Sad news - Terry Newton

ckn

RIP Terry Newton.

some people may disagree,but although terry newton was banned, he deserves some respect,and i think this tragedy should make the rfl think about how banned players are treated.this tragedy may be down to depression(speculation),a man who only knows rugby since been a child suddenly becomes unemployed and then what does he do? counselling must be a top priority in these situations.players should not just be abandoned for making a silly decision.sad loss to rugby league.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Terry Newton.

some people may disagree,but although terry newton was banned, he deserves some respect,and i think this tragedy should make the rfl think about how banned players are treated.this tragedy may be down to depression(speculation),a man who only knows rugby since been a child suddenly becomes unemployed and then what does he do? counselling must be a top priority in these situations.players should not just be abandoned for making a silly decision.sad loss to rugby league.

Agreed but I have to say this is not the time. See gingerjon's blog.

In the pub this afternoon celebrating an old mate's 60th when this news came through. I can't remember when I last felt such a sense of despair. How could this happen?

This just shouldn't happen. I feel so sad for him and his family, and can only imagine the darkness that must have driven him to it.

R.I.P.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

What can you say?

:(

I always think if you really have it in for an opposition player, it's because you'd secretly like him in your team - well that's not maybe always true - but in Newton's case it was.

So so sad - RIP Terry

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Tragic news my thoughts go out to his poor wife, kids and parents. What a terrible waste of life from somebody who still had so much to offer the game of rugby league.

Please let him be remembered for the right reasons he was a fantastic player one of the very best.

He made one mistake and credit to him he held his hands up

R.I.P

FOXY.jpg

Love him or hate him as a player, we all talked about him, which showed what impact he could have on a game.

Loved watchin him at Bulls and also getting stuck into the Aussies at test level.

RIP.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I haven't posted on here for months, but I think this is an event worth commenting on.

Terry was someone who gave everything to the game, possibly sometimes he put too much into it.

Whatever, happened, it shouldn't have ended this way. RIP Terry, you'll be missed.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

It's good to see everyone remembering the great player he was, as pointed out by many he was always up for games against the Aussies and they respected him for it. Sad the way things have ended, but Terry appears to have been a troubled soul during the last few months and this must be an awful time for his family.

RIP Terry

RIP Terry Newton.

I agree completely. His banning was a devastating blow to the man, and he deserved some psychological counselling in the light of his lifetime of service to our game.

If something good is to come out of this tragedy, then I hope it is that the rugby league officialdom thinks about ways to provide psychological counselling to players in need, and that includes players who have been banned.

The man still had some playing future ahead of him. What a terrible waste of a valuable life.

RIP

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

I agree completely. His banning was a devastating blow to the man, and he deserved some psychological counselling in the light of his lifetime of service to our game.

If something good is to come out of this tragedy, then I hope it is that the rugby league officialdom thinks about ways to provide psychological counselling to players in need, and that includes players who have been banned.

The man still had some playing future ahead of him. What a terrible waste of a valuable life.

RIP

well said

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Strange one this. I was never a fan of Newton even when he played for Leeds.

What he was though is 100% committed to RL and that he should be remembered for.

His problems were I think to due to his own choices whether he was badly advised or not is a separate matter.

Whatever his problems leaving a family to cope with the aftermath to me seems a bit of a cowards way out to me.

I'm sorry if that offends some folk but that is my opinion.

Still think the game as a whole should remember him next weekend though and think about how it supports other players who end up in situations that change their lives.