Sun 5th Nov: Wheelchair International: England v France KO 3.15pm @ First Direct Arena, Leeds (BBC Two)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England
    • France

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/23 at 15:45

9 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I would imagine there wouldn't be space for any more than 3k. Even in the corners that were open, there was a limited view of one of the corners. It was a really good crowd and quite a different demographic from other forms of the game.

Without the kind of custom-built arenas that the NBA have for basketball, attendances are always going to be limited by the venue, which is usually a municipal sports hall that isn't set up for paying customers, raked tiers of seating etc.

That's why streaming/broadcast is something that the wheelchair version of the game needs to make work, because that's where the overwhelming majority of fans will be.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Without the kind of custom-built arenas that the NBA have for basketball, attendances are always going to be limited by the venue, which is usually a municipal sports hall that isn't set up for paying customers, raked tiers of seating etc.

That's why streaming/broadcast is something that the wheelchair version of the game needs to make work, because that's where the overwhelming majority of fans will be.

Interestingly, another 500 or so on today's attendance would have felt pretty much full and would also come across really well to the TV audience. In creating a sell-out, you also create an additional TV market. I have great hopes for Wheelchair RL going forward as is it such an accessible and enjoyable sport to watch, either live or on TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

Interestingly, another 500 or so on today's attendance would have felt pretty much full and would also come across really well to the TV audience. In creating a sell-out, you also create an additional TV market. I have great hopes for Wheelchair RL going forward as is it such an accessible and enjoyable sport to watch, either live or on TV.

I barely noticed the spectators, to be honest. If there had been a few hundred more, I'm not sure I'd have registered it.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Even if the seats in the corners were obstructed views, there are the seats behind the corporate suites/boxes that were behind curtains. This game, admittedly as part of a World Cup, also got 4526 in Manchester Arena last year.

Hopefully next time we can play them again at both those venues with the same or better crowds, anywhere in London suitable to make it a 3 match series?

5 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Even if the seats in the corners were obstructed views, there are the seats behind the corporate suites/boxes that were behind curtains. This game, admittedly as part of a World Cup, also got 4526 in Manchester Arena last year.

Hopefully next time we can play them again at both those venues with the same or better crowds, anywhere in London suitable to make it a 3 match series?

The difference here is that the seats didn’t stretch round the whole pitch, unlike the other venues. It was a long way from the pitch at the back of the seats available; or at least, I wouldn’t want to be any further back. The Manchester Central venue and setup was better, IMO. 

The Copperbox was a really good option in London for the World Cup openers last year. 

Edited by Northern Eel

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

watched Leeds Rhinos Netball team at the Arena, they got over 4000 fans (around 4500).  Similar set up with audience on one side... Limit was 5000 fans.

Same setup as I say so possibility was up to 5000.   I noted at the wheelchair they didn't have the lower levels which had black curtains over. I guess that was dependent on number of tickets sold.

Never-the-less a good number of fans at the wheelchair.

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

The difference here is that the seats didn’t stretch round the whole pitch, unlike the other venues. It was a long way from the pitch at the back of the seats available; or at least, I wouldn’t want to be any further back. The Manchester Central venue and setup was better, IMO. 

The Copperbox was a really good option in London for the World Cup openers last year. 

As I say earlier the potential capacity for the game was 5000 seats. Half of which in this game were covered over.   Plus the seats normally go around on one side behind the sticks so to speak.

Going off on a tangent - When I went to the netball with 4500 fans or so it was a really buzzing atmosphere and loud cheering - maybe because the game went to the last second with Leeds winning by 1 point scoring with a couple of secs to go and the having to hold on with the other team attacking.

Never realised Netball could be so good and exciting...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

As I say earlier the potential capacity for the game was 5000 seats. Half of which in this game were covered over.   Plus the seats normally go around on one side behind the sticks so to speak.

Going off on a tangent - When I went to the netball with 4500 fans or so it was a really buzzing atmosphere and loud cheering - maybe because the game went to the last second with Leeds winning by 1 point scoring with a couple of secs to go and the having to hold on with the other team attacking.

Never realised Netball could be so good and exciting...

Sky Sports regularly show Netball free on their YouTube channel. The standard is amazing and it's great entertainment. Internationally, like Rugby and Cricket, it is a bit Commonwealth-heavy, so it hasn't got Olympic acceptance yet.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, redjonn said:

watched Leeds Rhinos Netball team at the Arena, they got over 4000 fans (around 4500).  Similar set up with audience on one side... Limit was 5000 fans.

Same setup as I say so possibility was up to 5000.   I noted at the wheelchair they didn't have the lower levels which had black curtains over. I guess that was dependent on number of tickets sold.

Originally my ticket was for the lower tier but it all got moved due to tv broadcast configuration, it would probably have been better had the lower seats been used as it did make the crowd look a fair way from the pitch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, redjonn said:

No, there simply wasn’t room to have a lower level. You couldn’t even see the whole pitch from the top level corners as it was so tight. A netball pitch is 30x15m whereas the RL pitch is 48x20 (plus in goal and run-off in addition)

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1

I admit I don't notice there were empty seats, or that some were obscured, or that the game should have been played elsewhere at another time. What I did see was a French side that played better, more skillfully than our crash-bang-wallop and indisciplined squad.  

• Like 4

I think it is a venue worth persisting with, as long as a few little configuration changes can be made with seating. Obscured seats weren't sold as being so. The atmosphere was generally very good and seems to have come across well on tv too.

Transport-wise, we made it back home to Notts l- door to door - less than 2 hours after the final whistle, letting the train take the strain. The venue is well-positioned about 15 mins walk from the station, but, at £8.50 a pint (and £5.40 for a glass of coke) I will be sneaking some stuff in next time as a round for a family of 4 would be costing £2.20 less than the whole cost of the tickets!

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the game and set up.  I did find the atmosphere a bit different - I thought it was very weird to be in virtual  silence for the conversion attempts for England and jeering for the French.    I know a bit of jeering happens at "normal" games, but not the level of silence yesterday.  My niece got shushed at once point, admittedly by her dad 😉

I know there's debate elsewhere happening about able bodies players playing - I do think there is a debate to be had, but I doubt without them the sport wouldn't have got off the ground and had the exposure, some sort of phasing out in the future would be my preference

Oh and I hate the roads getting out of the city in Leeds think I did a lap or two before getting on the right one 😄

• Like 1

Fair amount of credit to whoever organised this. I was expecting that having had a real breakthrough with the world cup last year that we would revert to type and either not play any internationals at all, or arrange one at a week's notice on a Tuesday in Goole municipal sports hall or something. 

• Like 3