today

Robin  Evans

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes great defensive effort, a nice change to see us take an easy 2pts too, which turned out to be a match winning descision

Its all about grounding out results this time of year, will be no better or easier next week up at haven

Spears defensively awesome as was Hardman, never looked like dropping a ball today

I think Batley will be kicking themselves tonight, much like us last week they were hard done by to end up with nowt. That said, it was a big win for us. That was exactly the type of game we would have lost last year. The difference in shape and defensive organisation from last season is obvious. We really look like a team this year, last year there were too many individuals and not enough direction. Lots of positives to take from today's performance. One area of concern though is our weakness at kicks into the corners. Two tries conceded that way last week and one today. It needs addressing, other than that I'm one happy fan.

Really enjoyed an old fashioned game of rugby league,We do need to sort out the hooking position ,It is one of the most important positions on the field.Think on the balance of play a draw would have been a fitting result,but i am happy we managed to secure the two points.On a raw day like today i assure you it's better to be playing than watching.

Agree with all the sentiments above about the " old fashioned style " game,these are the games I like to see,never over until that whistle blows,if Batley would have clinched it at the end I would have had no beef about it,but it was a fantastic and important 2 pts for us.Massive defensive effort and obviously we give ourself every chance of winning a game when you keep a team down to 12 pts.Well done lads and up the Rovers.

Forza Fev

Looking at some of the contributions on the batley forum it appears the result influences the objectivity and 'enjoyment factor' of the game.

Given last year's performances I expected batley to breach our line when they finally got the opportunity late on. There was 5 mins left... up to that point all of us shivering in our group found the game thoroughly absorbing.... The last 5 mins wouldn't have changed that.

Of course the result means elation or disappointment and I accept that is a factor.

But on an absolute pudding of a pitch that was a thoroughly committed effort from both teams with the result in doubt right up to the hooter.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I thought that the second half was a bit of a struggle to be honest, and for the main we offered very little in the form of attack. Fantastic defence though and importantly we found a way to win a very hard game in tough conditions. Hopefully on a better pitch and once the players get to know each other better our quality of rugby will improve. All in all though I enjoyed my trip over and will be back for the Oldham match.

Think Batley are legit top 4 contenders this year so good to grind out a win in a game that clearly could have gone either way. They had the better of the forward tussle but we kicked better overall which helped our cause. We missed Craven's incursions into the line with him playing 9 but his kicking from dummy half was superb. One thing we might want to reconsider is whether charging down kicks is really a good percentage play, I know it paid off once last week but overall it seems like the most frequent outcome is another set of 6 for the opposition, as happened twice yesterday.

Looking at some of the contributions on the batley forum it appears the result influences the objectivity and 'enjoyment factor' of the game.

Given last year's performances I expected batley to breach our line when they finally got the opportunity late on. There was 5 mins left... up to that point all of us shivering in our group found the game thoroughly absorbing.... The last 5 mins wouldn't have changed that.

Of course the result means elation or disappointment and I accept that is a factor.

But on an absolute pudding of a pitch that was a thoroughly committed effort from both teams with the result in doubt right up to the hooter.

Well of two posters at most Robin. Most agree with your summary. Equally, you state the obvious! Of course the result affects the enjoyment of a game! l enjoyed a close game, played by two even teams who gave it their all, but would have been happier with a win!

Fantastic game which no side deserved to lose, Batley were brilliant in making yards from their own line when under pressure, but it was the kicking skills of Craven. Briggs and Thackeray that kept pegging them back, they seemed to have got the range spot on, very few went dead and many held up near the line. Craven's kicking to touch from penalties was awesome, he was getting 20-30 yards more than Brambani every time, which in a game like that was a major factor. He did ok at hooker too, but Fev  missed him coming into the line from the back, although Hardman was outstanding there

. When everyone's fit I'd like to see Ian and Danny alternate the full back position, Craven at 1 when attacking and Hardman at the back when defending, probably playing centre when Fev have the ball. It's a modern game and the number on your back doesn't dictate where you line up in defence.

Awesome game, great defensive effort from both sides. Any news on injuries? Hope it's no more than a sprained ankle for Briggsy. Strange to see Davies knock on that many times in one game but a strong defensive effort from him. Ian Hardman reliable as ever under pressure.

We're missing a recognised hooker, who could we go for?

Archived