• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

#1 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

http://www.sportingl...Castleford.html

There should be no place for that kind of thing in our game, should there?

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#2 Whacky Llama

Whacky Llama
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

Well done RFL, maybe Cas will take matters like this more seriously next time.

#3 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

oh ffs

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Whacky Llama @ Jun 29 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done RFL, maybe Cas will take matters like this more seriously next time.

hear hear
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

No Mark. Absolutely not.

Using the "N" word to describe someone of afro-caribbean origin, or blatant homophobic comments at the gay and lesbian community is, rightly becoming slowly more socially unacceptable! Each year I see less evidence of it though it is still there, and still needs addressing.

Now, Sunday v Widnes, "nar then ya big ginger 2@" was hurled in my direction. We all had a chortle in the lagoon and got about our business of enjoying the afternoon.

Difference??

You know the job I do Mark, and that my toleration for anyobody or any organisation negatively discriminating anyone for any reason is non-existant. But the ginger comment did make me think - tho not too seriously! Had I have been black and the word ginger substituted for "black" in the above sentence - there would have been an entirely different response don't ya think?

Back to your question - in the 21st century people ought to be able to live as they wish within the law without being subject to a barrage of abuse when doing their job. If their employers can't/won't protect them, then they deserve the wonga taking off them!

Edited by Robin Evans, 29 June 2010 - 11:54 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Castleford have already signalled their intent to appeal the decision, with chief executive Richard Wright claiming to be "shocked" by the verdict of the tribunal.

C'MON! SERIOUSLY?

Cummins Out.

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,986 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Jun 29 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No Mark. Absolutely not.

Using the "N" word to describe someone of afro-caribbean origin, or blatant homophobic comments at the gay and lesbian community is, rightly being slowly more socially unacceptable! Each year I see less evidence of it though it is still there, and still needs addressing.

Now, Sunday v Widnes, "nar then ya big ginger 2@" was hurled in my direction. We all had a chortle in the lagoon and got about our business of enjoying the afternoon.

Difference??
You know the job I do Mark, and that my toleration for anyobody or any organisation negatively discriminating anyone for any reason is non-existant. But the ginger comment did make me think - tho not too seriously! Had I have been black and the word ginger substituted for "black" in the above sentence - there would have been an entirely different response don't ya think?

Back to your question - in the 21st century people ought to be able to live as they wish without being subject to a barrage of abuse when doing their job. If their employers can't/won't protect them, then they deserve the wonga taking off them!

Gingers are tough though.

It's a good, strong stance by the RFL but that fine seems mighty steep.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Reading between the lines, it appears the size of the fine (relatively high if you check through the RFL's track record, which I haven't) is due much more to the way the club inadequetely reacted to and dealt with the situation rather than the initial incident.

#9 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

absoulutely ridiculous, what happened to freedom of speech, seriously what does Gareth Thomas expect if hes gonna come out publicly. disgracefully decision. im sure the punishment wouldnt have been as severe if it had been Wigan or Leeds fans.

#10 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

20,000 fine last year for throwing bottles at Ian Smith and Catalans players and now this sad.gif

I feel for all the genuine Castleford supporters as 60,000 worth of fines in a little under two years is going to hurt the club.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,986 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what does Gareth Thomas expect if hes gonna come out publicly.

I know, the big gay fool. How dare he want to go about his business without being abused by meatheads.

- Severus, July 2012

#12 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Jun 29 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know, the big gay fool. How dare he want to go about his business without being abused by meatheads.

RL is a mans sport at the end of the day. Not for public schooled pansies like RU.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,986 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RL is a mans sport at the end of the day. Not for public schooled pansies like RU.

I had no idea that Gareth Thomas was a Gentleman of private means. I had assumed he was a grubby professional.
- Severus, July 2012

#14 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

The sporting Life

"The club condemns any person who makes or chants obscene remarks towards players or officials. But the charges against the club are not that there was chanting, they are that the club failed to take its' best endeavours to prevent or stop any chanting.

"This the club refutes totally. The club has a well-established system for dealing with chanting and could not have done any more on the day."

Before the game on Sunday, Cas played the standard RFL tape/CD on abuse of players and officials but there was a constant chanted abuse of the referee throughout the game. Their only response was to play the tape again. I assume that this is their "well established system for dealing with chanting".

I know it happens elsewhere in response to individual incidents (including Bradford) but this was pretty incessant, particularly during the second half, and I can only wonder how much worse it might have been if Cas had lost the game.

I expect the usual suspects will suggest I should get a thicker skin and that it's just how people speak etc etc, but I should point out I'm not 'offended' by it at all, and can ignore any amount of foul mouthed chants (much as I would prefer not to) but it does show the club's earlier response to be nothing more than empty rhetoric.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#15 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

How can a club prevent chanting ?

I'm not defending the Cas fans or what they were chanting because there is clearly no place for that in a modern sport environment (or indeed any environment).

However, I fail to see how the club can prevent it happening. You can put up all the posters you like, play endless messages over the tannoy, write it in your programme but the bottom line is if some imbeciles decide to chant then there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

You can take action after or during the chanting against the offenders but you can not prevent it from happening in the first place, so to charge a club for failing to do so is nonsense. You may as well charge them with failing to prevent it raining. Both are impossible.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#16 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

Think the fine is over the top. And where do you draw the line between calling Homophobic chants and making fun of somebodies Natural hair colour, where they were born (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Australia etc)? Why is abusing officials seemingly OK and accepted by the RFL and certain players not? Just how far do Cas or any club go to stop a chant by a SMALL section of people before they do not get a fine? I cant see Cas being the only place Thomas got grief.

#17 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Jun 29 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before the game on Sunday, Cas played the standard RFL tape/CD on abuse of players and officials but there was a constant chanted abuse of the referee throughout the game. Their only response was to play the tape again. I assume that this is their "well established system for dealing with chanting".

I know it happens elsewhere in response to individual incidents (including Bradford) but this was pretty incessant, particularly during the second half, and I can only wonder how much worse it might have been if Cas had lost the game.

I expect the usual suspects will suggest I should get a thicker skin and that it's just how people speak etc etc, but I should point out I'm not 'offended' by it at all, and can ignore any amount of foul mouthed chants (much as I would prefer not to) but it does show the club's earlier response to be nothing more than empty rhetoric.

Arrrrrr yes the little girl who says "please respect our match officials and players, any foul and abusive lanuage will not be tolerated"

They played it four times twice after Bradford tries.

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

why is it always yawkshure clubs who have problems with their fans???, like i have always said civilised behaviour ends at saddleworth when travelling east on the m62.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jun 29 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why is it always yawkshure clubs who have problems with their fans???, like i have always said civilised behaviour ends at saddleworth when travelling east on the m62.

One yorkshire club, of course nothing ever happens in the "land that time forgot" west of the Pennines does it?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Jun 29 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can a club prevent chanting ?

I'm not defending the Cas fans or what they were chanting because there is clearly no place for that in a modern sport environment (or indeed any environment).

However, I fail to see how the club can prevent it happening. You can put up all the posters you like, play endless messages over the tannoy, write it in your programme but the bottom line is if some imbeciles decide to chant then there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

You can take action after or during the chanting against the offenders but you can not prevent it from happening in the first place, so to charge a club for failing to do so is nonsense. You may as well charge them with failing to prevent it raining. Both are impossible.

Did you read the article before typing? It's the club's inadequete response and efforts to stop the chanting that were punished.

"The tribunal was chaired by his Honour Judge Rodney Grant, who criticised the club for failing to take steps to stop the homophobic chanting, for failing to identify the perpetrators, for failing to challenge the chanting and for their failure to undertake a meaningful inquiry afterwards."

Your rain analogy is just absurd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users