Cornwall - how long do you give them?

39 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I have no idea how many clubs have shared facilities but to me it makes sense.  Even a season ticket/membership for both soccer and RL might just be a good way forward .  Good groundsman is essential!

There's not many examples of RL teams who've benefitted from shared facilities. I can think of loads of cases where the RL team ends up playing second fiddle to the other sports team. Wigan and Hull FC two of the biggest but there are others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

There's not many examples of RL teams who've benefitted from shared facilities. I can think of loads of cases where the RL team ends up playing second fiddle to the other sports team. Wigan and Hull FC two of the biggest but there are others. 

Second fiddle particularly the case where one entity own the ground and the other are that clubs tenants. They will need a water tight long term lease to minimise risks. If they want to know more about the pitfalls talk to Rochdale Hornets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

There's not many examples of RL teams who've benefitted from shared facilities.

There's a very small number of semi pro or pro rugby league clubs who'd exist without them though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

In this instance both Truro and Cornwall will be owned by the same person.  Hull and Hull City aren’t but don’t know about Wigan or the proposed Sheffield arrangement.

50 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

In this instance both Truro and Cornwall will be owned by the same person.  Hull and Hull City aren’t but don’t know about Wigan or the proposed Sheffield arrangement.

Single owner at Wigan.  Single owner is not always a guarantee of equal treatment, Whelan previously at Wigan for example, although Nolan is completely different there and has the best interest of both clubs at heart.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yes, it's potentially a small step forward in terms of the ground, as there wasn't much scope for growth at Penryn. But the RL club isn't going to be the main focus of the ownership group any more and so we'll have to see what effect that has. I don't know how much they've put in each season up to now. 

So another Rugby area falls to Football.....YAWN or I'm I wrong.

Edited by EggFace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

So another Rugby area falls to Football.....YAWN or I'm I wrong.

Just because they haven't got a top flight team, it's still probably pretty wrong to assume it wasn't already a football area, just like every other area in the country.

34 minutes ago, Click said:

Just because they haven't got a top flight team, it's still probably pretty wrong to assume it wasn't already a football area, just like every other area in the country.

So Truo is like like Carlisle and Wrexham in regards to Sporting code.

17 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

This one will be an interesting dynamic as Truro City have the assets and the council buy-in to be already building the stadium. The new facilities are driven by the existing social capital that Truro City hold due to their stadium woes and longevity of existence.

Yet their average attendance is in the few hundreds. Whereas, Cornwall RLFC have zero tangible assets yet average 1k attendances. So its going to be an interesting relationship to see how this all unfolds and how you drive interest in both - if you are Perez.

Cornwall RLFC wouldn't have had the same social capital to get the council shelling out a couple of mil to support a stadium build. Its a really smart move to oust the Pirates from the deal (from a RL perspective). It leaves them out of the picture as far as where the public money is being spent, where the private money is being spent and down the road miles away from the largest population areas in an old deteriorating ground. They are looking for new ownership, with an uncertain future and will expend a lot of energy in having to resolve that. This is definitely a brilliant opportunity to establish RL in Cornwall for the long-run and weave its way into psyche of the public domain.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Which gives rise to potential for shifting costs from one team to the other…hence my comment on the importance of the lease being clear and I should have added transparent.

18 hours ago, EggFace said:

So Truo is like like Carlisle and Wrexham in regards to Sporting code.

Wrexham FC are getting regular 10.000 crowds at home games and probably have the best away support in their league too....on the flip side they priced out North Wales Crusaders in 2015 and unfortunately theres no way the Racecourse stadium will be shared with a RL team .....so no, Truro isn't anything like Wrexham

• Like 5