Summer's on its way

On 14/12/2023 at 11:46, Griff said:

Earliest sunset is tonight - we can look forward to lighter evenings.

The days'll be drawing in soon...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, GURNER said:

still 3 more days to go chaps😬

To the shortest day yes but Griff's right, the earliest sunset has already passed.

Soon be light nights.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm starting a new job in the morning which I have to get up at 4.30am for and leave home at 5am so I can't wait for the mornings to start getting lighter, sooner the better for me. 

leave me a pint of semi skimmed and 2 strawberry yoghurts  please

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm starting a new job in the morning which I have to get up at 4.30am for and leave home at 5am so I can't wait for the mornings to start getting lighter, sooner the better for me. 

Good luck, HG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Good luck, HG.

First day was horrible. I was working my feathers off and was still miles behind getting all my work done. At one point I was seriously considering walking out but then towards the end of my shift the area manager showed up and told me I was working too hard and doing far more than I needed to. So today should be more relaxed now that I know I don't need to work as hard! 

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

First day was horrible. I was working my feathers off and was still miles behind getting all my work done. At one point I was seriously considering walking out but then towards the end of my shift the area manager showed up and told me I was working too hard and doing far more than I needed to. So today should be more relaxed now that I know I don't need to work as hard! 

So. How's life as a civil servant? 😄

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well done, your area manager - a thoughtful and sympathetic start by him/her.

Our daughter lives and works away from the family home (in university administration), so Mrs WWD and I speak to her by phone, usually every other evening.  On one occasion, she sounded really stressed and said work had been awful, with just too much to fit in to the time available.  She was a bit non-plussed when I asked her what her manager had said about prioritising the work load.  She hadn't spoken to her manager.

It prompted me to coin a simple phrase (or maybe I remembered it from somewhere else) -"Let your manager manage".  It's part of their job, of course.  I think it is always good advice whenever you might feel overwhelmed, not least of all because feeling stressed may impair the soundness of your judgement about priorities, including the delicate balance between the most urgent and the most important tasks; urgency and importance are not - or rather not necessarily - the same thing, something not everybody I dealt with in my working life necessarily understood.

Good luck with day two et seq.!

39 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Well done, your area manager - a thoughtful and sympathetic start by him/her.

Our daughter lives and works away from the family home (in university administration), so Mrs WWD and I speak to her by phone, usually every other evening.  On one occasion, she sounded really stressed and said work had been awful, with just too much to fit in to the time available.  She was a bit non-plussed when I asked her what her manager had said about prioritising the work load.  She hadn't spoken to her manager.

It prompted me to coin a simple phrase (or maybe I remembered it from somewhere else) -"Let your manager manage".  It's part of their job, of course.  I think it is always good advice whenever you might feel overwhelmed, not least of all because feeling stressed may impair the soundness of your judgement about priorities, including the delicate balance between the most urgent and the most important tasks; urgency and importance are not - or rather not necessarily - the same thing, something not everybody I dealt with in my working life necessarily understood.

Good luck with day two et seq.!

The shift was a lot better today. I did only what I now know I need to do and actually got finished a little early so just wandered round looking like I was working for half an hour! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The shift was a lot better today. I did only what I now know I need to do and actually got finished a little early so just wandered round looking like I was working for half an hour! 😁

Flap your wings and scare a few joggers?

Whilst holding a clip board, quacking to yourself.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 19/12/2023 at 22:02, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just a week to go to lighter mornings.   Hang in there!!

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Here's the science behind the Equation of Time - from the fella who lectured me on Physics at uni a good few years ago now, the late David Hughes.

https://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1989MNRAS.238.1529H&db_key=AST&page_ind=0&plate_select=NO&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_GIF&classic=YES

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Still going ok?

Yep, starting to settle in now. It's the same kind of work I've done for years which I can do with my eyes closed, standing on my head. I am just finding it incredibly boring and repetitive work at this new site, more so than any other site I've worked on before. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yep, starting to settle in now. It's the same kind of work I've done for years which I can do with my eyes closed, standing on my head. I am just finding it incredibly boring and repetitive work at this new site, more so than any other site I've worked on before. 

Is it a job where you can you wear headphones? Maybe podcasts or audiobooks or learning something new?

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it a job where you can you wear headphones? Maybe podcasts or audiobooks or learning something new?

Yeah, last couple of days I've been sticking random podcasts on. Even if I'm not really listening to them, it gives me a bit of company if nothing else.