grounds used for professional league

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

I have been attempting to work out how many there have been. I have used the date of 1980 as a cut off simply because that was my first game and when new clubs joined but there was litle movement in the previous 20 years ( Hunslet and Liverpool). I have only allowed for the UK not France

I reached about 125 as below. Who have I missed
one for Leeds, Castleford, Salford, Wakefield St helens, Batley, Halifax Featherstone, Barrow, Whitehaven, Workington, Widnes, Keighley, Hunslet( I think) and South Wales.

two for Leigh, Rochdale, Hull, Hull Kr, Warrington, Huddersfied, Wigan and Dewsbury plus Skolars who I believed used Finchley RU

Crusaders is I think only Bridgend, Newport and Wrexham
For London I have ten Fulham, Chelsea, C.Palace athleitcs, Charlton, Copthall, Watford, Polytechnic, Hendon plus Kingstonian and Crawley for cup games. They may have used Wealdstone
Sheffield also have a good total Owlerton, Don Valley, Sheffield utd, Rotherham RU and an athletic stadium plus all or most of Rotherham FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Chestefield
York is 3 the present ground the old one and the football club
Doncaster as a minimum is Tattersfield and the old and new football grounds plus Stainforth

I was less certain on the following Gateshead at the stadium and Kingston Park plus about three others Percy Park? High Heaton?
Oldham have used apart from grounds of others Whitebank, Boundary Park and Watersheddings plus I think Ashton Utd, Hyde and Stalybridge
Swinton have used Station Road, Bury and Sedgley Park

Blackpool is more confusing and in various guises I have the dog track, FC and Fylde plus Preston NE and Grasshoppers and Chorley. Did they use mechanics in the league or just the conference?

For defunct clubs I have Scarborough, carlisle at two and possibly Penrith, Bramley at Barley Mow and Farsley, Maidstone and Southend, Trafford at Altrincham and I also have Huyton, Runcorn, Wigan Athletc, St Helens FC and Prescot. Nottingham/ Mansfield were nomadic and played at Field Mill, Alfreton, Sutton Town, Harvey Haden and one or both of the Nottingham football stadia.
In Wales Bridgend FC, Arms Park, Swansea Morfa, Ninian Park, Ebbw Vale? Aberavon? (but certainly used for Fulham V Widnes)

I have then added Wembley ( one or two?) Millenium stadium, Murrayfield plus World cu, internationals or on the road games at Reebok? but definatley at Burnden Park, Northampton FC, Llanelli RU, Blackburn. Anfield, Leicester RU, Gloucester RU, Reading FC and I think Hearts and Swansea City.

I have not counted iDublin or the Isle of Man nor Scottish or Welsh internationals not venues used for the challenge cup such as Castleton, Hull Ioanians or Robin Park

How many more are there?

#2 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

Wakefield COULD count as 2, using Oakwell just once.

Cummins Out.

#3 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Jun 30 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wakefield COULD count as 2, using Oakwell just once.

I have Oakwell down as a probable for Sheffield but out of curiosity when and why did wakefield use it?

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

Ive seen...

Sheffield v Fev at Wakey (1989?)

Fev v Batley at Wakey (1983)

Oldham v Fev at Maine Road (1987)

Donny played a few home games at Fev last year.

There will be a lot of other oddities like these.........

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#5 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Sheffield have played 'home' games at:

Don Valley Stadium
Owlerton Stadium
Bramall Lane
Hillsborough
Clifton Lane (Rotherham RU)
Tattersfield (Doncaster RLFC)
Saltergate (Chesterfield FC)
Oakwell (Barnsley FC)
Hillsborough Sports Arena (home of Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks, friendly match v South West Yorks amateurs)
Woodburn Road Athletics Stadium (reserve games/Youngers Alliance League matches)
Thrum Hall
Belle Vue (Wakefield)
Cardiff Arms Park (Super League 'on the road' game)
Sixfields Stadium, Northampton (Super League 'on the road' game)
The McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield (boo! etc)

There was also a pre-season friendly one year at some non-league football ground (v South West Yorks amateurs), but I can't remember where. I was at the match but it was years ago.

I have also seen London Broncos play at Welford Road, Leicester

Other random grounds used: Kingsholm, Gloooooooooooooozterrrr (2000 WC match), Madjeski Stadium, Reading (2000 WC match)

Edited by West Country Eagle, 30 June 2010 - 01:57 PM.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#6 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

The Welsh historians would be able to tell you more, but if you count the Welsh Northern Union sides/early RL sides, there's a few.

Rodney Parade, Newport (Crusaders)
The Gnoll, Neath (South Wales Scorpions)
The Racecourse (Wales international matches, Crusaders)
Aberavon RU (Celtic Crusaders)
Brewery Field, Bridgend
Ninian Park (Cardiff Blue Bulls)
The Vetch Field, Swansea (internationals)
The Millennium Stadium
Cardiff Arms Park

Sure places like Pontypool, Ebbw Vale etc have been used too in the dim and distant past.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#7 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

As Fulham we did play two games at Wealdstone in 84/85, only GB games have been played at Watford and we've played a couple of 'on the road' games at Rodney Parade, Newport.

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick, 30 June 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#8 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Mike S @ Jun 30 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Oakwell down as a probable for Sheffield but out of curiosity when and why did wakefield use it?

Wakefield v Saints 1999, because BV was unavailable.

Cummins Out.

#9 WSCR

WSCR
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

Swinton have also played at Moor lane Kersal.

#10 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Boothferry Park in Hull

#11 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Gateshead played at Darlington FC last year.

#12 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hunslet have played their home games at 4 grounds since 1980 - Batley, Elland Road, Bramley and finally South Leeds Stadium.

Blackpool played a season of pro RL at the Blackpool Mechanics football ground.

Workington have played a small number of games at Borough Park football ground in the 80's before Derwent Park got floodlights.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#13 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Oldham also played Batley at Bloomfield Rd Blackpool.

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Tha Saints have played a couple of games at Anfield.

#15 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

I can't see a mention of Bradford. I can't think of any away from Odsal or Valley Parade in that time.

And Halifax would be two (Thrum Hall and The Shay), not one.

Edited by MrPosh, 30 June 2010 - 04:11 PM.

People called Romans they go the house

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Get hold of a copy of "The Grounds of Rugby League" by Trevor Delaney (ISBN 0-9509982-1-4; 1991) which will provide all of the missing gaps up to and including 1990.

All the rest should be easy after that date.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

Fulham played several games at Naughton Park and I'm sure they also played a game at Stamford Bridge.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Mike S @ Jun 30 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For defunct clubs I have Scarborough, carlisle at two and possibly Penrith, Bramley at Barley Mow and Farsley, Maidstone and Southend, Trafford at Altrincham and I also have Huyton, Runcorn, Wigan Athletc, St Helens FC and Prescot. Nottingham/ Mansfield were nomadic and played at Field Mill, Alfreton, Sutton Town, Harvey Haden and one or both of the Nottingham football stadia.
In Wales Bridgend FC, Arms Park, Swansea Morfa, Ninian Park, Ebbw Vale? Aberavon? (but certainly used for Fulham V Widnes)

I have then added Wembley ( one or two?) Millenium stadium, Murrayfield plus World cu, internationals or on the road games at Reebok? but definatley at Burnden Park, Northampton FC, Llanelli RU, Blackburn. Anfield, Leicester RU, Gloucester RU, Reading FC and I think Hearts and Swansea City.

GB definitely played Australia at the Reebok. Kent/Southend Invicta played at Maidstone FC (not sure of the name of the ground) and Roots Hall. New Hunslet played at the Elland Road Greyhound Stadium and Hunslet also played at Elland Road Stadium (home of Leeds Utd)

Edited by deluded pom?, 30 June 2010 - 05:19 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

Bradford also @ Welford Road (Leicester Tigers) and also Tynecastle (Hearts). The second is an on the road match circa 98 me thinks. Do these count?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

I think you should either take BSJ's advice or dedicate a single thread to every professional British rugby league team and ask for people to post which grounds they have played on.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users