Midlands Hurricanes link/Partnership

The more I read about this club the more I like about it. Excellent initiative, great to see a really proactive approach to try to expand the reach of the club.

Dare I say it - is this a club outside the heartlands with a genuine chance of really making a success of it

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Yorky said:

The more I read about this club the more I like about it. Excellent initiative, great to see a really proactive approach to try to expand the reach of the club.

Dare I say it - is this a club outside the heartlands with a genuine chance of really making a success of it

Agreed, with one big if, will the Birmingham sporting public show any interest, despite the great stuff going on there. I really hope so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, with one big if, will the Birmingham sporting public show any interest, despite the great stuff going on there. I really hope so. 

That’s my worry - there’s a million people in Birmingham and even when they had one of the best RU sides in the country (Moseley), playing one of the others (Coventry) they struggled to bring many fans. I think the Mose record was 14000 in 1977 for the Sam Doble Memorial Match, but it was usually far below that. Even allowing for ‘amateur’ RU’s lack of interest in gates, I struggle with the idea that either code will/can take off there. But fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The best thing about it is that there are no down sides.

There is no cost to either club and they both gain from a bit pf publicity.

I'm partial to a day at a County Championship game so will go along despite the Yorkshire game not being included in the deal.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

The best thing about it is that there are no down sides.

There is no cost to either club and they both gain from a bit pf publicity.

I'm partial to a day at a County Championship game so will go along despite the Yorkshire game not being included in the deal.  

Oh yes absolutely no downsides to this arrangement. I meant in general really, correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t Midlands’ attendances often around the 200 mark last season? There’s a lot of hard work to do but like everyone else I hope they succeed, everything I hear about Midlands is positive. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yorky said:

Until the money runs out

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Oh yes absolutely no downsides to this arrangement. I meant in general really, correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t Midlands’ attendances often around the 200 mark last season? There’s a lot of hard work to do but like everyone else I hope they succeed, everything I hear about Midlands is positive. 

Yeah they weren't great overall but the temporary home wasn't popular and there wasn't much to shout about on the playing field for much of the season.

Moving into the main stadium should create a buzz locally and I expect there will be lots more initiatives like the above to tempt people to try watching the game.

It was also shown at the end of the season that, with decent investment in coaching and playing staff. a team worth turning up for is emerging.

Early days but there's a lot happening to turn the club into a long term success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1