Wigan coaches 7 year contracts

4 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Well deserved although I would expect the assistants to have moved on to head coach opportunities elsewhere in the next 3 years if they keep up with the current trophy pace.

Plenty of assistant coaches don't want to be a head coach. I suspect it is the case here too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Plenty of assistant coaches don't want to be a head coach. I suspect it is the case here too.

If Sean O'Loughlin never took the reins at Wigan, I'd be very surprised.

Great news for Wigan, in my view the best coaching team in SL. Unusually long contracts but there may well be break clauses and I doubt the club would stand in the way if big opportunities came up elsewhere - which I suspect would only be England or NRL ones.

• Like 2

What is the longest coaching tenure in the SL era? 

Always weird these 7 year deals. They are there to send a message really, but I'm not sure why you'd ever offer somebody a 7 year deal, especially not an assistant coach. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What is the longest coaching tenure in the SL era? 

Always weird these 7 year deals. They are there to send a message really, but I'm not sure why you'd ever offer somebody a 7 year deal, especially not an assistant coach. 

It's very much a coaching team, hence Wigan tying in all three together. Each is as important as the other, Leuluai and O'Loughlin are far from your normal (junior for want of a better term) assistants.

I'd certainly imagine there are clauses where people can leave etc though. For me its another statement under the new owner, Mike Danson, as much as anything else.

Just now, Damien said:

It's very much a coaching team, hence Wigan tying in all three together. Each is as important as the other, Leuluai and O'Loughlin are far from your normal (junior for want of a better term) assistants.

I'd certainly imagine there are clauses where people can leave etc though. For me its another statement under the new owner, Mike Danson, as much as anything else.

Yeah, like I say, I get it as a statement for fans/media etc. A 7 year contract doesn't really do anything that a more standard 5 year contract doesn't do. 

It's PR really, which isn't a bad thing. 

I think the only other 7 year contract we've seen here though was Brodie Croft! 

Just now, Dave T said:

Yeah, like I say, I get it as a statement for fans/media etc. A 7 year contract doesn't really do anything that a more standard 5 year contract doesn't do. 

It's PR really, which isn't a bad thing. 

I think the only other 7 year contract we've seen here though was Brodie Croft! 

I think there is also the obvious element of that these deals will be vastly improved for the people concerned, particularly under Danson v Lenegan previously, and will supersede their existing contracts too. In return the club tie in all three coaches for a set period. It's an investment by both parties.

Clearly good news for Wigan to get the coaching team tied down to long term deals. That said, 7 years for all three does seem odd. While this means that it's going to take an incredible opportunity to see anyone leave, I think it would take something special to make them want to leave in the next few years anyway. But after a few years, there might be a benefit to Wigan in getting one or two new voices in.

I encourage them to use this period of security to try and optimise their ISA and SIPP contributions. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Great news for Wigan, in my view the best coaching team in SL. Unusually long contracts but there may well be break clauses and I doubt the club would stand in the way if big opportunities came up elsewhere - which I suspect would only be England or NRL ones.

I`m always more concerned with these things when things go bad and people have to be paid out.

23 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I`m always more concerned with these things when things go bad and people have to be paid out.

True, though it could be written in to the deal that the club pay a maximum of x months payments to terminate the contract.

Good news for Wigan, though I’d agree it’s a long time for a coaching team to stay together, Tony Smith was at Wire for 8 years I think? Though there were plenty of assistant changes in that time - it felt a tired coaching team at the end though. If Peet and his team can still feel as fresh and impactful as they have the past couple of years they will have done incredibly well.

59 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

True, though it could be written in to the deal that the club pay a maximum of x months payments to terminate the contract.

Good news for Wigan, though I’d agree it’s a long time for a coaching team to stay together, Tony Smith was at Wire for 8 years I think? Though there were plenty of assistant changes in that time - it felt a tired coaching team at the end though. If Peet and his team can still feel as fresh and impactful as they have the past couple of years they will have done incredibly well.

tbh it could be said thats where the wobble started towards the end, the removal of marshall and poching and replacing him with the already slightly stained in coaching circles/fans opinion of richard agar, (aka smiths squash partner) there was a lot of perceived negatives

A seven year coaching contract would be considered short term at Sheffield.

We've only had seven head coaches.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Seven years is a very long time. Signing this sort of thing just after winning a very big game also strikes me as somewhat ill advised. It only takes a couple of less than stellar seasons for people to start changing their minds.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I encourage them to use this period of security to try and optimise their ISA and SIPP contributions. 

Hopefully they read this forum for their own sake.

• Like 1