The Hairnets ( Oldham A Team)

jroyales

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

He left the BBC after allegations of inappropriate behaviour.  As far as I remember no details of any investigation game out.  

He now works for the State of Mind charity and a number of sports channels. 

It's the first thing the new regime has done that I feel uncomfortable with. The allegations didn't sound great at the time, but as you have said, I don't recall any outcome being publicised. 

From wikipedia:

George Riley was suspended by the BBC in 2017. According to both The Times and The Guardian (April 21, 2019), George Riley resigned from BBC Radio 5 Live before an investigation was completed into allegations of sexual assault against him were made by at least eight women. The Times quotes then BBC Radio 5 Live Controller, Jonathan Wall, as saying that he will never work for the BBC again.

41 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Doesn't sound great but no investigation and no police case so give him a chance. I am sure he is aware that any indiscretion may entail a good "talking to" from the likes of Kopczak, Farnworth and Lawton etc.

There was an investigation - it would simply appear that the results were never publicised. 

It was at the time BBC were in overdrive investigating DJs etc. a lot of mud was being slung and the compensation culture was in full swing. No charges or anything so nothing is gained by raking up the mud. 

The interviews are superb, the commentary is highly professional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipw said:

There was an investigation - it would simply appear that the results were never publicised. 

They rarely are in cases like this, particularly when the individual is suspended and ultimately removed from the organisation. I’m with you on this one. It feels uncomfortable. In my view, it’s the first wrong step by the club in an otherwise flawless first year. No doubting his skills as a commentator and interviewer though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

It was at the time BBC were in overdrive investigating DJs etc. a lot of mud was being slung and the compensation culture was in full swing. No charges or anything so nothing is gained by raking up the mud. 

Compensation culture?

Wow 

Women reporting sexual harrasment is compensation culture?

1 hour ago, Roughyed Rats said:

They rarely are in cases like this, particularly when the individual is suspended and ultimately removed from the organisation. I’m with you on this one. It feels uncomfortable. In my view, it’s the first wrong step by the club in an otherwise flawless first year. No doubting his skills as a commentator and interviewer though.

Two ways at least to see it.

It's historic, he lost his career and reputation, but now is making his way back.

Or..

It's very uneasy for a new administration feeling its way and not very comfortable for the club investing time and money in community and the women's game.

Tend towards the latter.

• Like 2

Hi, I was always taught that there is always two sides to a story, I can tell you that bill and the board are aware of the full picture and left no stone unturned to find out what went on and George was hired immediately afterwards, I’m not privy to all that was discussed but I would like to think he will be very professional, I think we should trust the board as you say they have got very little wrong so far.

• Like 6

On 18/02/2024 at 19:37, Bedford Roughyed said:

Signing of the season is George Riley.

Have you "signed" him, or is he just freelancing for you? He's been our commentator at Fev for the last two seasons and has commentated on some of our games this season, including at Batley a couple of weeks ago, and Fev didn't have a game this weekend whilst for Fev's latest game he was on ourLeague duty I think. Not really bothered if he's switching to Oldham now and I think that's much nearer home for him, but just wondered if it was a permanent move to being your commentator.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Have you "signed" him, or is he just freelancing for you? He's been our commentator at Fev for the last two seasons and has commentated on some of our games this season, including at Batley a couple of weeks ago, and Fev didn't have a game this weekend whilst for Fev's latest game he was on ourLeague duty I think. Not really bothered if he's switching to Oldham now and I think that's much nearer home for him, but just wondered if it was a permanent move to being your commentator.

Not really sure to be honest. There’s been nothing announced by the club. He just appeared this weekend.

5 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Well that’s one way of describing women still trying to get equality in the workplace and calling out misogyny/ sexual harassment/ assaults…..

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Have you "signed" him, or is he just freelancing for you?

No idea... it was a joke.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 19/02/2024 at 07:19, Rochdale Roughyed said:

If I remember rightly, that was the last fixture between our great clubs at The Athletic Grounds (now Morrison's). I have memories of Mick Worrall being sent off near to the end but time plays tricks and maybe i'm confused. I have a programme somewhere......again, maybe i'm confused!

You are right about it being the Athletics Grounds committal to history. Cant help you with the dismissal though…if it was near the end I would have been well on my way home by then. Whenever the opposition get within 4 points of 50 I get home as quick as I can and have a lie down in a darkened room.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

You are right about it being the Athletics Grounds committal to history. Cant help you with the dismissal though…if it was near the end I would have been well on my way home by then. Whenever the opposition get within 4 points of 50 I get home as quick as I can and have a lie down in a darkened room.

Remember it....just.

It was the only time I have seen a bar literally drunk dry.

Everything had to go and it did.

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Consultancy role apparently https://roughyeds.co.uk/2024/02/oldham-bring-in-media-consultant/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JamieHolls said:

For what it’s worth. George brings in a wealth of journalism knowledge and he speaks very well. The interviews and commentary were fantastic and complimented the great work that the socials guy, Kasey already does.

Give the guy a chance, he’s not been charged with anything and he’s innocent as far as he’s concerned. It’s a fantastic appointment.

Club is moving forward, although I would like to see those who have been helping and working with the club for a few years, to be respected and looked after. Espescially our Roger, Murgy, Naylor - these guys have put a lot of time into this club. 

Ah well that’s ok then, as long as he says he’s innocent, there’s nothing to worry about…..

What has George Riley got to do with a page on Oldham playing against Rochdale?

Whoever started it could you explain why? Suppose not.

Great second half by Rochdale. Was really impressed with the scrum half - will be moving in for him next season.

• Like 1

Just now, jroyales said:

What has George Riley got to do with a page on Oldham playing against Rochdale?

Whoever started it could you explain why? Suppose not.

Great second half by Rochdale. Was really impressed with the scrum half - will be moving in for him next season.

Completely agree. I was trying to keep out this argument. I will say,however, trial by social media is a scourge. He's not been found guilty of anything, therefore, innocent.So please stop it!

As for the game, I noticed the hairnets are saying they have learned from the loss and are now ready for the rematch. To my mind we took our foot off the gas in the second half

Hopefully we, too, have learned a thing or two and we will be giving it full throttle for the full 80!

• Like 3

Back to the match, I really enjoyed the first half. There was some really slick rugby out there and having watched the match again, that shone through. I think the second half was more a case of job done, and move on. I know Shaun said different but with done big matches on the the way I am sure that was on their minds. 

j also feel the inconsistency of the refereeing didn’t help. He was poor in decisions to both sides. It was another show of “look at me I’m in charge”, rather than getting on with the game and letting it flow. 

I think Rochdale really contributed to the match. They will hopefully have a good season and keep the local flag flying along with us

The team is starting to gel and a core team is developing. There are some cracking players outside Sundays line up so it should keep pressure on the players currently fly wearing the shirts. 

One player who deserves special mention is Elijah Taylor. He really is marshalling the team around the pitch. 

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 1

Stats-

Astley-3 tackles. 4 tackle breaks.  one clean break. 2 try assists. 8 carries=43m

Agoro-6 tackles. one tackle break. one clean break. 13 carries=198m

O'Keefe-15 tackles. one offload. one tackle break. 6 carries=35m

Turner-4 tackles. 2 offloads. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 15 carries=177m

Johnson-3 tackles. one miss. one tackle break. 3 clean breaks. 14 carries=136m

Craven-10 tackles.2 tackle breaks. one clean break. 12 carries=66m

Ellis-8 tackles.2 misses. one tackle break. 5 carries=22m

Kopzcak-20 tackles. one tackle break. 11 carries=87m

Wildie-30 tackles. one miss. 3 try assists. 7 carries=67m

J Chapelhow-30 tackles. one tackle break. 18 carries=150m

Wardle-23 tackles. one miss. 7 carries=50m

Lawton-19 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads.  2 clean breaks. 8 carries=69m

Taylor-16 tackles. one tackle break. 7 carries=50m