League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

It's about time this great game got re united

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (clement @ Aug 6 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quins arnt viable whatever you call them.How long have they been in sl and how many times have the rfl bailed them out.Can't see the Crusaders been viable either.Probably propped up by the same rfl.Wonder how much thier coaching bill is with Noble,Sharp and Harris.Remember when the game was hard and fair both on and off the field.Doesn't seem too fair off it these days.To be honest i'm not too bothered if a club gos up and comes straight back down.It's seems to me morally wrong to deny them the chance to have a go.

If only the licences could be renewed every few years, give non S/L clubs something to aim at, maybe have lower grade S/L clubs at risk of going down.
Oh well, we can dream....
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#22 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Aug 6 2010, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's wrong with just going back to one division, then we would be properly reunited.

I assume that, as a traditionalist, you would agree with this?

It were 1 division and winter rugby last time we beat the Aussies.... wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

I've heard people bleeting about my club will die if the RFL don't do this that an' t'other for years. The only thing that kills clubs is spending more money than they can earn.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (clement @ Aug 6 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quins arnt viable whatever you call them.How long have they been in sl and how many times have the rfl bailed them out.

I don't think they ever have, but if you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to hear it.

Can't see the Crusaders been viable either.Probably propped up by the same rfl.

See above

Wonder how much thier coaching bill is with Noble,Sharp and Harris.

How is this relevant?

Remember when the game was hard and fair both on and off the field.

The words Maurice Bamford uses in his biography of Kevin Ashcroft are "vicious, cynical, brutal, nasty". I was watching then also and hard and fair it wasn't. Nor did coppers rule the streets with a kind word and a clip round the ear, but you probably believe that too.

Doesn't seem too fair off it these days.To be honest i'm not too bothered if a club gos up and comes straight back down.It's seems to me morally wrong to deny them the chance to have a go.

Thereby bankrupting themselves and condeming their supporters to years of misery or, worse still, the loss of their team.

What do you think about scrummaging by the way? Winter rugby maybe?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 6 2010, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if we've set a record for how many variations of exactly the same thread we can create in a year dry.gif

Oh the irony! biggrin.gif
In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#26 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (timtum @ Aug 6 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh the irony! biggrin.gif

beat me to it, swine tongue.gif

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Keith T @ Aug 6 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's only clubs trying to get promoted to the top division or trying to establish themselves in the top division who get in to huge debts then how come Man Utd are 760 million in debt????????????????????????????

because theybhave liquidity
they have the income to service the debt.
hope this helps.

Portsmouth on the other hand...

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 06 August 2010 - 06:55 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#28 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Lounge Room Lizard @ Aug 6 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sick to death of the RFL and the way it has ruined the game I love. Why would I pay 15 Pounds to watch a series of Friendlies where the best team is never allowed to get promoted?

A series of friendlies? Strange, I was under the impression that there was a trophy and medals being handed out at the end of the season for "the best team".

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Black Country Wire, 06 August 2010 - 11:12 PM.

Last new RL ground (77): The Gnoll, Neath - Wales v Cook Islands 10/11/13

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Black Country Wire @ Aug 7 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A series of friendlies? Strange, I was under the impression that there was a trophy and medals being handed out at the end of the season for "the best team".

rolleyes.gif

Considering they are friendlies there have been a lot of posts throughout the season about unfriendly acts by players on their friends.

Maybe the trophies are for who is most unfriendly to their friends. wacko.gif

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#30 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

Those in favour of franchising often cite 'the number of clubs that have been promoted to the top flight only to be relegated immediately and suffer the doom of bankruptcy' as a reason for its existence, and the abolition of promotion and relegation.
Who are these clubs that they speak of? I certainly can't think of any huh.gif
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

A "traditionalist" putting an end to licencing.

And HaroldShand, why not try research rather than recall?

#32 Chris_T

Chris_T
  • Coach
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

As a Batley fan I dont really have a problem with the lack of P&R, although we are entitled to apply for superleage we are realistic enough to know we are miles off the pace. If I were the RFL though I would be worried about the anger around the Champoionship, the precieved feeling of injustice. Although the numbers through the gates at the likes of Batley & Dewsbury are low there is a huge interest in the game in the area. Our recent challenge cup and NR cup runs showed this. I would imagine there are large numbers whom subscribe to Sky solely to watch RL. If the RLF alienate these fans and subscription falls then Sky money could be reduced. I feel a little better share of the wealth would help with the unrest. As far as im aware the Champoinship clubs get 100k to be spent on infustructure, another 100k to be spent solely on academy rugby would be a big long term benefit to the Championship clubs and the RFL as a whole, and taking 100k away from the current SL clubs may stop one mediocre Aussie import coming in. There are a number of very well run clubs in the Championship working on a tiny budget. With a little extra help from the RFL we could set an example to the SL of how a club should be run, close the gap a little and look to a 2 tier SL in the future. I am all for expansion but if its at the expense of the small heartland clubs then the game will suffer, its us that pay our sky subscriptions, its us that organise neutrals coach trips to Wembly, turn up at the Galpharm to Watch the Aussies let us win one to make it interesting. I think the jist of what im getting at, and I know it sounds pathetic, but We need to feel wanted, at the moment a lot feel we are just here to trial the RFLs wacky ideas, and to be told by SL fans that we are living in the past. SHARE THE WEALTH MAKE THE GAME STRONGER NOT SL STRONGER.

#33 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 6 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
beat me to it, swine tongue.gif

Congratulations PS. Two fish from one cast. wink.gif

rldfsignature.jpg

#34 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Chris_T @ Aug 7 2010, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a Batley fan I dont really have a problem with the lack of P&R, although we are entitled to apply for superleage we are realistic enough to know we are miles off the pace. If I were the RFL though I would be worried about the anger around the Champoionship, the precieved feeling of injustice. Although the numbers through the gates at the likes of Batley & Dewsbury are low there is a huge interest in the game in the area. Our recent challenge cup and NR cup runs showed this. I would imagine there are large numbers whom subscribe to Sky solely to watch RL. If the RLF alienate these fans and subscription falls then Sky money could be reduced. I feel a little better share of the wealth would help with the unrest. As far as im aware the Champoinship clubs get 100k to be spent on infustructure, another 100k to be spent solely on academy rugby would be a big long term benefit to the Championship clubs and the RFL as a whole, and taking 100k away from the current SL clubs may stop one mediocre Aussie import coming in. There are a number of very well run clubs in the Championship working on a tiny budget. With a little extra help from the RFL we could set an example to the SL of how a club should be run, close the gap a little and look to a 2 tier SL in the future. I am all for expansion but if its at the expense of the small heartland clubs then the game will suffer, its us that pay our sky subscriptions, its us that organise neutrals coach trips to Wembly, turn up at the Galpharm to Watch the Aussies let us win one to make it interesting. I think the jist of what im getting at, and I know it sounds pathetic, but We need to feel wanted, at the moment a lot feel we are just here to trial the RFLs wacky ideas, and to be told by SL fans that we are living in the past. SHARE THE WEALTH MAKE THE GAME STRONGER NOT SL STRONGER.

Good call

As a Leigh fan, removal of P&R will slowly kill off RL in Leigh with soccer being the main beneficiary. I've even heard rumours that Sale have though of moving to the LSV. Imagine in future if there is no hope of promotion, yet top notch RU offered week in week out...........it is a worrying thought

I live in London, but if P&R is not brought back at some stage I will be cancelling my sky sports subscription forever. I will also give up watching Quins RL for good

So you see, the anger of Co-Op fans will impact the RFL and SL clubs

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (HaroldShand @ Aug 7 2010, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those in favour of franchising often cite 'the number of clubs that have been promoted to the top flight only to be relegated immediately and suffer the doom of bankruptcy' as a reason for its existence, and the abolition of promotion and relegation.
Who are these clubs that they speak of? I certainly can't think of any huh.gif

Huddersfield Swinton up 74/75 down 75/76
Barrow Rochdale Leigh all up 75/76 down 76/77
Dewsbury Bramley Hunslet all up 76/77 all down 77/78
Barrow Rochdale Huddersfield all up 77/78 all down 78/79
Hunslet York Blackpool all up 79/80 all down 80/81
York Fulham Whitehaven all up 80/81 all down 81/82
Carlisle Workington Halifax all up 81/82 all down 82/83
Fulham Wakefield Salford Whitehaven all up 82/83 all down 83/84

Need I go on, this pattern has been repeated over and over again

Take a look carefully at those clubs and think about which teams have had financial troubles over the years.

Edited by Padge, 07 August 2010 - 08:55 AM.

#36 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 7 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good call

As a Leigh fan, removal of P&R will slowly kill off RL in Leigh with soccer being the main beneficiary. I've even heard rumours that Sale have though of moving to the LSV. Imagine in future if there is no hope of promotion, yet top notch RU offered week in week out...........it is a worrying thought

I live in London, but if P&R is not brought back at some stage I will be cancelling my sky sports subscription forever. I will also give up watching Quins RL for good

So you see, the anger of Co-Op fans will impact the RFL and SL clubs

I know two blokes who have started to watch Leigh this season and aren't arsed about promotion, a 2:1 ratio seems good to me, don't let the door hit your ###### on the way out. biggrin.gif

#37 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hull, HKR, Huddersfield, Castleford, Wakefield.........

They all seem to have coped with the effects of P&R fairly well.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,164 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 7 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Imagine in future if there is no hope of promotion, yet top notch RU offered week in week out...........it is a worrying thought

Yeah, for the poor people subjected to that!!

#39 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Aug 7 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hull, HKR, Huddersfield, Castleford, Wakefield.........

They all seem to have coped with the effects of P&R fairly well.

Hull bust had to merge with Gateshead.

For Huddersfield see Hull.

Wakefield are a great model of financial stability rolleyes.gif

A few clubs, those who have a long standing history of good levels of support can survive dipping a toe into relegation, the vast majority though cannot.

#40 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Aug 7 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few clubs, those who have a long standing history of good levels of support can survive dipping a toe into relegation, the vast majority though cannot.

Sorry but I don't agree with that nowadays.

It may have been true in the past but these days clubs are given automatic indemnity from their biggest financial liability in that when/if they go out of SL the players contracts become null and void.

What did for Workington (and Oldham to an extent) was dropping down and still having SL contract obligations without any SL income. Town's biggest creditors were the pool of players who's contracts they couldn't pay. Some of them had 2-3 years left on their contracts on SL-sized wages, the club simply didn't have the income to pay them after losing it's SL status. That risk has been removed from clubs these days.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users