PHIL LOWE RIP

That's a huge loss to the game. What a legend.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Obituary posted on hullkr.com:

Hull KR are deeply saddened to announce one of our greatest Robins, Phil Lowe has passed away at the age of 74.

The club extends it’s heartfelt condolences to Phil’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Phil Lowe was, quite simply, the finest running second row forward the game of rugby league has seen. At his devastating best, the sight of “Lowey”, his legs pumping with his characteristically high knee action and powering him through defences, thrilled his supporters and at the same time struck fear into would-be defenders.

Phil was born in Hull in January 1950, signing for Rovers from Jervis Youth Club on his 16th birthday. A former Hull and Yorkshire schoolboys’ captain, he quickly progressed through Rovers’ Juniors and ‘A’ teams into the first team, where he made his debut on 4 March 1967. He earned a regular second-row place the following season, when he appeared in 44 of the 49 matches. At 6’2”, he was very tall for this era, and he possessed a powerful physique and considerable pace.

Phil was the youngest member of the victorious 1970 Great Britain tour party to Australasia, and although he did not play in the historic series against the Aussies, he was able to work one-to-one on his game with coach Johnny Whiteley. Whiteley had tried to sign Phil for Hull FC before he joined Rovers, and was a great admirer – “He had physique and speed – a natural athlete – you could see that he was destined for success,” Whiteley said. He played 12 games for Great Britain and five for England, helping Great Britain to victory in the 1972 World Cup final.

In 1972/73, Phil enjoyed his most prolific try-scoring season, scoring 26 tries to beat Bill Sandham’s 60-year old club record for a forward. The following year, he emigrated to Australia to spend three years with top Aussie club Manly Warringah – now the Sea Eagles. He scored 25 tries in 72 games for Manly, including their only try in their 1976 Grand Final success over Parramatta.

Phil returned to Craven Park in October 1976 and was a regular member of the side until his retirement in 1983. Still at his peak when he returned, he had, whilst in Australia, added to his game by developing into a top class cover-tackler. He made a huge contribution to the 1978/79 championship success with 24 tries in 37 appearances.

In all, Phil made 418 appearances for the Robins, sixth in the club’s all-time list, and his 179 tries were bettered only by Roger Millward and Steve Hartley. He had a total of 36 second row partners with Rovers, but will always be remembered for his partnership with Paul Rose, as the two complemented each other’s games perfectly. In the course of his career, he played in a record five finals against the Black & Whites, finishing on the winning side on three occasions, including in 1980 at Wembley.

After his retirement from playing, Phil had a short spell coaching at York before two spells with the Robins as a director, serving as club chairman between 1992 and 1994 and more recently as football director.

Hull KR Owner, Neil Hudgell paid tribute to one of the club’s greatest players: ‘“Phil was an extraordinary man. A one-off.

“He achieved everything in the sport, being a Grand Final winner on both sides of the world. He was decorated for his country many times over. Phil did it with modesty and humility. He was my hero when growing up around the sport in the 1970’s.

“The sight of Phil Lowe in full flight was something no one who witnessed it will ever forget.

“He became a very good friend of mine over the last 20 years, we made many great memories together. He was always direct and to the point, but had a very kind heart. He was respected everywhere.

“I won’t forget our last trip down under. He met Rob Crossland and I off the quay at Manly and took us in the Steyne Hotel, his local. He was still revered there some 40 years after hanging up his boots.

“Phil will be greatly missed by his very many friends. A true red and white, Hull KR has lost a legend, and part of its fabric."

• Like 7

I'm really saddened to hear that.

The obituary from Rovers and Neil Hudgell's comments say it all really. He was the greatest running second rower I've ever seen. His pace was phenomenal. I can still remember the sinking feeling as a young Hull fan watching him break from his own 25 in a derby game at Craven Park knowing full well it was only going to end one way.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Plenty of wonderful obituaries for a truly great player. There’s a fantastic photograph of him in full flight against Hull FC in a premiership final at Headingley in the early eighties. I think the unfortunate Graham Bray was trying to tackle him, probably wondering “Why me?”. 
If anyone can dig it out and bung it on here, it really does help to show the awesome power of the man.

Rest easy Phil.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

He was the greatest running second rower I've ever seen.

That’s some tribute and truly deserved.

Well said mate.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I can still visualise him in front of us storming through the Aussie defence for 2 tries in the 1973 Test against Australia at a sparsely populated Wembley. 

Great player. RIP.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Obituary posted on hullkr.com:

Hull KR are deeply saddened to announce one of our greatest Robins, Phil Lowe has passed away at the age of 74.

The club extends it’s heartfelt condolences to Phil’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Phil Lowe was, quite simply, the finest running second row forward the game of rugby league has seen. At his devastating best, the sight of “Lowey”, his legs pumping with his characteristically high knee action and powering him through defences, thrilled his supporters and at the same time struck fear into would-be defenders.

Phil was born in Hull in January 1950, signing for Rovers from Jervis Youth Club on his 16th birthday. A former Hull and Yorkshire schoolboys’ captain, he quickly progressed through Rovers’ Juniors and ‘A’ teams into the first team, where he made his debut on 4 March 1967. He earned a regular second-row place the following season, when he appeared in 44 of the 49 matches. At 6’2”, he was very tall for this era, and he possessed a powerful physique and considerable pace.

Phil was the youngest member of the victorious 1970 Great Britain tour party to Australasia, and although he did not play in the historic series against the Aussies, he was able to work one-to-one on his game with coach Johnny Whiteley. Whiteley had tried to sign Phil for Hull FC before he joined Rovers, and was a great admirer – “He had physique and speed – a natural athlete – you could see that he was destined for success,” Whiteley said. He played 12 games for Great Britain and five for England, helping Great Britain to victory in the 1972 World Cup final.

In 1972/73, Phil enjoyed his most prolific try-scoring season, scoring 26 tries to beat Bill Sandham’s 60-year old club record for a forward. The following year, he emigrated to Australia to spend three years with top Aussie club Manly Warringah – now the Sea Eagles. He scored 25 tries in 72 games for Manly, including their only try in their 1976 Grand Final success over Parramatta.

Phil returned to Craven Park in October 1976 and was a regular member of the side until his retirement in 1983. Still at his peak when he returned, he had, whilst in Australia, added to his game by developing into a top class cover-tackler. He made a huge contribution to the 1978/79 championship success with 24 tries in 37 appearances.

In all, Phil made 418 appearances for the Robins, sixth in the club’s all-time list, and his 179 tries were bettered only by Roger Millward and Steve Hartley. He had a total of 36 second row partners with Rovers, but will always be remembered for his partnership with Paul Rose, as the two complemented each other’s games perfectly. In the course of his career, he played in a record five finals against the Black & Whites, finishing on the winning side on three occasions, including in 1980 at Wembley.

After his retirement from playing, Phil had a short spell coaching at York before two spells with the Robins as a director, serving as club chairman between 1992 and 1994 and more recently as football director.

Hull KR Owner, Neil Hudgell paid tribute to one of the club’s greatest players: ‘“Phil was an extraordinary man. A one-off.

“He achieved everything in the sport, being a Grand Final winner on both sides of the world. He was decorated for his country many times over. Phil did it with modesty and humility. He was my hero when growing up around the sport in the 1970’s.

“The sight of Phil Lowe in full flight was something no one who witnessed it will ever forget.

“He became a very good friend of mine over the last 20 years, we made many great memories together. He was always direct and to the point, but had a very kind heart. He was respected everywhere.

“I won’t forget our last trip down under. He met Rob Crossland and I off the quay at Manly and took us in the Steyne Hotel, his local. He was still revered there some 40 years after hanging up his boots.

“Phil will be greatly missed by his very many friends. A true red and white, Hull KR has lost a legend, and part of its fabric."

RIP Phil ...never seen him play but heard about him over the years.

Any one want to share a games/clips on YouTube that have him playing?

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

RIP Phil ...never seen him play but heard about him over the years.

Any one want to share a games/clips on YouTube that have him playing?

Hull KR tweeted a montage earlier today:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Hull KR tweeted a montage earlier today:

A nice tribute to a great player.

RIP Phil.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Worth noting that during his time as coach at York, Phil Lowe steered the Wasps to the semi-finals of the 1983-84 Challenge Cup then, the following season, guided his men to promotion to Division One, behind champions Swinton and runners-up Salford.

BBC Radio York is to broadcast, on Tuesday, March 26 (6pm), a celebration of that York run to the Challenge Cup's last four.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Such a great player, but also a lovely bloke who commanded every room he was in, an imposing presence but friendly and always had time for everyone. Proper heartbeat of the club. I love this photo, think it encapsulates everything. 

Phil-Lowe-5.webp

Edited by Worzel
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Such a great player, but also a lovely bloke who commanded every room he was in, an imposing presence but friendly and always had time for everyone. Proper heartbeat of the club. I love this photo, think it encapsulates everything. 

Phil-Lowe-5.webp

Brilliant photo from the great era when Hull and Rovers were fighting it out for every available trophy.

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Brilliant photo from the great era when Hull and Rovers were fighting it out for every available trophy.

Yes, good times. I know we all joke around and sometimes enjoy it when the other club is in a fallow patch, I watched the Leigh match with great glee I can't deny it, but that's a pretty short-lived type of fun and it'd be great to get back to the days when Hull and Rovers are battling it out near the top of the table. As long as we never have to play you again at Wembley, I'm not sure I could stand the potential loss of that story. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Phil-Lowe-5.webp

The other three players than Phil look like Gary Kemble, Barry Banks and Chris Burton. I am sure KR or Hull fans will correct me if I am wrong!

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

The other three players than Phil look like Gary Kemble, Barry Banks and Chris Burton. I am sure KR or Hull fans will correct me if I am wrong!

You're right about Barry Banks and Chris Burton but I think that's Paul Woods at full back.

On 20/03/2024 at 14:40, JF1 said:

I can still visualise him in front of us storming through the Aussie defence for 2 tries in the 1973 Test against Australia at a sparsely populated Wembley. 

Right on both counts. The great man storming through for two tries...and massive areas of near-empty terracing at Wembley.

Lowe was a tremendous player and in many ways the prototype for some of the huge, fast back-rowers we saw from Australia in years to come.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

He, Malcolm Reilly, Steve Norton, and Bill Ashurst were the tall long striding type of forwards the Aussies based their new style game on.

Lowe was a great player.  Wish he was available for GB today. RIP

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.