Newcastle Thunder

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

Is it basically down to money?  £120k? Given the massive crowds United get, if only their fans could spare a contribution from time to time. 

The owners could invest as it's peanuts but I wonder if anyone has approached the cartel.

6 hours ago, Colin James said:

Is the owner still listed as a director? 

Keith Christie and Janice Neighbour are listed as directors.  The company, formed 14 years ago, not 23 as advertised above, was over £3.4m in debt, according to their last accounts.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 minutes ago, Limmertime said:

nothing against Newcastle, but wonder what RFL make of their IMG rating - 18th and now struggling to start 2024 - doesn't say much for clubs below them!

But they were allowed to have an Academy.

3 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Wouldn't the bond only be needed for a new club?

The existing club hasn't folded, this is people trying to take over the running of the current club that has existed for 23 years.

The bond belongs to the current owner, so I imagine he will want it back - meaning fresh owners will have to provide their own bond.

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Keith Christie and Janice Neighbour are listed as directors.  The company, formed 14 years ago, not 23 as advertised above, was over £3.4m in debt, according to their last accounts.

The club was founded 23 years ago (as Gateshead Thunder) by fans who objected to their pervious club, Gateshead Thunder (1999), merging with Hull FC.

The company that currently administers the club may well have been former 14 years ago and taken over the running of it then.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The bond belongs to the current owner, so I imagine he will want it back - meaning fresh owners will have to provide their own bond.

Was a bond required when they entered the league system?

I thought it was a more recent requirement than that.

I assume that when the RFL started requiring a bond for new clubs they didn't go to all of the existing clubs asking them for one too.

Edited by Barley Mow

47 minutes ago, Griff said:

But they were allowed to have an Academy.

I think that sums it up,.... 'allowed' why should need permission to run academy teams....Salford, ranked 8th were not allowed, but Thunder were.

My view, if a club wants an academy and can afford it, let them have it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Limmertime said:

I think that sums it up,.... 'allowed' why should need permission to run academy teams....Salford, ranked 8th were not allowed, but Thunder were.

I have always wondered why clubs just don't set one up anyway and play other age group sides. Not sure what the RFL has to do with it.

Just now, Leonard said:

I have always wondered why clubs just don't set one up anyway and play other age group sides. Not sure what the RFL has to do with it.

Do they not need to issue a 'licence' as they would still be playing under the RFL operational rules, using their referees etc?

2 hours ago, Limmertime said:

I can't get my head around why clubs are prevented from having an academy. It is things like this this that hold the game back. Lets get as many kids as possible into the pro set up and see if to reaps further rewards.

Hey but, thinking about to, maybe better to spend money on an LED advertising board!

Only In Rugby League in the UK!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

Sorry if posted elsewhere - will there be an option to contribute?

I used to pay monthly to Widnes after their last issues until the relevant supporter scheme was wound up.

Thank you.

The main talk on funding was a membership option where you pay monthly. They wanted to get an idea of pledges and the feedback in the room was for a tiered membership package which was going to be looked at. 

Once something concrete is announced I'll post it on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

I can't get my head around why clubs are prevented from having an academy. It is things like this this that hold the game back. Lets get as many kids as possible into the pro set up and see if to reaps further rewards.

Hey but, thinking about to, maybe better to spend money on an LED advertising board!

Only In Rugby League in the UK!

There should be minimum standards for an academy, we are talking about teenagers here who need to be looked after and coached in suitable and safeguarded manner.

What those minimum standards are is certainly up for debate.  

But if a club can't meet those standards or choose not to run an academy that should be held against a club for minimum standards purposes. 

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

There should be minimum standards for an academy, we are talking about teenagers here who need to be looked after and coached in suitable and safeguarded manner.

What those minimum standards are is certainly up for debate.  

But if a club can't meet those standards or choose not to run an academy that should be held against a club for minimum standards purposes. 

I was curious as to what is to stop a side setting up age groups in the same way any amateur side might do and run those against similar sides? Albeit not necessarily against other 'academy' sides. 

On 24/10/2023 at 21:12, Anita Bath said:

Is there anything resembling a stadium there? Or would it be a training base only?

Team Northumbria FC, former members of the Northern Alliance then, until 2018, the Northern League, play at Coach Lane. Their ground (surrounded by several other pitches) has a stand and the pitch is partly railed.

Edited by Hopping Mad

I wish the newcy fans all the best in their efforts and hope a solution can be found but we do seem to be at risk of a downward spiral on what are acceptable standards. As teams struggle to survive they move to less costly facilites which then become a norm for other struggling clubs. Not sure where it all ends.

39 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

I wish the newcy fans all the best in their efforts and hope a solution can be found but we do seem to be at risk of a downward spiral on what are acceptable standards. As teams struggle to survive they move to less costly facilites which then become a norm for other struggling clubs. Not sure where it all ends.

I share your opinion. But am glad to see Oldham moving back to Boundary Park next year, Midlands moving into the actual Alexander Stadium and hopefully North Wales getting to play a full season at the Eirias Stadium next year. These are all steps in the right direction.

As far as Newcastle are concerned, I would let them concentrate on saving the club first. There are lots of non-league football grounds within a short distance of Newcastle that would meet the L1 standards, there should be something suitable available if Coach Lane isn't up to it.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

As far as Newcastle are concerned, I would let them concentrate on saving the club first. There are lots of non-league football grounds within a short distance of Newcastle that would meet the L1 standards, there should be something suitable available if Coach Lane isn't up to it.

But are they long enough ?   Which is usually the issue.

12 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

True - It is also often an issue that is ignored where considered expedient!

Is Thunder sharing one of the Newcastle area's RU grounds out of the question? The likes of Blaydon, Gateshead and Percy Park (Tynemouth) have much better facilities (including a proper stand) than Coach Lane - and their pitches are designed for 'rugby'.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Is Thunder sharing one of the Newcastle area's RU grounds out of the question? The likes, say, of Blaydon, Gateshead and Percy Park (Tynemouth) have much better facilities (including a proper stand) than Coach Lane - and their pitches are designed for 'rugby'.

They aren't grounds I know, but possibly - if they're up to standard.

22 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Is Thunder sharing one of the Newcastle area's RU grounds out of the question? The likes of Blaydon, Gateshead and Percy Park (Tynemouth) have much better facilities (including a proper stand) than Coach Lane - and their pitches are designed for 'rugby'.

They have used a rugby union club stadium in the past.Forget which one.

I was interested to find this - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/rugby-league/gateshead-thunder-new-grounds-hope-1366011

Since then,that soccer club was taken over and improved on and off the field.Helped by the opportunity of promotion being available and attendances increasing.

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

Nostalgia,history and heritage can be mentioned - to accompany a name change

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields_(rugby_league)#:~:text=South Shields were founded in,for the 1902–03 season.

Be good as the name Newcastle is now synonymous with Saudi and the despotic regime - South Shields known for the long history of the first Muslims in England,from The Yemen,the people snd country recently massacred by Saudi.

( Best not mention which country made the weapons of mass destruction )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields#:~:text=South Shields has been home,in Hull%2C Liverpool and Cardiff.

South Shields Thunder.

The owner of the soccer club recently publicly stated he is selling the club due to illness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

52 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

True - It is also often an issue that is ignored where considered expedient!

It wasn't ignored for Sheffield.   They had a number of options rejected when they were on their travels.

Just saying.

• Like 1

When Gateshead Thunder visited the Racecourse in our first season as North Wales Crusaders, 2012, our then CEO somewhat ungraciously offered a full refund for the hospitality boxes if we lost. Thunder were on a two year losing streak at the time.

Right in the middle of the Crusaders fans, there were two Thunder fans who sang and chanted at the top of their voices. After about half an hour they stopped for a rest and the 1,000 or so Crusaders fans who had been sitting in silence listening to them, burst into applause. One of my favourite moments watching this game, and the inspiration for the support we give our team today.

I know it's inconvenient waiting to find out what kind of league we will have next year and how many teams are going to be in it (lets face it we are used to it at this level), but I really hope it includes a team from the north east.

Come on Thunder!

• Like 7

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/