Luke Briscoe to Leeds

hrtbps

Already a done deal? Will we expect to have him back on DR for the rest of the season?

Apparently he's trained with them this morning:

And could be named in their squad against Catalan:

Where would this leave us for wingers for the rest of the season?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

Already a done deal? Will we expect to have him back on DR for the rest of the season?

Apparently he's trained with them this morning:

And could be named in their squad against Catalan:

Where would this leave us for wingers for the rest of the season?

There's the possibility that he's going to turn out on DR for them...........

"He will return to the LD Nutrition Stadium in October to commence the remaining season of his three-year deal with the Rovers, which expires at the end of the 2019 campaign. "

Briscoe " can be recalled by Featherstone on dual-registration terms from as early as this weekend"

2 ways of looking at this I guess. One, its payback time for all the help they have given us. But two, it's a clever short-term arrangement to provide a legal way that he can play for them whilst they are missing Ryan Hall and others. Will be interesting to see if it's just a one-off.

Lets get this straight...A team down to its last seventeen fit bodies and on the verge of possibly missing out on the top four loans its best player as a thankyou to its parent club. A club by the way that could go out and cherry pick anybody with its financial muscle. Surely its a joke.

So if my maths are right we managed just to get 17 players for Sunday no dr available . So we lose a player no dr so we have only 16 players . This top 4 is going to be a tough get . Unless and I hope the club have a player ready to come in

1 minute ago, Michael Bates said:

Unless we've absolutely had our pants taken down, he'll play for Leeds tomorrow, and for us for the rest of the season, including this upcoming weekend, surely?

There must be method in the madness. Some back door deal must be in place. Whatever it is?

This seems a bizarre arrangement on the face of it, unless there's been a fee or Briscoe's wages paid which allows for you to bring someone else in. But even then, fact that you're playing you're own players on DR terms means you're even more at the mercy of Leeds, and need Leeds to have no injury problems during the big games in July. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Unless we've absolutely had our pants taken down, he'll play for Leeds tomorrow, and for us for the rest of the season, including this upcoming weekend, surely?

Not sure you can play twice in the same round of fixtures.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Briscoe " can be recalled by Featherstone on dual-registration terms from as early as this weekend"

Says in the report phiggins he can play this weekend. I imagine because Leeds are playing tomorrow in a rearranged fixture so not technically the same round.

Sounds worse than speedway to me. He goes to Leeds on loan for the rest of the season yet will be allowed to play for Fev on DR when not required by Leeds. Just how does this accord with the theory behind DR (GH's invention remember), or is that now simply being laughed off?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sounds worse than speedway to me. He goes to Leeds on loan for the rest of the season yet will be allowed to play for Fev on DR when not required by Leeds. Just how does this accord with the theory behind DR (GH's invention remember), or is that now simply being laughed off?

I think Leeds are loaning us 17 players on Saturday in return.???

14 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Says in the report phiggins he can play this weekend. I imagine because Leeds are playing tomorrow in a rearranged fixture so not technically the same round.

Ah, my mistake. Thought they were playing Thursday, not Weds.

Either way, I don't think arrangements like this will do Hetherington's credibility any good when it comes to debates about structure. Looks like he's taking the D/R system as close to feeder club system as possible.

The sport is in disarray at Reserve level when a affluent super league club has to come calling for a championship player. The amateur game has gone to pot because of the number of players who have turned their backs on a game that offers them no hope of rising to the top. Now clubs are actually sharing players?

playing devil's advocate here...
1) it does sound like it might just be effectively a 1-match loan. Of course, he could get injured, which is a concern, but if he'd been picked to play in a representative game he could get injured, do we begrudge him the chance to play on the SL stage after all his efforts this year?
2) the story on the website seems to be telling us he will be seeing out his three-year contract here next season. After all the reports of interest from SL clubs/Toronto etc, I must admit I didn't really see that happening, but maybe it will?
3) this move is either, depending on your point of view a brilliantly-conceived  plan by Hetherington/MC and perfectly within the rules, or a devious plan that makes a mockery of the rules and the whole RL set-up. Can see both points of view.

Archived