Will 2024 be the best NRL season ever?

5 minutes ago, nko11 said:

I really like the idea. But Timezones are going to make it difficult. Either going to have to play it at 10am UK time to suit Australian TV (8pm). Or play it at 7:30pm UK time and it be on at 5:30am in Australia.

Yeh that’s the sticking point, neither option ideal. 10-11am start for NRL followed by Super League game at 12-1pm could work. Not the most conventional time for Rugby League but other sports can start at those times and still draw a crowd.

On 21/02/2024 at 16:43, Sports Prophet said:

I’m off Brisbane 3. Maybe Ipswich, but to bring in Easts, nah not for me. Why further dilute the inner Brisbane market?

A 3rd team in Brisbane would dilute the market? Yet in Gosford there are 10 teams within 100kms.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Omott91 said:

A 3rd team in Brisbane would dilute the market? Yet in Gosford there are 10 teams within 100kms.

Yes, Brisbane would be diluted if another team was added there. It is the actual definition of dilution.

Gosford and the Central Coast however is a different market from any of those 10 teams and has no club of its own, so does not constitute dilution.

In saying that, I understand where you are coming from. I just disagree that Central Coast is not a strong prospect, if that is what you are suggesting.

Storm being welcomed by traditional dancers at the airport and making the front page of the local papers:

Storm arrive for special week in Fiji - FijiLive

Sellout crowds in New. Zealand.

And the NRL`s Vegas adventure really getting under the skin of union types in Oz due to its` blanket coverage in the Oz media., and with one P. ftzsmmns demeaning himself today by penning a whole article in the Herald, " Don`t believe the Hype" dedicated to bagging out the venture. Btw, not a word about the opening round of super rugby pacific this Friday.

It really is reaching fever pitch over here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Storm being welcomed by traditional dancers at the airport and making the front page of the local papers:

Storm arrive for special week in Fiji - FijiLive

Sellout crowds in New. Zealand.

And the NRL`s Vegas adventure really getting under the skin of union types in Oz due to its` blanket coverage in the Oz media., and with one P. ftzsmmns demeaning himself today by penning a whole article in the Herald, " Don`t believe the Hype" dedicated to bagging out the venture. Btw, not a word about the opening round of super rugby pacific this Friday.

It really is reaching fever pitch over here.

Forgot all about this, it's great to see. I think the NRL have only scraped the surface when it comes to the potential in Fiji.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, Brisbane would be diluted if another team was added there. It is the actual definition of dilution.

Gosford and the Central Coast however is a different market from any of those 10 teams and has no club of its own, so does not constitute dilution.

In saying that, I understand where you are coming from. I just disagree that Central Coast is not a strong prospect, if that is what you are suggesting.

Unfortunately for the Central Coast being sandwiched between Newcastle and 9 Sydney clubs will mean they’re very unlikely to get an expansion team. They should be getting more games than they currently get though.

Sunshine Coast would be a better bet if the NRL looks at any more ‘regional’ clubs. Although there will be strong competition from Brisbane 3 if/when the NRL wants another SEQ team, CQ will pop back up again one day too I’d imagine.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2024 at 22:24, Damien said:

Forgot all about this, it's great to see. I think the NRL have only scraped the surface when it comes to the potential in Fiji.

The Fijian PM was in the crowd wearing Melbourne Storm gear.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2024 at 22:20, jim_57 said:

Unfortunately for the Central Coast being sandwiched between Newcastle and 9 Sydney clubs will mean they’re very unlikely to get an expansion team. They should be getting more games than they currently get though.

Sunshine Coast would be a better bet if the NRL looks at any more ‘regional’ clubs. Although there will be strong competition from Brisbane 3 if/when the NRL wants another SEQ team, CQ will pop back up again one day too I’d imagine.

Would need a lot of building at the stadium for sunshine coast to make it. Seating is in the hundreds. the large hill on the opposite side quickly turns into mud after heavy rain…as it was for the Titans v Dolphins trial game and there is no protection from the elements ( which means sun as well as rain in Queensland).

Four disturbingly high attendances in NSW and QLD for the opening AFL round.

Swans 40k, Lions 33k, Suns 22k, Giants 21k.

Could be some jiggery-pokery with free tickets and the like, but these numbers are still a warning for Abdo and PVL. Complacency could be costly. To compete with Fumble, NRL has to entertain.

Haul in Annesley. The three of them really need to examine the effect the bunker has on the NRL product. Pretty much anything exciting is a possible problem for the bunker. Take for instance the flat-out insane obstruction call that ruined a perfectly good Panthers try against Melbourne. Thirty years ago, nobody even thinks that might be obstruction.

The bunker looks for problems, finds problems, creates problems. Stop it. Let the game flourish.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Could be some jiggery-pokery with free tickets and the like, but these numbers are still a warning for Abdo and PVL. Complacency could be costly. To compete with Fumble, NRL has to entertain.

Haul in Annesley. The three of them really need to examine the effect the bunker has on the NRL product. Pretty much anything exciting is a possible problem for the bunker. Take for instance the flat-out insane obstruction call that ruined a perfectly good Panthers try against Melbourne. Thirty years ago, nobody even thinks that might be obstruction.

Lots of gnashing of teeth, panicking and finger pointing amongst fumbleball fans over the NRL`s Vegas extravaganza and corresponding media saturation the last couple of weeks so I don`t think there was ever any doubt that every fumbleball cultist in the country was going to show up for this weekend`s meet.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The bunker looks for problems, finds problems, creates problems. Stop it. Let the game flourish.

Written and spoken by Unapologetic Pedant on behalf of the Get Rid of the Bunker Party.

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I mentioned these figures on the other thread. There is no mistaking how good the attendances are, free tickets or not. The stadiums were buzzing and GWS and Suns were full of people wearing the apparel. A free ticket is never a free ticket.

I don’t think the NRL will be resting on any laurels though. PVL is up for the fight and he has always made it very clear of the importance in ensuring the game is flourishing in Sydney and Brisbane first and foremost.

Those apparel figures from @Damien are an amazing demonstration of growth. There is no doubt, the NRL and RL is in the strongest position it ever has been. It feels like SL has finally arrived after almost 30 years of waiting. It’s been nowhere near as long but I can’t wait for the Sharks development to be finished so crowds can get back above 15k again. A great win in Rd 1 will help.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Those figures are normal for Swans and Lions. The other two are probably a bit bigger than normal.

You have to understand the AFL is VERY strange when it comes to attendance. Although they get good attendance it's not really indicate if anything. I've met two Brisbane Lions fans in my life. One was a fairly casual fan.

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I mentioned these figures on the other thread. There is no mistaking how good the attendances are, free tickets or not. The stadiums were buzzing and GWS and Suns were full of people wearing the apparel. A free ticket is never a free ticket.

I don’t think the NRL will be resting on any laurels though. PVL is up for the fight and he has always made it very clear of the importance in ensuring the game is flourishing in Sydney and Brisbane first and foremost.

Those apparel figures from @Damien are an amazing demonstration of growth. There is no doubt, the NRL and RL is in the strongest position it ever has been. It feels like SL has finally arrived after almost 30 years of waiting. It’s been nowhere near as long but I can’t wait for the Sharks development to be finished so crowds can get back above 15k again. A great win in Rd 1 will help.

Do you follow both codes ?

15 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Do you follow both codes ?

Yes definitely, to much dismay from some on here that it would be even possible to like two different codes of football. Then again, some people can’t even understand how one person can like two different league’s of the same sport.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes definitely, to much dismay from some on here that it would be even possible to like two different codes of football. Then again, some people can’t even understand how one person can like two different league’s of the same sport.

I tink it's good and healthy to follow more then one code...mate I live in the North East and you find most Soccer fans only will only follow be it Newcastle, Sunderland, England or even Man Utd so it's great when you meet someone who is Rugby League, AFL, GAA and even NFL Rugby Union and Cricket but thats tends to be people who play for a club....still waiting to meet a CFL fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

Those figures are normal for Swans and Lions. The other two are probably a bit bigger than normal.

Swans and Lions are higher than average. Suns and Giants are far higher than average.

In any case, a claim that the first two are normal backs up my argument that now is no time for complacency.

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

You have to understand the AFL is VERY strange when it comes to attendance. Although they get good attendance it's not really indicate if anything. I've met two Brisbane Lions fans in my life. One was a fairly casual fan.

AFL is VERY strange all round. Toss up whether it's stranger on or off the field. Nonetheless, the volume of crowd support in RL States must indicate something.

Posters on Aussie RL forums tenaciously insist that AFL is completely invisible in NSW and QLD. All the Swans and Lions fans must live underground.

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

True, which makes it more surprising he isn't alert to the commercial implications of bunkerized refereeing. 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Those apparel figures from @Damien are an amazing demonstration of growth. There is no doubt, the NRL and RL is in the strongest position it ever has been. It feels like SL has finally arrived after almost 30 years of waiting. 

In some ways, the product on the field was better placed to take advantage 30 years ago. Pre bunker and pre knock-on/obstruction derangement syndrome. Watch any game from that era and you see the difference. Recurrent points where then it was "Play On", now it's a stoppage and obsessive compulsive deliberation.

AFL would never let this happen. Spectator appeal is their overriding priority.

2 hours ago, EggFace said:

I tink it's good and healthy to follow more then one code...mate I live in the North East and you find most Soccer fans only will only follow be it Newcastle, Sunderland, England or even Man Utd so it's great when you meet someone who is Rugby League, AFL, GAA and even NFL Rugby Union and Cricket but thats tends to be people who play for a club....still waiting to meet a CFL fan.

CFL is a good format and goodvfun when I've seen it on TV, just a hard sell with such cold weather.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

There is no dismay from this quarter. You can follow any c—-. You might want to find some kindred spirits rather than wasting our time on a UK league site. There is even a fat Vichy/TGG sub site on here. Tbh, it’s a bit sad that you have no like minds to hang out with. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Sad 1