The TV Thread

John, I thought you lived in Bradford. This premise of this show is not unrealistic.

I can see where you're wanting this to go, and I'm not following, other than to lift this quote from the above story on the website:

Harry Benson, from the Marriage Foundation, said the principle of arranged marriage was proven to be successful, but warned it required the strong social support of families and plenty of time to adapt.

Saying the programme’s opt-out clause risked “trivialising” the commitment required for marriage, he added: “Instead of getting married with clarity and intent about their future, these couples will still be in a relationship that is riddled with ambiguity. Nobody gets married with an easy opt-out clause a few weeks later. It simply undermines commitment from the very beginning.”

I've no idea what the Marriage Foundation is, but I think their Mr Benson has a fair point here.

And it is a risible idea for a TV show.

I can see where you're wanting this to go, and I'm not following, other than to lift this quote from the above story on the website:

Harry Benson, from the Marriage Foundation, said the principle of arranged marriage was proven to be successful, but warned it required the strong social support of families and plenty of time to adapt.

Saying the programme’s opt-out clause risked “trivialising” the commitment required for marriage, he added: “Instead of getting married with clarity and intent about their future, these couples will still be in a relationship that is riddled with ambiguity. Nobody gets married with an easy opt-out clause a few weeks later. It simply undermines commitment from the very beginning.”

I've no idea what the Marriage Foundation is, but I think their Mr Benson has a fair point here.

And it is a risible idea for a TV show.

The things you find out looking for memory confirmation:

Birmingham radio station BRMB has married two sets of couples, and both of these contests have sparked a national interest. In 1999, the first couple were matched by a panel of relationship counsellors and astrologers, including astrologer Russell Grant. The groom was 28 year-old Greg Cordell, a sales manager, and his chosen bride was Carla Germaine, a 23 year-old former model. Also to make it to the last 4 girls was her long term school friend Joanna Scragg.

The couple married, on air nationally and online, however they soon split after the wedding. Carla later met and married Jeremy Kyle,[1] who at the time was one of the radio station's DJs. They now have their own family together.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I watched George Galloway's new half-hour weekly show Sputnik ... on RT HD every Saturday.

I'd recommend that it's worth a watch if it's repeated and worth recording/watching next week.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

BBC2 'Comedy Vault' programme just started - should be some good stuff.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blimey! No wonder Madness never got that sitcom past pilot!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished - see it on the iPlayer, as there's lots of stuff you may never have seen before, and some odd stuff you may only dimly remember.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished - see it on the iPlayer, as there's lots of stuff you may never have seen before, and some odd stuff you may only dimly remember.

I watched it. I thought it was an hour well spent.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On Masterchef tonight, the contestants have to cook for Ferran Adria.

That'd be like X-Factor hopefuls having to submit their songwriting efforts to McCartney & Zappa.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just catching up with the Trip.  Loving it.  It's just a delight.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Eight one... eight bloody one!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Just started on the Yesterday channel, a profile of Richard Feynman. Watch it. A remarkable and entertaining man.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just started watching Orange is the new Black on Netflix, very well structured and very funny.

Fargo, the TV series is in danger of destroying it's earlier promise with too many filler episodes and the producers obvious desire to be 'kooky'.

Edited by markleeds

Just started watching Orange in the new Black on Netflix, very well structured and very funny.

I've seen a few trailers for this, and it looks quite fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fargo, the TV series is in danger of destroying it's earlier promise with too many filler episodes and the producers obvious desire to be 'kooky'.

Really? I think it's been very good. The 'kookyness' has always been a big part of it, just like the film version. Really enjoying it.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Sky Arts getting in the World Cup spirit with Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio.

I see Ferdinand was a tv pundit tonight. I suppose he must feel at home.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 2 weeks later...

ITV doing a bit of a Rik Mayall tribute tonight - the first epsisode of 'The New Statesman', followed by 'Dancing Queen', the comedy drama where Helena Bonham Carter essays a Northern accent and takes her top off.

Ralph Waldo Emerson