• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,124 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 11 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These revisions are for Championship Clubs only. The Super League Clubs still have the same set criteria to aim for............

That makes sense.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#22 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Aug 11 2010, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That makes sense.

What, even to a Wiganer biggrin.gif wink.gif
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#23 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 11 2010, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but would Widnes have encouraged the youth this season if things were as they used to be, or perhaps played things differently?

Could the same be said for Toulouse ?? after the media fuss a few months back then this invite only marlarky, have there been given the silent nod, thus save money on the 1st team this season ?

#24 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Aug 12 2010, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could the same be said for Toulouse ?? after the media fuss a few months back then this invite only marlarky, have there been given the silent nod, thus save money on the 1st team this season ?

As opposed to a noisy nod? huh.gif
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#25 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Aug 11 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For championship clubs.

For stadium it was 12,000, revised down now to 10,000

Stadium operating at at least 40% capaicity revised down to minimum of 2,500 average

Turnover was 4m revised down to 1m

Remember these were not must haves previously but you were awarded points for them.

Although the criterea have been revised down in some areas on pitch qualifiers have been added because of all the whinging.

Since anyone could apply last time there was no need for the option of invitation to apply which has been added this time.

Overall because the situation this year is different to the first round most of the criterea have been revised or tweaked in some way

The revisions seem to have been made to ensure that a championship club will meet them thus the RFL can say with confidence that a Championship side will move up.

Where the RFL slip up is that they fail to make it clear what is going to happen.

This is how I read it and this is what the RFL should be saying (unless I'm wrong and then they shouldn't)

Clubs outside who qualify or are invited to apply for SL will be assesed first and one or more clubs will be selected for promotion or invitation to enter SL as a new club (not over likely).
Once it is known how many clubs will be moving into SL then a matching number of SL clubs, the required number of clubs scoring the least on the criteria will be relegated, regardless of the fact that they may score more than the Championship club or clubs promoted.

Edited: following BJ's post

Cheers.

The bit in bold is strange.

Simple two up, two down with certain criteria is my choice.

#26 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (R J Wagsmith @ Aug 11 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has also been stated that one team from the Championship will definitely be promoted to Superleague. But what if all the other bids from current Superleague clubs are self-evidently better? Fair and just? I think not. But, no matter, the Gods have spoken.

agreed, the guarentee to the championhip clubs was a mistake IMHO.. luckily there is widnes there who should be able to step up and will hopefeully hve a better bid than at least one club.. but its a dangerous game to play.. the best 14 should be up there and there should be no guarentee of anything IMO.
Featherstone Rovers should now be celebrating promotion.

even under P&R they had to win the grand final to get promoted!

#27 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (RP London @ Aug 12 2010, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The guarentee to the championhip clubs was a mistake IMHO.. luckily there is widnes there who should be able to step up and will hopefeully hve a better bid than at least one club.

This stems for me from the RFL's political choice not to demote anyone last time out when some of the bids of existing SL clubs will have been worse than they stand now, as they rush to stadiums and youth development.

That left the difficult choice of refusing a rock solid Widnes bid from an SL club squeezed out by the early advent of franchising (Cats, Quins). Past owners were blamed for the failure of the bid, and despite O'Connor waving the sort of fat cheque at the RFL that would normally have them salivating and over ride any sense of correctness they were refused.

Leigh were refused and showed public petulance, Widnes in contrast held their tongues and got on with it.

It all smacks of Mr O'Connor being placated by a guarantee, and a rule invented to ensure that guarantee - after all who else in the NL's ever fitted then, or now, the bill to be the "chosen one" for promotion

I don't think that this was luck - it was all calculated.

I do think it was a mistake though as we see posters stating the obvious - that this time round "in theory" there could be 14 better bids across SL than anyone in the championship. A recipe for injustice?

That there won't be 14 better bids, adds to what I believe is the obvious - that place was promised to Widnes.

I don't think that's right, they had a top six bid two years ago and should have gone in then, but if it headed off some sort of revolt then fair enough.

And that's the factor we have no knowledge of - angry protestations behind closed doors......

#28 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 12 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This stems for me from the RFL's political choice not to demote anyone last time out when some of the bids of existing SL clubs will have been worse than they stand now, as they rush to stadiums and youth development.

That left the difficult choice of refusing a rock solid Widnes bid from an SL club squeezed out by the early advent of franchising (Cats, Quins). Past owners were blamed for the failure of the bid, and despite O'Connor waving the sort of fat cheque at the RFL that would normally have them salivating and over ride any sense of correctness they were refused.

Leigh were refused and showed public petulance, Widnes in contrast held their tongues and got on with it.

It all smacks of Mr O'Connor being placated by a guarantee, and a rule invented to ensure that guarantee - after all who else in the NL's ever fitted then, or now, the bill to be the "chosen one" for promotion

I don't think that this was luck - it was all calculated.

I do think it was a mistake though as we see posters stating the obvious - that this time round "in theory" there could be 14 better bids across SL than anyone in the championship. A recipe for injustice?

That there won't be 14 better bids, adds to what I believe is the obvious - that place was promised to Widnes.

I don't think that's right, they had a top six bid two years ago and should have gone in then, but if it headed off some sort of revolt then fair enough.

And that's the factor we have no knowledge of - angry protestations behind closed doors......

it also quitens the "closed shop" people supposedly becuase there will be a change.. which shouldnt be the key IMHO..

i also think it was calculated.. i meant "luckily" because they could say it this time becuase they were there.. and Widnes didnt have any issues in the last year since saying it.. there is a bit of luck that something didnt happen to cuase issues, salary cap infrignement etc (not saying they are prone to it or anything before widnes fans jump on me) sametimes you dont see these thngs coming.. Will they guarentee it next time round.. i would say that would be very very dangerous for them..

Edited by RP London, 12 August 2010 - 09:43 AM.

#29 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

They'll guarantee a team promotion based on minimum criteria again, if no club meets them then they can legally make no change, best compromise. The only clubs that might meet them in 2015 (aside from invited overseas clubs) are Halifax and at a push Leigh IMO. They both might fall short

Edited by bowes, 12 August 2010 - 11:12 AM.

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Why were these amended requirements only made public last week?

They sound reasonable enough standards to reach, so why the cloak & dagger?

It's symptomatic of the confusion and wooliness that surrounds the whole process.

Annual P&R for mine with clearly defined minimum standards. Set the levels, meet them, then get promoted when you win the league.

A Fev Blog

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Aug 11 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks. Nice to see it in blood as it were, even these words, "That will put additional pressure on Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, Castleford Tigers and Salford City Reds to deliver their promised new grounds. All three clubs were warned last year their existing facilities do not meet requirements."

Edited by JohnM, 12 August 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#32 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 11 2010, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all know Celtic Crusaders and London Broncos were by invitation, so what's the difference ?

The RFL will do what they think is best, whether or not it actually is.

I think they were hoping Toulouse would qualify properly within the rules, but as they haven't they will get an invite anyway.

It's a done deal then, Castleford and Wakefield out and Widnes and Toulouse in.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,124 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (bendyas @ Aug 12 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers.

Its not realy strange its just something we are not used to.

Straight two up two down may be your's and some other peoples choice, my choice is the way it is with some possible tweaking.

Clubs cannot bleed money out of the game like they have in the past, money that comes in has to be invested within the game and not used to line players pockets either through inflated wages or large signing on fees that do nothing for the game as a whole.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 12 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a done deal then, Castleford and Wakefield out and Widnes and Toulouse in.

I don't think so Mick.

Widnes in definitely..........

The rule on inviting an overseas club into SL logically is more about keeping the options open.

At Barcelona there were 18,000 fans, in Paris there's an idea that a big investment is possible in an RL club.

Toulouse - aren't they the club that has knocked on the door for years and for years there's been no answer??

As for Cas and Wakey it's easy to bracket them. Lets see if the wakey plans are passed, and let's see if the Cas plans are put in to be passed.......

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,124 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 12 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why were these amended requirements only made public last week?

Perhaps because they weren't, they have been known for months.

#36 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

Is there time to form a peoples republic of Cumbria? ph34r.gif

#37 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Aug 12 2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps because they weren't, they have been known for months.

Link to anything before Aug 4th please.

A Fev Blog

#38 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 13 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Link to anything before Aug 4th please.

Nicked from the "At Least One Super League club to lose licence in 2011, RFL Confirm" thread.

The Halifax Courier quoting League Express;

A few quotes;
RFL U-turn over Super League licence for Toulouse?

Published Date: 02 March 2010
By James Roberts
RUGBY Football League officials were forced to beat an embarrassing retreat over the Super League licensing process last night after claims French hopefuls Toulouse had been given exemption from the criteria applied to English Championship clubs.
Under the governing body's own rules, which were originally released in 2008 and re-affirmed only last summer, only clubs that have appeared in a Championship Grand Final or won the Northern Rail Cup can lodge applications for a top flight place in 2012 and beyond.

But a report yesterday in the 'League Express' newspaper, which quoted an unnamed RFL official, claimed Toulouse would be judged by "different criteria", including being exempt from that requirement.

But by early evening, the RFL had performed a U-turn, issuing a brief statement insisting that Toulouse would have to pass the same on-field milestones as other clubs.

While the background to yesterday's confusion remains unclear, it will have done little to inspire confidence in a system that is already regarded with suspicion by many observers.

Article in full

#39 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Aug 11 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So..the RFL cant even get the infomation correct on their own website (Barrow didnt win the NRC this season), yet they are trusted to get the infomation correct about the licences. Fills you full of hope doesnt it?

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (bendyas @ Aug 12 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers.

Or an expanded SL maybe?

mellow.gif

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users