Fri 23rd Feb: SL: Warrington Wolves v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/02/24 at 20:30

9 minutes ago, Ant said:

That is not a good look for the game

We don't need to be too po-faced about this. It's good stuff on social media. 

Sports fans are used to controversial decisions in their sports. 

3 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I am, uniquely, in total agreement with   Wilkin, on every single point he makes tonight. 

He's actually much better with just Brian. 

Just now, Damien said:

It certainly helps when he is correct for once and not talking nonsense.

The chat is more focused rather than blokes in a pub. 

He wasn't trying to be controversial either. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Something quite clear to focus on though and something that very unusually has got 100% of people on here in agreement. All in all quite an unusual set of circumstances all round!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You haven't got the good cop bad cop scenario which Sky have played for far too long, seems like IMG have told them to grow up.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Watching the Brown red card again and regardless of interpretation its probably the softest red card I've ever seen. He grabs Curry around the waist area, gets spun around in the tackle and they clash heads. I have no idea what they expect him to do. It happens so quick that Brown doesn't have time to move his head out of the way, I doubt he even saw it coming.

I'm generally in favour of the new interpretations, but they really need to apply a bit of common sense. If games are going to be decided by incidents like that then I have very little interest in watching.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I am, uniquely, in total agreement with   Wilkin, on every single point he makes tonight. 

It's worrying isn't it. I found myself nodding as he spoke, then had to give my head a complete wobble to check my sanity.

Edited by Padge
  • Haha 4

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Thought as much on first sight. First game at home, new era etc etc, what the issue doe you think?

They've already decided its not their year?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Thought as much on first sight. First game at home, new era etc etc, what the issue doe you think?

Fans have realised after one round the state of the game they'll be watching with the new application of the rules. Highly likely to see a send off and yellow cards resulting in a lack of contest which this was after half time.

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

On the subject of the penalty try, I thought Hoy going high gave him a chance to score in a way that a good low tackle wouldn't have. He had a chance to duck under and score, but he lost his footing and knocked on. A penalty try is meant to be awarded when foul play prevents a try scoring opportunity. In this case the foul play presented a try scoring opportunity.

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

On the subject of the penalty try, I thought Hoy going high gave him a chance to score in a way that a good low tackle wouldn't have. He had a chance to duck under and score, but he lost his footing and knocked on. A penalty try is meant to be awarded when foul play prevents a try scoring opportunity. In this case the foul play presented a try scoring opportunity.

That is an interesting interpretation.

Just now, Dave T said:

That is an interesting interpretation.

I'm not being entirely serious, but it was an unusual one. I certainly don't think you can say it was the high tackle that prevented him from scoring. 

Putting aside the red card and other decisions, I feel a bit happier about that as a Hull fan. Without pulling up any trees we were probably the better team when it was 13 v 13, and we certainly looked better organised than we did last week. I thought Staveley showed up well and should keep his place, I'd also like to see more of Balmforth who always looks to have a bit about him.

Need to do a professional job against London next week and then we should start to get a few troops back and can hopefully start to progress a bit.

• Like 4

I came back from a good night out and started watching the game on recording. Was enjoying it until the Brown sending off. That was ###### ridiculous. 

I don’t know what sport this is, but it’s not the rugby league I’ve played, reffed, coached and loved for 40 years. If this is what you like, good for you, but it’s not for me. I switched off after that ridiculous decision. Still don’t know the outcome if the game and tbh don’t much care. 

This is, and I say this as a rugby league fanatic stalwart for decades, . Absolute . I do not want to see red cards in every game. I do not want to see accidental head clashes in normal tackles result in game-changing dismissals. It’s , and it’s killing my lifelong love for the game. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roy Haggerty said:

I came back from a good night out and started watching the game on recording. Was enjoying it until the Brown sending off. That was ###### ridiculous. 

I don’t know what sport this is, but it’s not the rugby league I’ve played, reffed, coached and loved for 40 years. If this is what you like, good for you, but it’s not for me. I switched off after that ridiculous decision. Still don’t know the outcome if the game and tbh don’t much care. 

This is, and I say this as a rugby league fanatic stalwart for decades, . Absolute . I do not want to see red cards in every game. I do not want to see accidental head clashes in normal tackles result in game-changing dismissals. It’s , and it’s killing my lifelong love for the game. 

I said during the week that we maybe to think about some sort of punishment that is not as dramatic as going down to 12. Eject players from the game, ban them from future games, that's fine. But the effect of being a man down in a sport like RL is massive. Teams occasionally manage to overcome it, but more often than not it kills the game as a contest. Warrington might well have won tonight anyway, but up until the red it was a very tight game.

We need to explore options because at the minute I think we are in real danger of alienating a lot of fans in the attempt to make the game safer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MZH said:

I said during the week that we maybe to think about some sort of punishment that is not as dramatic as going down to 12. Eject players from the game, ban them from future games, that's fine. But the effect of being a man down in a sport like RL is massive. Teams occasionally manage to overcome it, but more often than not it kills the game as a contest. Warrington might well have won tonight anyway, but up until the red it was a very tight game.

We need to explore options because at the minute I think we are in real danger of alienating a lot of fans in the attempt to make the game safer.

An option could be to remove that player from the game for the remainder of the match but only reduce the team by a player for 10 minutes. This would be along the lines of how ice hockey deal with serious offences that deserve to end the players participation but doesn’t then destroy the competitive balance of the game.

If you wanted to go further you could also dock the offending team 2 interchanges for a red card thus increasing their fatigue load.

• Like 1

1st time in my entire life have switched over to the leeds utd match for the last 20 mins and found myself enjoying that more instead! utter dross - penalty this penalty that - the football was actually more free flowing

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile