Boxing day fixtures

10 minutes ago, casrhino said:

Keighley playing Oldham on Boxing day.Bad enough professional players in super league doing it but div 1 players ,nice of the club ruining the christmas period for the players.Whats wrong playing on saturday the 30th,keep players happy.

I presume the players have told you that they're not happy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, casrhino said:

Austin when at Leeds said so ,am sure amature players think the same.

That's a no then.

IMO most players play because they enjoy playing. This will be an opportunity to do that with their friends and families in attendance. 

I'm would expect that if players have other commitments they wouldn't be expected to play.

I really can't see a problem.

2 minutes ago, Dovster said:

That's a no then.

IMO most players play because they enjoy playing. This will be an opportunity to do that with their friends and families in attendance. 

I'm would expect that if players have other commitments they wouldn't be expected to play.

I really can't see a problem.

So your playing then.

18 minutes ago, Dovster said:

No too old I'm affraid. I will definitely be there supporting though.

I presume you have refused to play.

ha ha ha ha ,last time i was near a pitch was when i ran the touch line (football) for my ships team in Malta in 1973.

• Haha 3

If Blake Austin was surprised that Leeds had a game on Boxing Day then he can only really blame his (lack of) own due diligence. Although I imagine it would  have been a quickly forgotten concern if he'd been offered a new contract.

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Massive lack of respect for the players.

These Boxing Day matches need to be stamped out.

Disrespectful why...? Senior players get paid decent money and asking them to play a game in the middle of pre-season is hardly disrespectful. For the more junior players who get picked in these games it's a massive opportunity and they would be thrilled to be picked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, casrhino said:

Austin when at Leeds said so ,am sure amature players think the same.

Blake Austin said a few things. He's currently off back to Australia with no club 😉

I've seen a few people say that Leeds should let players have families wit their Christmas and bin the Boxing Day fixture off, the thing is especially with Leeds it will be the best attended Pre Season Friendly and creates quite a bit of revenue, it's not going to be binned.

They are professional Althetes and as harsh as it sounds they will have to make sacrifices on stuff like this. I'm sure there will be lots of people working in hospital;ity and retail that won't have much sympathy for the players.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Griff said:

Massive lack of respect for the players.

These Boxing Day matches need to be stamped out.

How is it a lack of respect?,

Boxing Day games have been played throughout the sports history, if you sign a professional contract and you don't realise you might have to play on Boxing Day then, I'd say tough.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, M j M said:

If Blake Austin was surprised that Leeds had a game on Boxing Day then he can only really blame his (lack of) own due diligence. Although I imagine it would  have been a quickly forgotten concern if he'd been offered a new contract.

he also seemed surprised he had to play in a game against NZ which was planned 8 months before.

Never been a fan of boxing day games since the game moved to summer. They are nothing but a money making exercise and just strike me as small time. Our elite clubs should be above that and should be focusing on the conditioning and performance of their players and being ready for the new season.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

How is it a lack of respect?,

Boxing Day games have been played throughout the sports history, if you sign a professional contract and you don't realise you might have to play on Boxing Day then, I'd say tough.

Sure - we used to play Christmas Day, Boxing Day and the day after if it was a Saturday.

But we're supposed to be more mindful of player welfare these days.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Love the Boxing Day Heavy Woollen Derby – the true meaning of Christmas.

Getting up with a hangover, drinking keg Tetleys at 11am and the smell of cheap after shave in the air. Trying to work out who all out new signings are while they're caked head to toe in mud. Magic.

For Dewsbury and Batley it's usually the biggest money-spinner of the season - crowds of 2,000 or 3,000 (announced as half that, natch) which are much bigger than we get for the actual league fixtures. Just a pity we usually lose them..

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Well it has been part of Leeds Pre Season friendlies ever since the switch to Summer RL.

Yeah most clubs went down the money grabbing route initially and kept kept them going with the switch. Most also stopped them rather quickly because they aren't a good idea.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It's part of the preseason games, should we stop them swell?

Let's not mince words.  These are shameless fundraisers.

Though why the public turn up to these games is beyond me.   They wouldn't give them the time of day at any other time of the year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Love the Boxing Day Heavy Woollen Derby – the true meaning of Christmas.

Getting up with a hangover, drinking keg Tetleys at 11am and the smell of cheap after shave in the air. Trying to work out who all out new signings are while they're caked head to toe in mud. Magic.

For Dewsbury and Batley it's usually the biggest money-spinner of the season - crowds of 2,000 or 3,000 (announced as half that, natch) which are much bigger than we get for the actual league fixtures. Just a pity we usually lose them..

Maybe have a look at your lifestyle before it's too late.

• Haha 2