Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bridge out for the season

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 28 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this serious?

So when asked for a list of players who you would put at 3 ahead of Bridge, you go with:
Pryce
J Tomkins
Clubb
Smith
Watkins
Briscoe

Most of those players don't even play right centre, yet you would have them in ahead of a player who has made that position his own and has had a couple of decent games for England in that position already.

With the caveats that I put in, yes.

Bridge is a distinctly average player - good enough for a mid-table SL side but that's it.
People called Romans they go the house

#42 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly you've got issues with Bridge leaving your beloved Bradford

Since he left he has improved year on year after injury after injury and made the Centre spot his position.

We both agree we would like to see pyrce in the centre.

Lee Smith over Bridge not sure, Smith is a winger / FB for me.

Callum Watkins over Bridge..... WCC thats enough said

Tom Briscoe agree 100%, but thats one for the Future (is he ready to play centre v's Aus and NZ)

Gleeson like you we agree (pies would back this up, he deserves his place back)

and I'm sorry you are being pathetic if you think Bridge shouldn't play for Eng because he played for Ireland.

I have no issue with Bridge - if he wanted to do to his body what he was reputed to have done then that is his problem. I just don't think he's a very good player - I have said that I would like Pryce to play there and he left Bradford in a reasonably acrimonious manner too.

And whilst I can accept players 'choosing' a country to represent - they should never be allowed to change. It makes a mockery of the game.

Edited by MrPosh, 28 June 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jun 28 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the caveats that I put in, yes.

Bridge is a distinctly average player - good enough for a mid-table SL side but that's it.
Fair enough it's your opinion, but I just find it strange that you couldn't find any actual number threes knocking around in the game that are better than him and doing it week in week out.
The one that is up there is Gleeson and you don't even mention him.
We saw how good Lee Smith was at 3 in that 40m destruction at the DW.

#44 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 28 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair enough it's your opinion, but I just find it strange that you couldn't find any actual number threes knocking around in the game that are better than him and doing it week in week out.
The one that is up there is Gleeson and you don't even mention him.
We saw how good Lee Smith was at 3 in that 40m destruction at the DW.

Yes I did - although I think the baggage that comes with him might not be worth the improvement in player.

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jun 28 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I did - although I think the baggage that comes with him might not be worth the improvement in player.
Apologies, missed Gleeson, thought it was strange he was left off the list.

#46 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jun 28 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And whilst I can accept players 'choosing' a country to represent - they should never be allowed to change. It makes a mockery of the game.

that's a more valid reason for not having him in the team rather than him not being up to the standard.
foxes or poor people?

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Jun 28 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's a more valid reason for not having him in the team rather than him not being up to the standard.
Yep, especially when the 'standard' is Clubb, Smith and a second-rower.
The Ireland thing is the one thing I have agreed with Mr Posh about in this thread, although it is up to the governing bodies to put a stop to this farcical situation now.

#48 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Sad that an injury is the source of such poor bickering

For any player to have an injury that puts them out for the season is awful for them - I hope he comes back big and strong in time for selection against them there Antipodeans.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#49 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jun 28 2010, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For any player to have an injury that puts them out for the season is awful for them - I hope he comes back big and strong in time for selection against them there Antipodeans.

You are spot on.

end of thread for me.

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Personally I just hope that by season they were referring to the 8 week period and that he may be back for the playoffs.

#51 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 28 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I just hope that by season they were referring to the 8 week period and that he may be back for the playoffs.

Yep - that'd be great for the lad
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#52 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Exactly and I apologise if I gave off any impression to the contrary. And can I just say, I'm not proud - I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong as Bridge runs in his fourth try in the Four Nations final.

#53 Cliffy Lyons

Cliffy Lyons
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jun 28 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very true, the evans twins will not be far off.

forget the burgess twins (where are they now?????)

Wires future is bright......yesterday the new golden age of Warrington beat leeds U20's 94 - 6

now thats a BRIGHT future

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think you will find half of the Leeds second team actual played and beat Warringtons first team yesterday !!!
I feel that could be the reason.

#54 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

Shenton did alright yesterday. dry.gif I think he's a right centre, definitely remember seeing him score 2 of his tries on the right hand side.

Michael Platt?! wink.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#55 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jun 28 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shenton did alright yesterday. dry.gif I think he's a right centre, definitely remember seeing him score 2 of his tries on the right hand side.

Michael Platt?! wink.gif

Can't Sykes play at centre, although Eric Sykes could probably do a better job.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#56 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jun 28 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't Sykes play at centre, although Eric Sykes could probably do a better job.

Sykes shouldn't be considered, not even as a utility back.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#57 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Personally don't see where Gleeson has put himself back in contention - decent defensively but ain't been pulling up any trees in attack all season.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jun 28 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally don't see where Gleeson has put himself back in contention - decent defensively but ain't been pulling up any trees in attack all season.

Maybe, but when you look at the list of 3's he would still have to be near the top.

#59 TWD

TWD
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Cliffy Lyons @ Jun 28 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think you will find half of the Leeds second team actual played and beat Warringtons first team yesterday !!!
I feel that could be the reason.

I've seen and heard it said many times today half of Leeds' second team was playing for the first team. Apart from 3 youngsters on the bench who are all these second teamers?

Smith, Donald, Delaney, Senior, Hall, Sinfield, McGuire, Bailey, Buderus, Peacock, Eastwood, Jones-Buchanan, Ablett.
Replacements: Kirke, Pitts, Ambler, McShane

#60 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jun 28 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite a few. You are quite right that it is important to pick with form and also players that play there for their clubs, but I would put several ahead of Bridge in terms of talent.

I would like to see Pryce play at centre, but I'm not sure that he can do that effectively if he's not doing that for his club - I still feel it's his best position. Likewise Joel Tomkins, who looks to have all the necessary attributes, but I see Wigan fans feel he should stay in the second row.

I might be a minority, but I really like Clubb at Quins and I think that Lee Smith is a better option than Bridge (as I'm sure would be Callum Watkins) - especially if Widdop is going to be full-back. Add in Gleeson and the fact centre is meant to be Tom Briscoe's best position and I think Bridge should be quite a way from the team.

Also, the fact that he originally chose Ireland should rule him out of selection permanently.

and there your arguement loses any credibility, does anybody bother to look at stats Bridge probably makes more breaks per game than any other centre in SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users