Cornwall - how long do you give them?

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

It is very difficult for Cornwall to get players good enough to compete with no Rugby League in the area. So any northern based players would have to move down there with all the difficulties that brings. But they showed some improvement last season so good luck to them.

I see what you're saying in terms of northern-based players, but for the time being I'd imagine tapping into the general rugby culture across the county could yield rewards in terms of unearthing some real talent. I suppose then if things expanded, you could then look at Cornwall as an attractive place to go to ply your trade, similar to Catalans (admittedly there's a lot of work to do but I don't see any reason why not if things are done well).

Sad news they're not in the cup either, I wasn't aware of that until reading this thread.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Crowds are decent from memory 

Crowds are very good - averaging over 1k per match and lots of work being done in the local business community to raise sponsorship and commercial income too.

They have sponsorship from the biggest brewery in the county and from the airline flying into Newquay from Manchester etc. The building blocks are being put in place re. community too. Having experienced it first hand at other more established/historical names in L1, Cornwall are far more active and engaged and you can see why they are getting 1k rather than 250.

The new community Truro FC stadium looks like it's going to get the green light to be built pretty sharpish next year and that would make it a great small little ground, perfect for L1/Championship. The club have already stated they would like to play there if a deal can be done. Plus its right in the centre of the county, just off the a30, so would be easy to get to and close enough to make use of the city bus services.  Lots of positives there in terms of attracting people to go. By contrast, going to watch the Pirates would be another 30mins or so down the road or to go up to Plymouth/Exeter for other sports would be 1.30hrs away.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coco said:

I don't understand how clubs like these could of survived. They receive no money from the RFL and Super League to survive. They also do not engage with BARLA.  I am just happy that clubs, like Bradford, Halifax are still surviving. 

Cornwall are putting immense efforts into raising awareness through schools and the wider communities. Noticeably the business community and are raising solid sponsorships with businesses in the county. That along with pretty solid marketing (and remarketing) techniques mean they are doing well at selling tickets to people and long may that continue. That is how they are managing to raise crowds of 1k+.

Not sure what BARLA can do/offer - can you elaborate?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tiffers said:

Cornwall are putting immense efforts into raising awareness through schools and the wider communities. Noticeably the business community and are raising solid sponsorships with businesses in the county. That along with pretty solid marketing (and remarketing) techniques mean they are doing well at selling tickets to people and long may that continue. That is how they are managing to raise crowds of 1k+.

Not sure what BARLA can do/offer - can you elaborate?

Hi mate, have crowds in the second season still been at 1k plus? As they haven’t been announcing them I haven’t seen any figures. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Hi mate, have crowds in the second season still been at 1k plus? As they haven’t been announcing them I haven’t seen any figures. Thanks. 

The club announced at the end of the season that they had averages over 1k per game last season too. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. Perhaps a social media post from the club...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FileyBulldog said:

Then pay attention to what you are giving emoji reaction to pal

Well, thanks for explaining.   Eventually.  After some prompting.

I don't see what Batley's morals have to do with anything.   It's been made quite clear that the objjections came from the League One clubs.

But you must do what you think fit.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Griff said:

I don't see what Batley's morals have to do with anything.   It's been made quite clear that the objjections came from the League One clubs.

I don't agree with any club being bullied out of competing in the cup regardless of what they are from so I will not being following the tournament this season, even if Batley repeat last seasons final visit.

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

League 1 clubs that won't be travelling away in the 1895 Cup and have already agreed to loop fixtures including Cornwall in their own comp?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

League 1 clubs that won't be travelling away in the 1895 Cup and have already agreed to loop fixtures including Cornwall in their own comp?

I couldn't understand that either.

3 minutes ago, FileyBulldog said:

I don't agree with any club being bullied out of competing in the cup regardless of what they are from so I will not being following the tournament this season, even if Batley repeat last seasons final visit.

Whatever makes you happy.

2 hours ago, Expatknight said:

The RFL should be embarrassed by the way Cornwall have been treated re the 1895 cup it is pretty shabby but no more than I would expect. 

Whats annoying is they are using the travel costs as an excuse, when its not entirely true. The RFL wouldnt need to help clubs with all the travel, realistically they could subsidise so the costs levelled up with travelling to Yorkshire/Lancashire etc. So look at my club Workington, lets say it costs £2500 for match day travel to Keighley, then the travel to Cornwall should take that kind of costs from Workington with a top up from the RFL to cover the difference. It wouldnt need a hug fund to cover it, it would be what, 2 or 3 matches in total (I think). Its just more short sighted nonsense.

It beggars belief that they often seem to be more interested in hindering their clubs than helping.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, FileyBulldog said:

Sorry that you have no morals

This account is banned. Don't respond as you'll be shouting into the wind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

23 minutes ago, ckn said:

This account is banned. Don't respond as you'll be shouting into the wind.

Impressive. He only joined up on Saturday.

Edited by Griff
  • Haha 3

On 15/11/2023 at 12:01, tiffers said:

The club announced at the end of the season that they had averages over 1k per game last season too. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. Perhaps a social media post from the club...

Not saying you are wrong tiffers about the Cornwalls home crowds last season, but the crowd certainly looked a lot down when you played my team last season compared to the one before, in which the crowd seemed to be double the 2023 season of home supporters. 

On 15/11/2023 at 09:29, tiffers said:

The new community Truro FC stadium looks like it's going to get the green light to be built pretty sharpish next year 

I grew up in Plymouth and I remember hearing about the stadium for Cornwall /Truro city ground has been talked about for easily 20years. Even had CGI displays on BBC spotlight etc. still nowhere closer to being built.

27 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

I grew up in Plymouth and I remember hearing about the stadium for Cornwall /Truro city ground has been talked about for easily 20years. Even had CGI displays on BBC spotlight etc. still nowhere closer to being built.

I believe the latest - far reduced capacity was in the planning agenda last week at the Council for approval. Truro FC need a basic pitch and stand to be able to play at home next season. Bearing in mind it was a council funded planning submission, to be discussed by the council planning team, you'd imagine it should get the nod.

Whether they can get it done in time is another Q.

52 minutes ago, tiffers said:

I believe the latest - far reduced capacity was in the planning agenda last week at the Council for approval. Truro FC need a basic pitch and stand to be able to play at home next season. Bearing in mind it was a council funded planning submission, to be discussed by the council planning team, you'd imagine it should get the nod.

Whether they can get it done in time is another Q.

Original idea was Cornish pirates aka Penzance newlyn would move there as the main tenant and Truro city would be secondary. Even Cornish sharks American football team under Brian Smallworth were in the running to use it 

On 14/11/2023 at 15:25, Coco said:

It just depends if they are financially sustainable on their own. Do they have a benefactor, or those investing in the club. Are BARLA in any way involved with them. They have the expertise on the infrastructure of the sport. Getting supporters through door and children participating all help and that's where BARLA are the best.  

BARLA !!! - the ###### All Rugby League Association - are they even relevant these days?

Should have been wound up years ago with the money returned the the relative leagues to use for their own development programme