite teams full time? 

And where is the ‘more money’ coming from?

I read what you say about the 2x relegated clubs, but are you saying relegate then to the amateur game, given that would be the next step down in a two division set up?

I am not going to use the word elite, because in my eyes all clubs are equal, one could not survive without the other, i am using 1st and 2nd division, as an example i remember wigan playing in the 2nd division, yes really. It would be left to the club if they wanted full or part time or a mixture of both. Money , champ and league 1 clubs have been surviving on a pittance for long enough.  more money for?  I put, bottom 2 cubs in the new division 2 relegated, if there were a club available and fancied a crack at division 2,[ amateur if you like], let them have  go, ground being suitable. As we are going clubs will keep folding, There will not be enough teams for a top six play off. Just my opinion, i would be interested to look at other views at what is best for the game. p.s. going back to the bottom 2 division 2 clubs, if there wasn't a club to come up they would stay in the division. 

41 minutes ago, ben said:

I am not going to use the word elite, because in my eyes all clubs are equal, one could not survive without the other, i am using 1st and 2nd division, as an example i remember wigan playing in the 2nd division, yes really. It would be left to the club if they wanted full or part time or a mixture of both. Money , champ and league 1 clubs have been surviving on a pittance for long enough.  more money for?  I put, bottom 2 cubs in the new division 2 relegated, if there were a club available and fancied a crack at division 2,[ amateur if you like], let them have  go, ground being suitable. As we are going clubs will keep folding, There will not be enough teams for a top six play off. Just my opinion, i would be interested to look at other views at what is best for the game. p.s. going back to the bottom 2 division 2 clubs, if there wasn't a club to come up they would stay in the division. 

That's essentially what we had in various forms pre-Super League. How much money was coming in then? If you go to a scenario where clubs can choose F/T or P/T, the F/T clubs will naturally rise to the top (a 'Super League', if you will), and the P/T clubs would end up in the bottom echelon (it could be called 'the Championship'). In the meantime, no one will pay to televise the ensuing carnage that would occur with regular F/T vs P/T matches. The game would simply wither and die. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, philipw said:

That's essentially what we had in various forms pre-Super League. How much money was coming in then? If you go to a scenario where clubs can choose F/T or P/T, the F/T clubs will naturally rise to the top (a 'Super League', if you will), and the P/T clubs would end up in the bottom echelon (it could be called 'the Championship'). In the meantime, no one will pay to televise the ensuing carnage that would occur with regular F/T vs P/T matches. The game would simply wither and die. 

Pr-Super League the structures attempted to sustain all clubs. Now the structure only attempts to sustain the 12 clubs in the elite league, and leaves the rest to fend for themselves. Only supporters of SL clubs probably think that this is just and fair.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, saints10coach said:

Pr-Super League the structures attempted to sustain all clubs. Now the structure only attempts to sustain the 12 clubs in the elite league, and leaves the rest to fend for themselves. Only supporters of SL clubs probably think that this is just and fair.

Pre-SL and Sky the central distribution was minimal - levelling down for all. Where might we be if that hadn't changed?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Pre-SL and Sky the central distribution was minimal - levelling down for all. Where might we be if that hadn't changed?

Only Wigan were full time at that time. Would they have been able to sustain that, or would other clubs eventually try to emulate them? Remembering the product then, it was not worse to watch, I would even say it was better, as it was not as robotic, as the game has become now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, saints10coach said:

Only Wigan were full time at that time. Would they have been able to sustain that, or would other clubs eventually try to emulate them? Remembering the product then, it was not worse to watch, I would even say it was better, as it was not as robotic, as the game has become now.

The game was absolutely skint!

By robotic I think you mean quicker and more athletic. I also miss the sight of players stubbing their fags out on their boots as they came out for the second half.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, Happyed said:

Talk of SL amateur clubs entering league  s*** idea, not happy with that 

There is often an assumption that amateur clubs would automatically want to join the league but it is completely wrong. There are many players who could easily step up but much prefer to play for their community amateur club: it involves less commitment, more family and social time, less travelling and possibly much greater enjoyment.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

I believe the latest date the RFL will issue their verdict is tomorrow. 
they

clubs need to know what is happening so they can get season tickets on sale, conclude shirt production (for the team and reproduction) 

I'm convinced they're leaving it as long as possible so there's no chance of merging the leagues. The longer it rumbles on the easier it is for the RFL to not have to make a decision.

I full expect we will all play each other 3 times meaning 21 league games (24 if Newcastle participate) and an earlier/extended 1895 cup. Will be interesting to see if there's any decision on 2025 onwards at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I'm convinced they're leaving it as long as possible so there's no chance of merging the leagues. The longer it rumbles on the easier it is for the RFL to not have to make a decision.

I full expect we will all play each other 3 times meaning 21 league games (24 if Newcastle participate) and an earlier/extended 1895 cup. Will be interesting to see if there's any decision on 2025 onwards at the same time. 

I agree, I think that will be the format 

5 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I saw something last night saying that a decision would be made soon. 

Why can't they just say that they'll be no merger between championship and league one for next season. 

There will be no merger of the leagues in 2024. It is likely that 2025 will see some changes, however, which are likely to be decided in detail next year.

Currently the format on the 1895 Cup is being finalised which might well mean two extra home fixtures for C1 clubs early in the year. I believe that this competition could begin in the last week of January. Summer RL, don't you love it?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, weighman said:

Surely clubs going into the 2024 season should know the format for 2025.

Dont get ahead of yourself. They dont know the format for 2024 yet. First things first.

Best we can hope for given the clowns we have running the game is that all clubs will know the format for 2024 going into the 2025 season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4