'Gen Z' Engagement...

10 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

If you call KSI, Logan Paul, Tommy Fury etc, Boxing, you may as well call the school sports day 100m, elite level Athletics.

Does the school sports day pull in several hundred millions of dollars in revenue like 'influencer/crossover boxing' does?

I think the whole scene is nonsense too, but I'm not Gen Z. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I know the NRL are venturing into the USA but I feel that the RFL reaching out to the the NFL to form a partnership could be mutually beneficial. The NFL would be able to utilise (the apparent) higher levels of rugby league engagement in the UK as well as being able to put down roots in parts of the UK that they could explore which they may not have considered. The RFL would gain from the juggernaut that is the NFL in terms of marketing and exposure and we might get a bigger US audience.

I'm not sure suggesting to the NFL that they could use the M62 as a bridgehead to making NFL really popular in the north of England is necessarily a compelling proposition for them, and if it did come off it's almost the definition of not being careful what you wish for! 

Gut feel however is very much 'what on earth is in it for them?'

1 minute ago, Ackroman said:

All we need to know about Gen Z engaging in sport is how many reels and tiktok videos they watch, for free, in their darkened bedrooms.

Again, I'm not sure being dismissive of an entire generation with a relatively decent disposable income would be a wise strategy for the sport to take... 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I'm not sure suggesting to the NFL that they could use the M62 as a bridgehead to making NFL really popular in the north of England is necessarily a compelling proposition for them, and if it did come off it's almost the definition of not being careful what you wish for! 

They could sell loads of New Orleans jerseys in St Helens, LA in Dewsbury, Phili in Sheffield and so on. It might make the NFL massive. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

The only thing I'm certain they've got right, is that football is at the top of both lists. And they wouldn't have needed to do any research to reach that conclusion.

As for the rest, as always, the devil is in the detail.

Depending on how you're measuring things, you could probably produce 100 of these lists, with a different result every time.

It's clear to me, however, that if we're going to boost rugby leagues popularity amongst Gen Z's, it should be played on bicycles, using a giant shuttlecock instead of a ball, with a hoop at either end instead of posts, and with a lot more punch ups.

Whilst vaping.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Does the school sports day pull in several hundred millions of dollars in revenue like 'influencer/crossover boxing' does?

I think the whole scene is nonsense too, but I'm not Gen Z. 

So by your definition, US presidential campaigns are also Boxing?

I'm not disputing it's popularity or existence, I'd just call it something closer to WWE than Boxing.

Edited by sam4731

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

I know the NRL are venturing into the USA but I feel that the RFL reaching out to the the NFL to form a partnership could be mutually beneficial. The NFL would be able to utilise (the apparent) higher levels of rugby league engagement in the UK as well as being able to put down roots in parts of the UK that they could explore which they may not have considered. The RFL would gain from the juggernaut that is the NFL in terms of marketing and exposure and we might get a bigger US audience.

Utilise how? The NFL are more likely to help the UK get a team into the European league as it's the same sport and help that pave the way to develop a base to host a UK NFL side.(something I think Germany are ahead on)

28 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I'd say Leeds and Manchester could be good strategic development areas for them outside London. Also we already have crossovers playing at Wembley so there is a potential link up there.

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm also enjoying seeing the classic - which we're all guilty of - of shoehorning it to fit the things we don't like that if only they were changed everyone would immediately follow it.

Apparently, "inconsistent application of the rules" is the problem.

RL would be top 5 in both categories if we had better pitch markings and the ball was played consistently with the foot.

• Haha 7

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Born in 1987, so I'm considered a Millenial, or Gen Y... 

I am a member of The Greatest Generation.

Not technically, more self anointed. 

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I'd say Leeds and Manchester could be good strategic development areas for them outside London. Also we already have crossovers playing at Wembley so there is a potential link up there.

The NFL isn't looking to develop outside of london. The reason is the target is Europe not the UK. Better flights to London from Europe and Eurostar. If you move the focus 4 hours from London you cut out the European market for travelling fans.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In terms of engagement?

On life support.

Yet we see Jumping and Badminton... I can't go anywhere without someone banging on about shuttlecock weight..!

As with everything else, i'd love to see the working out..

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I downloaded it. It seems as though the definition of engagement is:

anyone who has watched/followed, participated or attended that sport within the last 12 months

Rugby League potentially benefitting from the World Cup in those figures.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Yet we see Jumping and Badminton... I can't go anywhere without someone banging on about shuttlecock weight..!

As with everything else, i'd love to see the working out..

No idea. But just because it doesn't match my experience doesn't make it wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)